• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah India's batting will be the key, although unless Mcgain turns out to be a real surprise, I cant see how Australia will take 20 wickets to win a game. If India bat well, I dont think there is much that the Australians can do in terms of bowling quality to get them out. Personally, whilst I think Lee might have some success, I fear S. Clark wont pose much of a threat other than be economical. However, along with India's batting, a lot depends on the pitches, so its hard to make a clear prediction. In traditional Indian conditions, this series should be a walkover for India, and yet if they prepare wickets like the most recent Motera test (and lets be honest, Bangalore is notorious for these sorts of wickets), the result could be different.
Agreed. It's absolutely ridiculous that we are let pitches like this go unpunished, or knowingly prepare pitches like this. This is one of India's best home advantages. If you want home advantage, you prepare pitches that suit the home style of play, and not whine about the practice facilities provided to the opposition.

pup11

International Coach
Pup's a brand new dog.

Good article from Roebuck, i agree with him on this, Clarke' growth as a mature and reliable player has been pretty heartening to see as an Aussies fan, his transformation has been a bit similar to Dhoni, they both were dashers at the starts of their respective careers, but with time and added responsibility they both have developed into mature and reliable batsmen and that only made them better and more consistent players.

That's why i believe Clarke' bad patch of form is a real issue for the Aussies leading into this series, he would have to come good because if he fails that would make things really tough for the Aussies.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Agreed. It's absolutely ridiculous that we are let pitches like this go unpunished, or knowingly prepare pitches like this. This is one of India's best home advantages. If you want home advantage, you prepare pitches that suit the home style of play, and not whine about the practice facilities provided to the opposition.
I think you gotta understand that the curators don't have magic wand in their hands with which they can make pitches spin friendly, they have to work along the natural nature of a particular pitch, Indian pitches like most of the pitches around the world have slowed down, so even when they keep the pitch dry the spinner gets the turn, but its slow turn which good batsmen manage to play easily, so its better India tries to prepare sporting test wickets which would have something in it for everyone (fast bowlers, spinners and batsmen).

pup11

International Coach
Doug v Mitch

My spies tell me that Doug has the inside running.
I don't know what Johnson is trying to say there, he obviously is unable to swing the new ball due to his piss-poor wrist position and that's also the reason behind his waywardness, so with all those issues what makes him think he would reverse the ball and even if he somehow does what makes him think he would bowl in the right areas to trouble the batsmen.

I hope he gets smashed all around the park in the practice game, so Bollinger could step-in ahead of him in the first test.

pup11

International Coach
With Bowden coming in for the 3rd and 4th test matches, both teams can rule out the possibility of getting any lbw decisions in their favour from him.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know what Johnson is trying to say there, he obviously is unable to swing the new ball due to his piss-poor wrist position and that's also the reason behind his waywardness, so with all those issues what makes him think he would reverse the ball and even if he somehow does what makes him think he would bowl in the right areas to trouble the batsmen.

I hope he gets smashed all around the park in the practice game, so Bollinger could step-in ahead of him in the first test.
Johnson's has never been terribly accurate nor able to swing the ball consistently, though. What got him into the side was hitting the deck hard, zipping it away for variation. He's tried mucking about with it for months now (because apparently every leftie just has to be able to swing the ball or they're nothing) and he's paying the price. I reckon it's a good thing he's just trying to get his action working for him again and not trying to swing the ball because everyone says he has to. It didn't work for McGrath in the early days and he's an all-time great so a lesser light like Johnson was always going to struggle with bowling in a completely different way, really.

For that reason too, if the selectors deem him unsuitable for India, then don't select him. But turning him into something he's not seems like it'd ruin him for when conditions do suit him and that's pretty much what's happened so far.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What a joke. Casson should have been on the tour. They gave Steve Waugh a walking stick for his 100th test, maybe they should give one to McGain for the tour.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
What a joke. Casson should have been on the tour. They gave Steve Waugh a walking stick for his 100th test, maybe they should give one to McGain for the tour.
Agreed, especially as they new McGain was carrying an injury. Maybe they should just play four seamers - surely Bollinger will outperform Krejzka regardless of the conditions.

inbox24

International Debutant
Jaques
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Watson
Haddin
Krejza
Lee
Johnson
Clark

Easily the our worst line-up since the 90s, beats even the injury hit squad which played against India at home 4 years ago. We're essentially relying on 2 bowlers and 1 and a half batsmen to get us home.

Oh help us.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Uh, one and a half batsmen how exactly?

Two of those batsmen are proven performers in India, four of them are proven performers at test level and three of them would be strong contenders for a World XI.

Obviously Watson, Haddin and Jaques are unproven but none of them are exactly terrible.

The bowling is obviously quite weak as a complete unit because Johnson is unproven and Krezja is pretty much bottom of the barrel in terms of spin stocks. Could still be a lot worse though given who the other two are, and I prefer it to Lee (the old version), Bracken, Williams and MacGill that we had for a test in 03/04.

Last edited: