• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bangladesh squad joins ICL

sanga1337

U19 Captain
As if Bangladesh needed anymore setbacks. Lets hope that players like Tamim, Razzak and shakib don't join the ICL

Craig

World Traveller
It's not Marmite, it's the ICL...

Anyway, I see all of the Bangladesh players that have signed for the ICL have been banned from all things to do with Bangladesh Cricket right down to using toilet facilities, for ten years.

The ban has come from the BCB. The BCCI came out yesterday and said that it was up to the BCB whether their players signed for the ICL or not. I think we can all therefore assume there has been no pressure on the BCB here, they have made the decision that they felt was best for the future of cricket in Bangladesh
:whistling

BTW also have no sympathy for the Bangas players, they knew full well what they were doing. Though I read earlier that the $200,000 they are set to earn over three years is three times what they'd have earned from the BCB, read this on Sky or ITV text, make of it what you will
Haha, I agree, reading between the lines you know it is a load of crap

Can't we just assassinate them all? (meaning the BCCI and ICL)
Deadset you don't several firearms and making homemade bombs in your basement? :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bangladesh cricket board has banned the players who joined ICL for 10 years :-O .........this is really a setback to the Bangladesh team....... until and unless the fixture of ICL clashes with the team's International matches, players should be allowed to play in ICL, am I right??:wacko:
I doubt anyone will be bothering with such contracts any more - everyone signing for the ICL in the last year will know for certain that in doing it they're signing away their international careers. There's no use for international-match release clauses.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't believe they are complaining about ten years bans. You knew the risk when you signed up you silly ****er Bashar.

That being said, they'll be dropped if anyone comes crawling back so it's a nothing ban.

pup11

International Coach
Can't believe they are complaining about ten years bans. You knew the risk when you signed up you silly ****er Bashar.

That being said, they'll be dropped if anyone comes crawling back so it's a nothing ban.
Did these Bangladeshi players seriously expected to play in the ICL and also play for Bangladesh, if that was there thinking then they were only fooling themselves, atm they can't seriously expect to have the best of both the worlds.

Rickripper

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think they knew what was coming, didn't they originally retire in order to play ICL? So they knew it would mean they were banned. It is harsh in the sense that they're banned from playing for their country, just because they want to make a bit of money. And it is only cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is anyone seriously complaining about the bans? :wacko:

The players handed in their retirements. They fully well knew what they were doing - they were sacrificing international cricket for ICL. There's nothing implicitly wrong with that, but anyone who didn't realise what they were doing in signing-up for the ICL was crazy.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I feel that if anyone believes ICL players should still be allowed to play for their countries, that makes them pro-ICL, because they're not anti-ICL.
I am anti-ICL though. I'm just not pro-boards-excluding-ICL-players-from-Test-teams.

I hate the fact that it exists and I think it'll damage the game - I don't think players should be prevented from playing Test cricket just because they disagree, though.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I am anti-ICL though. I'm just not pro-boards-excluding-ICL-players-from-Test-teams.

I hate the fact that it exists and I think it'll damage the game - I don't think players should be prevented from playing Test cricket just because they disagree, though.
You can't prepare for a test by playing ICL T20 and 50-over I don't think. Even if you're not banned, you probably can't be picked.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Well, you see I think one of the best ways to stop players from signing for the ICL is to ban\exclude them from whatever cricket you have the legal power to do so. Hence I think if you're allowing ICL players to play Test cricket you're not being enough anti-ICL, and ditto if you're in favour of such a thing.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah - originally that was the plan, but there was no binding something signed. The BCCI were always going to remain free to invite whoever they liked and not invite whoever they didn't, and their reasoning didn't have to be acceptable to anyone but themselves.
Well that might be your opinion, but it's not mine, what the BCCI have done with the Champions League is shambolic, as I said at the time. When the initial announcement was made it was highly unlikely that you would get two non-ICL counties qualifying. So what was the point in saying it in the first place?

Yeah, if the BCCI set up a tourno they can invite whoever they want, well the ECB could set one up, invite Western Australia, Jamaica and Port Sunlight CC, but what's the point?

Pigheadedness at its worst.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Well that might be your opinion, but it's not mine, what the BCCI have done with the Champions League is shambolic, as I said at the time. When the initial announcement was made it was highly unlikely that you would get two non-ICL counties qualifying. So what was the point in saying it in the first place?

Yeah, if the BCCI set up a tourno they can invite whoever they want, well the ECB could set one up, invite Western Australia, Jamaica and Port Sunlight CC, but what's the point?

Pigheadedness at its worst.
100% spot-on

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has announced a ten-year ban for 13 of its top cricketers for joining the unauthorised ICL, and is now hoping that the IPL and the Champions Twenty20 League will help it revive and boost the game in the country.
Right, so you're going to ban 13 of your best players for 10 years because they played in a 20-20 tournament which competes with another 20-20 tournament. And then pin what's left of your future on a couple of other 20-20 tournaments. Now there's good, clear, long-term thinking.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well that might be your opinion, but it's not mine, what the BCCI have done with the Champions League is shambolic, as I said at the time. When the initial announcement was made it was highly unlikely that you would get two non-ICL counties qualifying.
I don't know about that - a) the BCCI might've been confident ICL players could be banned at that time and b) there hadn't quite yet been the scale of sign-up there has now.
If they can get someone to pay vast sums to televise it and give vast prizes to the winners... there's a lot of point.

cricman

International 12th Man
Right, so you're going to ban 13 of your best players for 10 years because they played in a 20-20 tournament which competes with another 20-20 tournament. And then pin what's left of your future on a couple of other 20-20 tournaments. Now there's good, clear, long-term thinking.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
The 2nd Part Will Revive Club Cricket, Before Bangladesh got Test Status and in it's infancy in Test Cricket, Club Cricket in Bangladesh was really a huge hit ... better than Pakistan and Sri Lanka. The Top players in Lanka and Pakistan would sign for the Dhaka Clubs, Wasim Akram, Sanath, Andy Flower etc.

You Could say it was a 50 over version of the IPL before the IPL.

Putting a Champions League Spot up for Grabs would make the Dhaka League Relevant Again, Hopefully the IPL contracts are up so than Sri Lankan, Pakistani, NZ and Bangladeshi Clubs Can Sign players too. Which would be the true globalization of Cricket