• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
"He said the umpire review system, recently trialled in the India-Sri Lanka series, would not be in place for the upcoming four-Test contest. "I have heard very good things about it but I believe it won't be used till later this year and likely in our series against South Africa." "

Ugh. Another bad idea. I hope we actually talk about the cricket this time, but if there is no review system, and people start taking fielders words for catches, I don't think that'll happen.

There had been concerns, among both the BCCI and the Indian media, over the extensive arrangements provided by the RCA for the visitors in Jaipur, and Ponting said their practice had been ideal. "It was perfect for us; I know there were lots of speculation in the media whether we should have been allowed to do what we did but as far as the preparation goes it was absolutely perfect for us. We played on different types of wickets and against lots of bowlers."
I'm glad Ponting found the accommodations perfect, but he shouldn't be saying that in the Indian media. Someone may lose their job. :p

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Oh God, that is a ****ty idea if I ever heard one. Why court controversy?
Things went sour last time around when this these two teams faced each other, so obviously India won't agree to any pact, so it was obviously needless to say something like this, but tbf to Punter he has been advocating for such pact between teams for a long time now but none of the teams have ever agreed to it, so by now he should have dropped the idea, saying such a thing in front of the Indian media is the worst thing to do, as they are desperately waiting for the Aussies to give them hint of a reason to cook up another controversy, so Ricky should be careful with the kind of words he chooses both on and off field through this tour.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
His moralising about catches and "The Spirit of the Game" wouldn't irritate me so much if he had an unblemished track record. Is this the same man who spat out his dummy when Damien Martyn and Gary Pratt ran him out at Trent Bridge? Is this the same captain who, with his team, physically pushed the presentation party off the podium after winning a trophy? Is this the same man who refuses to walk when out but displays his fury when wrongly given out? Is this the same skipper who has constantly confronted and carped at umpires when decisions went against his team when fielding?

Punter, give it a break. You're a truly great player, but Champion of The Spirit of Cricket you ain't.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Aussie players words cannot be taken so its a good move by ICC to consult the 3rd umpire.....
A comment worthy of YouTube... I don't think it's only Aussies that make unreliable witnesses. Every team has had players that have claimed catches that they don't know to have been cleanly taken.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Aussie players words cannot be taken so its a good move by ICC to consult the 3rd umpire.....
I don't think you can take the word of any party who has a stake in the outcome. It's just obvious, it has nothing to do with being Australian.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Who are the neutrals in this thread supporting? I'm behind the crims, tbh
I think most neutrals will understandably support the Australians. If I didn't grow up in India, there is no way in hell I'd like any BCCI-sponsored team, though some members of the team try really hard to be unlikeable. But in the end, their board and domestic system is fantastic, and they're really awesome to watch.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Supporting Australia for sure, may even place a bet on them for the series for some interest.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Supporting India - not a particularly lovable team but I'm always happy to see Australia beaten at cricket. It doesn't happen often enough for my liking!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Australia's bowling woes over-rated

Yes i think has been for this series. Especially given that India's batting is basically depending on Sehwag & the Famous 4 are past their best. I personally reckon the Lee/Clark combination can give India's batsmen enough headache on this tour.

When ENG where in IND 01, things were WAYYYYY worst than this & India's famous 4 where all in prime form & yet they were kept in check.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"He said the umpire review system, recently trialled in the India-Sri Lanka series, would not be in place for the upcoming four-Test contest. "I have heard very good things about it but I believe it won't be used till later this year and likely in our series against South Africa." "

Ugh. Another bad idea. I hope we actually talk about the cricket this time, but if there is no review system, and people start taking fielders words for catches, I don't think that'll happen.

I'm glad Ponting found the accommodations perfect, but he shouldn't be saying that in the Indian media. Someone may lose their job. :p
I think the agreement thing is dead in the water now. Originally I was in favour of it as a noble gesture. The only problem is the agreement is then only as good as the word of the least noble person in the team. If that person claims a catch that isn't, it also makes the captain look terrible, not just the fielder at issue.

tooextracool

International Coach
The outcome of this series is gonna boil down to how well India bat, as John Wright correctly pointed out.

If they can consistently put big runs on the board, they are in with a real shot.

I'm hoping India do bat well for the sake of the series.
Yeah India's batting will be the key, although unless Mcgain turns out to be a real surprise, I cant see how Australia will take 20 wickets to win a game. If India bat well, I dont think there is much that the Australians can do in terms of bowling quality to get them out. Personally, whilst I think Lee might have some success, I fear S. Clark wont pose much of a threat other than be economical. However, along with India's batting, a lot depends on the pitches, so its hard to make a clear prediction. In traditional Indian conditions, this series should be a walkover for India, and yet if they prepare wickets like the most recent Motera test (and lets be honest, Bangalore is notorious for these sorts of wickets), the result could be different.

tooextracool

International Coach
His moralising about catches and "The Spirit of the Game" wouldn't irritate me so much if he had an unblemished track record. Is this the same man who spat out his dummy when Damien Martyn and Gary Pratt ran him out at Trent Bridge? Is this the same captain who, with his team, physically pushed the presentation party off the podium after winning a trophy? Is this the same man who refuses to walk when out but displays his fury when wrongly given out? Is this the same skipper who has constantly confronted and carped at umpires when decisions went against his team when fielding?

Punter, give it a break. You're a truly great player, but Champion of The Spirit of Cricket you ain't.
Yeah I think Id more likely put trust in a broker that lends out subprime mortgages than trust Ponting at his word.

Last edited: