• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bangladesh squad joins ICL

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's pro-ICL. There is no middle ground. If you're not against, you're with. If you don't think it damages cricket or could potentially damage cricket, you're happy for it to exist.

TBH, players hardly get spare time currently, and many (rightly) complain about that from time to time.
I'm not happy for it to exist - I wish it'd die a horrible, horrible death. However, I don't think players should be banned from international cricket for participating in it.

You can be against it without agreeing with such a harsh stance on it.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's pro-ICL. There is no middle ground. If you're not against, you're with. If you don't think it damages cricket or could potentially damage cricket, you're happy for it to exist.

TBH, players hardly get spare time currently, and many (rightly) complain about that from time to time.
If you're against the ICL, then obviously you must be against the IPL

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Without being able to read this whole thread through, and coming late to it.

Genius from the ICL.

From being outmanouvered at every turn and in danger of dying, they had delivered a masterstroke at long last.

In one swoop they have captured a major market and news story whilst at the same time possibly weakening Bangladesh cricket even further. This may put BCCI in the awkward position of having to weaknen the Asian voting block due to Bangladesh being no longer (even if they never were) a viable Test team or be forced to legitimise the ICL.

Im not sure of any outcome but its a masterstroke from a dying league that isnt disappearing without a fight.

Kudos.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You cannot be friggin' serious

BCCI officials are elected/appointed to represent the REAL stakeholders in Indian cricket, i.e. the various cricket associations. It is NOT their company and they are NOT shareholders who should receive dividends

If they are earning more than a basic stipend (plus e few perks), then their arses should be kicked onto the street and criminal investigations mounted
Officially, most BCCI posts are honorary and carry no monetary compensation.

Unofficially.....

Well let's just say, there are tens of millions of dollars coming in, and they sure as hell aren't going to facilities and infrastructure.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Plus, who would investigate? Sharad Powar is an extremely poweful politician (president of the Nationalist Congress Party and the secretary of Agriculture). No one is going to do any investigations. The players won't, the boards won't - they want to be in his position eventually, and the Indian public sure as hell won't. If you're in the system, you don't want to change it. You can hire family members as athletic trainers, take huge retainers, go on vacations on company dime, and you don't ever have to produce a thing in your life.

Do you really think the guy who went to the US on a 'fact finding' trip for four months on company money wants to change it? The guy above him is doing things that are much worse, and the guy below him wants to get ahead. It's a great setup. But with that setup comes the insatiable appetite for money, because no matter how much you make, someone will be waiting for their cut, and it'll never be enough.

The only people that are hurt are the young cricketers of India who have no facilities to practice in, no coaches to teach them, and no trainers to take care of them.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Plus, who would investigate? Sharad Powar is an extremely poweful politician (president of the Nationalist Congress Party and the secretary of Agriculture). No one is going to do any investigations. The players won't, the boards won't - they want to be in his position eventually, and the Indian public sure as hell won't. If you're in the system, you don't want to change it. You can hire family members as athletic trainers, take huge retainers, go on vacations on company dime, and you don't ever have to produce a thing in your life.

Do you really think the guy who went to the US on a 'fact finding' trip for four months on company money wants to change it? The guy above him is doing things that are much worse, and the guy below him wants to get ahead. It's a great setup. But with that setup comes the insatiable appetite for money, because no matter how much you make, someone will be waiting for their cut, and it'll never be enough.

The only people that are hurt are the young cricketers of India who have no facilities to practice in, no coaches to teach them, and no trainers to take care of them.

Maybe some near suicidal investigative reporter witha death wish might risk it trying to make this his or her big story.

social

But that ok because, according to Richard it's "fair enough" that most of the money does go the BCCI officials as they are doing an excellent job

Stuff the clubs, the cricketers, the present and future of the game - IPL & BCCI good, ICL bad and any damage done by the former is justified on the basis that the latter is wiped out

Last edited by a moderator:

cricman

International 12th Man
On the 14 Bangladeshi players Signing on to the ICL

"It doesn't concern the BCCI," said a senior official late on Tuesday night.
Rajiv Shukla, vice-president of BCCI and a member of the IPL board played down the exodus into the ICL fold. "It's an internal matter of Bangladesh cricket board and doesn't concern the BCCI. It is for them to study the situation and to act accordingly," he said.

BCCI CAO Ratnakar Shetty too refused to comment on the matter, saying, "It has got nothing to do with BCCI."
http://cricket.timesofindia.indiati..._ICLs_Bangladesh_coup/articleshow/3491315.cms

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach

And...... that's exactly why politicians shouldn't be allowed to be involved in a sports body like the BCCI, people with accountability should be appointed who have the expertise and knowledge about how to develop the whole set-up so that not only does the money pour in but the basic infrastructure of the game also improves in the country, and the standard of the game rises in every way possible.

Flem274*

123/5
Is him playing a few here-today-gone-tomorrow ODIs really much of a loss? I don't think so.
Yes. Look we know you don't care about ODIs other than the WC but some teams actualy want to have their best players for as long as possible. We've been deprived of one of the ODI greats, we've been deprived of the Bond-Mills-Southee combination, etc.

Its a huge loss to see a great player retire, no matter what their age. People like cricket because of guys like him. Even Scaly "I hate New Zealand" Piscine (I see that an NZer holds all three scrabble titles too, Scaly the scrabble man must be fuming) had to admit Bond was good.

But if you aren't fussed about seeing two bunches of useless tossers (BCCI/ICC and ICL) robbing countries of their players then thats fine. But some of us actualy want to see these guys in action.

You'd be singing a different tune if Cork was still in his prime and he'd quit England to go to the ICL. :p

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

CL unveils its 'Ninth' jewel in form of 'Dhaka Warriors'
16th September, 2008

Warriors to play as ICL Bangladesh team in ICL’s World Series

Dhaka Warriors to be led by Habib-Ul-Bashar & coached by Balwinder Singh Sandhu

Announces the official launch of ICL
Season 2

New Delhi, September 16, 2008: The Indian Cricket League (ICL) today announced the formal launch of ICL’s Season 2 along with the induction of ICL’s 9th team - Dhaka Warriors at a glittering press conference held in the capital city. Players from the Warriors side will also represent ICL Bangladesh in the forthcoming ICL World Series-Edition 2. The first phase of Season 2 starts from October 10th onwards with ICL 20s Championship featuring 9 teams to be staged over 4 venues - Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Gurgaon and Panchkula, followed by the World Series featuring 4 teams, namely ICL India, ICL Pakistani, ICL World & ICL Bangladesh to be held in Hyderabad.

With the addition of its 9th team - Dhaka Warriors, ICL becomes the biggest and most comprehensive league in the country. The new team, Dhaka Warriors will be led by Habib-Ul-Bashar & coached by Balwinder Singh Sandhu.

Speaking on the occasion, Kapil Dev-Chairman, ICL Executive Board said, "We are extremely happy to announce our Season 2 which kick-starts from October 10th onwards. With the addition of our 9th team, this Season will feature more number of matches, additional venues & an enthralling sporting product involving some of the best cricket talents from the domestic as well as international player pool. As a League for, of & by the cricketers, I can best comprehend that our nine magnificent teams are the pillars of our success & form the Nav-Ratnas or nine jewels of the first league-cricket structure in the country. "

http://www.indiancricketleague.in/news/news-174.html

Last edited:

fredfertang

Genius from the ICL.

From being outmanouvered at every turn and in danger of dying, they had delivered a masterstroke at long last.

In one swoop they have captured a major market and news story whilst at the same time possibly weakening Bangladesh cricket even further. This may put BCCI in the awkward position of having to weaknen the Asian voting block due to Bangladesh being no longer (even if they never were) a viable Test team or be forced to legitimise the ICL.

Im not sure of any outcome but its a masterstroke from a dying league that isnt disappearing without a fight.

Kudos.
Yes very clever idea - happen they'll go for an England team too - Butcher, Hick, Crawley, Ramprakash, Solanki, Loye, Read, Mascarenhas, Udal, Croft (Robert), Gough, Caddick, Cork, Kirtley and Lewis perhaps?

pup11

International Coach
The exodus of Bangladesh players to the ICL is not so much about money than about a feeling of insecurity and neglect.

Well if this is true than its shameful tbh, the passion for cricket among Bangladeshi fans is second to none, and atleast for their sake ICC needs to step into the matter and resolve it, the situation created due to players currently leaving Bangladesh cricket in favour of ICL should only be considered as the tip of the iceberg, as many more players may do the same and Bangladesh cricket could be heading towards disaster.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But that ok because, according to Richard it's "fair enough" that most of the money does go the BCCI officials as they are doing an excellent job
FFS, READ POSTS!!!!!!!!!! I quite clearly said "IT WOULD BE OK IF THEY WERE DOING A DECENT JOB".

Where on Earth have I ever once remotely suggested that the BCCI are a high-quality cricket board???

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you're against the ICL, then obviously you must be against the IPL
Not neccessarily - but as I've said a good few times, the short-term benefits of the IPL are fraught with many long-term dangers as well as short-term dangers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Genius from the ICL.

Kudos.
The ICL was far from a dying league - its audiences rose, if only a little, in each new competition, IIRR.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes. Look we know you don't care about ODIs other than the WC but some teams actualy want to have their best players for as long as possible. We've been deprived of one of the ODI greats, we've been deprived of the Bond-Mills-Southee combination, etc.

Its a huge loss to see a great player retire, no matter what their age. People like cricket because of guys like him. Even Scaly "I hate New Zealand" Piscine (I see that an NZer holds all three scrabble titles too, Scaly the scrabble man must be fuming) had to admit Bond was good.

But if you aren't fussed about seeing two bunches of useless tossers (BCCI/ICC and ICL) robbing countries of their players then thats fine. But some of us actualy want to see these guys in action.

You'd be singing a different tune if Cork was still in his prime and he'd quit England to go to the ICL. :p
Yeah, I would - but Bond hasn't quit NZ in his prime. He's quit ODIs maybe a year, possibly 2, ahead of what'd otherwise have happened, and quit Tests at the exact same time he would have done anyway. And yes, I realise some people place more value on non-WC ODI results than I do, but even so, most value Tests above ODIs and don't really remember non-WC ODIs for very long. So therefore I think the reaction to Bond's retirement is OTT, though certainly not completely stupid.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No I'm not pro-ICL, I don't care if it exists or if it doesn't. It does though, and therefore players who choose to play in it should be allowed to still play for their countries, if that is what their countries want. I don't believe that that makes me pro-ICL, more pro-freedom of the individual boards to pick their best players
As I've said, perhaps the fact I think all cricket boards would be best served to isolate ICL players as the BCCI have done means I'll never be able to see through your eyes on this.

I don't feel the BCCI being able to dictate to other boards who they pick is right, but I do feel that by doing so they've got the outcome that's best in the long-term for those boards.

I feel that if anyone believes ICL players should still be allowed to play for their countries, that makes them pro-ICL, because they're not anti-ICL.