• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Agree.

However, the context of the first match required him to play with minimal risk and hence no fault i would say.

I think that Badri is better suited to a Dravidian No.3 than No.6 because he's no accelerator. He can punch the ball into gaps and play common sense cricket at that position. He, like any technically good bat, need to manufacture slog and needs to spend time at crease to get going. Swap places with out of form Yuvi i'd say.

And do get him in for the tests. Give Dravid a good scare.
You are right about the context. I am aware of that but its just the overall tenor of his play. Forget taking risks. We are not talking hitting in the air. He hasn't 'asked' a fielder to try and drop his forceful drive or powerful square cut. He has just been pushing and nudging.

I agree that he should bat higher up. He is not only wasted at number six, he may end up being a liability if we want to finish strongly on a great start. I haven't seen enough of him to say one way or the other on his capability to really step on the gas so one has to wait and watch.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That innings in the first ODI he played just screamed out "Test match number five batsman" to me - he handled the spinners well, defended soundly and just accumulated his score via strike rotation and crease occupation. It reminded me a lot of the way Mike Hussey bats in Tests. Whether he has a role in ODIs is yet to be seen but I highly doubt he'll have one batting as low as number six or seven unless India plan on being 85/5 regularly.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That innings in the first ODI he played just screamed out "Test match number five batsman" to me - he handled the spinners well, defended soundly and just accumulated his score via strike rotation and crease occupation. It reminded me a lot of the way Mike Hussey bats in Tests. Whether he has a role in ODIs is yet to be seen but I highly doubt he'll have one batting as low as number six or seven unless India plan on being 85/5 regularly.
Yep, I'm not sure about the rest of his supporters but I was specifically pissed off at his non-inclusions in the Test squads when guys like Yuvi were given chance after chance. His ODI selection was a bonus for me, although I think he would be perfect for the middle overs of an ODI where accumulation is needed. That's more his game.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Why?

The bloke didn't even impress me all that much in Australia. Raina is a far more talented batsman than he and I'd like to suggest Karthik's name too. Of late, Sharma has disappointed me that much I think someone like Uthappa would be a better selection than him.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Why?

The bloke didn't even impress me all that much in Australia. Raina is a far more talented batsman than he and I'd like to suggest Karthik's name too. Of late, Sharma has disappointed me that much I think someone like Uthappa would be a better selection than him.
You are influenced by current form.

Sharma has a much stronger game than any of them. He is almost complete in his skill sets as a batsman both in defense and in stroke play. What he needs is one fixed spot in the batting line up and a return to form.

He is the future of the Indian middle order.

Raina is good and a gifted stroke player but his game is not tight enough and he still needs to be tested against the really quick stuff.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Raina has a significantly better FC and List A record than Sharma and thus far in both their international careers, Raina has performed better than Sharma. I am not only talking about current form. As I mentioned previously, I wasn't all that impressed with him in Australia, I will admit that he did have a few good innings of note, but he did fail in between them as well. The Asia cup, the current series and the others since, he hasn't been scoring consistently either.

On top of that, Sharma may be a better bat than Kathik, but I don't think he will have as a good career as Raina and Kathik (if/when they are granted a long tenure in the team).

Sure Sharma may have the attacking and defensive skills, but it one thing possessing the skills, and it is another thing applying the skills to benefit the team. Raina (who I feel has a strong technique) may not as you see have the skills Sharma has, but he has applied them much better.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Why?

The bloke didn't even impress me all that much in Australia..
He, along with Sachin won us the first final against Australia

In the round robin win against Australia again Rohit Sharma (39no) and Tendulkar (44) took us home.

In the rain shortened game against Sri Lanka, he was our top scorer with 70 no.

Yes he was inconsistent but he was by no means a disaster on that tour.
  • He scored two fifties as did Dhoni.
  • Gambhir and Tendulkar got hundreds.
  • Yuvraj got just one fifty and Sehwag got none.

And remember it was his first proper tour with the senior side.

I think did okay and everyone who saw him was impressed.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Raina has a significantly better FC and List A record than Sharma and thus far in both their international careers, Raina has performed better than Sharma. I am not only talking about current form. As I mentioned previously, I wasn't all that impressed with him in Australia, I will admit that he did have a few good innings of note, but he did fail in between them as well. The Asia cup, the current series and the others since, he hasn't been scoring consistently either.

On top of that, Sharma may be a better bat than Kathik, but I don't think he will have as a good career as Raina and Kathik (if/when they are granted a long tenure in the team).

Sure Sharma may have the attacking and defensive skills, but it one thing possessing the skills, and it is another thing applying the skills to benefit the team. Raina (who I feel has a strong technique) may not as you see have the skills Sharma has, but he has applied them much better.
I think I have nothing to add so lets leave it at that :)

There are many years left to watch and find out.

Precambrian

Banned
Raina has no backfoot game, and his inability to pull or hook will be severelly exploited in the longer version.

Rohit is the most talented of the lot, and hence most prone to losing focus due to fame and glory at young age. He should see himself as a vital test batsman and work towards it rather than become another Yuvi. Besides, if you watched the IPL, boy, Rohit was smashing the bowlers but without any hint of slog. Of course he needed sometime to settle. I predict him to be India's mainstay once the SDGL era is over.

Precambrian

Banned
Is Murali's One Day prowess on the wane? I think yes, if stats are anything to go by. He averages 28 per wicket at 4.3 per over against test level teams barring Ban since 2005. Which is still acceptable but is helped to a great extent by his average of 16 against New Zealand. Against Australia and England his averages are 40 and 48 and against India 30.

The fall has been drastic in the current year, 2008, where against the same class of teams, he has taken 17 wickets in 15 matches at 37.7 and with a best haul as a three for. Economy rate has gone up to 4.7.

Isn't it time Murali acknowledged his core competence lies in tests where he is still numero uno, and pass the ODI baton to Mendis who has proved his mettle? That way Sri Lanka can also think about some additional options in the lineup, probably bring in an extra bat. And let Jay, Kapu and Dilshan to do 5th bowler duties, which they are more than capable of.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Is Murali's One Day prowess on the wane? I think yes, if stats are anything to go by. He averages 28 per wicket at 4.3 per over against test level teams barring Ban since 2005. Which is still acceptable but is helped to a great extent by his average of 16 against New Zealand. Against Australia and England his averages are 40 and 48 and against India 30.

The fall has been drastic in the current year, 2008, where against the same class of teams, he has taken 17 wickets in 15 matches at 37.7 and with a best haul as a three for. Economy rate has gone up to 4.7.

Isn't it time Murali acknowledged his core competence lies in tests where he is still numero uno, and pass the ODI baton to Mendis who has proved his mettle? That way Sri Lanka can also think about some additional options in the lineup, probably bring in an extra bat. And let Jay, Kapu and Dilshan to do 5th bowler duties, which they are more than capable of.
Murali is not preventing Mendis from playing. How will Sri Lankas attack be stronger with just Mendis than Mendis PLUS Murali ?

Sri Lanka seem to have made a strategic decision to use Murali closer to the end to check runs. This has reduced Murali's efectiveness. Sri Lanka need to bring Murali in as first change and definitely as an attacking wiicket taking bowler to make further inroads after the pacers have got a wicket or two.

Mahela is making a great error by using Murali to stop the flow of runs in the last twenty overs. This is no good for Sri Lanka.

Migara

International Coach

When looking at the all spinners who has taken more than 15 wickets in ODIs since 2005, a interesting thing could be seen.

All the spinners since 01.01.2005 took wickets at an average of 41.0, with SR of 49.9 and ER of 4.93.

Now looking at spinners by Wickets, Average, Economy and Strike rate. Looking at these lists, will show that Murali and Hogg were a class apart from other bowlers in last two and a half years. Hogg at his best was easily matched by Murali on "wane". But the Murali on "wane" is miles better than the rest of the ODI spinners. Compare them to Vettori and Harbhajan. There is daylight between them and Hogg, Murali and Mendis

Athlai

Not Terrible
When looking at the all spinners who has taken more than 15 wickets in ODIs since 2005, a interesting thing could be seen.

All the spinners since 01.01.2005 took wickets at an average of 41.0, with SR of 49.9 and ER of 4.93.

Now looking at spinners by Wickets, Average, Economy and Strike rate. Looking at these lists, will show that Murali and Hogg were a class apart from other bowlers in last two and a half years. Hogg at his best was easily matched by Murali on "wane". But the Murali on "wane" is miles better than the rest of the ODI spinners. Compare them to Vettori and Harbhajan. There is daylight between them and Hogg, Murali and Mendis
Vettori's figures are better than you give him credit for, low economy rate and an average that isn't that far off the others. Only his strike rate is noticeably askew and wicket taking has never been his purpose in ODI cricket, its to be economical. Harby's were a bit worse than I expected though.

Precambrian

Banned
My point was that Sri Lanka is better off without a bowler who's going at 4.7 per over at average of 38. They are having big problems with their batting and hence don't need 5 bowlers. So whom to drop? I guess it should be vaas or murali.

Good news for India and Dhoni. Dhoni has become No.1 in ODI rankings for batsmen replacing Smith. Well done.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Murali's still one of Sri Lanka's top bowlers and until he isn't or personally steps aside there is no reason why he should be replaced.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Murali is not preventing Mendis from playing. How will Sri Lankas attack be stronger with just Mendis than Mendis PLUS Murali ?

Sri Lanka seem to have made a strategic decision to use Murali closer to the end to check runs. This has reduced Murali's efectiveness. Sri Lanka need to bring Murali in as first change and definitely as an attacking wiicket taking bowler to make further inroads after the pacers have got a wicket or two.

Mahela is making a great error by using Murali to stop the flow of runs in the last twenty overs. This is no good for Sri Lanka.
Excellent point, agree fully.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My point was that Sri Lanka is better off without a bowler who's going at 4.7 per over at average of 38.
Yeah, but if you honestly believe there is conclusive evidence to suggest that Murali will continue to produce those sort of figures in the short to medium term, then you are far too heavily "influenced by current form" as someone recently said in this thread about Rohit Sharma.