• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone really. If ODIs and test cricket were considered completely separate entities, Harmison wouldn't even be considered for the role, don't you think?
Why not?

He retired in 2006 and was Englands number 1 ranked ODI bowler in the World rankings that year. He has an almost exact career record to Jimmy Anderson and he provides something different.

For want to a superstar quality ODI bowler, Id certainly pick him.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why not?

He retired in 2006 and was Englands number 1 ranked ODI bowler in the World rankings. He has an almost exact career record to Jimmy Anderson and he provides something different.

For want to a superstar quality ODI bowler, Id certainly pick him.
I don't feel very strongly on the issue one way or the other. Really, the point of what I was saying was that pundits advocate picking Harmison for ODIs on the grounds that it might make him a bit sharper in tests, and that shows a general disrespect for the format IMO.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I don't feel very strongly on the issue one way or the other. Really, the point of what I was saying was that pundits advocate picking Harmison for ODIs on the grounds that it might make him a bit sharper in tests, and that shows a general disrespect for the format IMO.
Fair enough. I can see that. I agree with you shouldnt be picking a guy in ODIs to get him ready for Tests. However, if its an advantageous by-product then its gravy.

Uppercut

Fair enough. I can see that. I agree with you shouldnt be picking a guy in ODIs to get him ready for Tests. However, if its an advantageous by-product then its gravy.
It's just a point of interest. Contrast with in Australia, where this is the biggest one-day series they can play at the moment, 1st vs 2nd. I don't imagine they'd look at the team for the first ODI and say "hmm, yes, will be good that he gets some preparation for the test series we have in two months".

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In a way it shows a lack of respect (rightly or wrongly) for ODIs that they're selecting a bowler over more able candidates for an ODI series against a major cricketing nation simply in order to ensure he is ready for tests.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at wiith "missing the point". ODIs are not warm-up matches for Tests.

Obviously with Harmison there is also the West Indies T20 factor.

Uppercut

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at wiith "missing the point". ODIs are not warm-up matches for Tests.

Obviously with Harmison there is also the West Indies T20 factor.
Indeed. The front page of C365:

Steve Harmison has confirmed his return to ODIs, saying it's the result of pressure from the England management. He claims he's been thinking about it for a while. Perhaps since an American landed at Lord's in a helicopter?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha, yes, as a colleague remarked earlier, "he says his family are settled now, well they bloody will be when they've got an extra million in the bank"

pup11

International Coach
Well its good for Harmison as he also now has a chance to get his hands on Stanford' millions, but its not good news for England that they have had to go back to someone like Harmison, as Harmison was never much of a limited overs bowler and the other thing is they have tried the likes of Mahmood, Tremlett, Plunkett, and lot of other young fast bowlers since Harmison retired from Odi cricket, but none of those youngsters have been able to stay fit or be effective, so that really is something for England to worry about.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well its good for Harmison as he also now has a chance to get his hands on Stanford' millions, but its not good news for England that they have had to go back to someone like Harmison, as Harmison was never much of a limited overs bowler and the other thing is they have tried the likes of Mahmood, Tremlett, Plunkett, and lot of other young fast bowlers since Harmison retired from Odi cricket, but none of those youngsters have been able to stay fit or be effective, so that really is something for England to worry about.
Harmison has both a better average and econ rate than the following players

I Sharma
RP Singh
S Sreesanth
JEC Franklin
MR Gillespie
MJ Mason
DJ Bravo

His record puts him in the same class as

SR Clark
Z Khan
JM Anderson

Now he isnt Joel Garner or Wasim Akram but he isnt terrible in ODIs. Far from it. I think he is one of the better ODI bowlers available for England.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And Prior nearly out straight away.

Stewart the idiotic Prior fan on commentary, will be interesting to see how biased he'll be.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Interesting line-up, Fred batting at 5, as requested by yours truly, let's see how this goes. Don't know what to think.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea Flintoff has to bat at 4/5, forgot how bad Prior's record was, top score of 52 in 23 innings before today, that his only 50.

stumpski

International Captain
Swann being left out while Wright plays and bats 8 has to be a joke, surely. Is Swann injured?

Quite - if they're going to play Wright at eight, they may as well have picked Bresnan instead. Only three front-line bowlers, and Wright may not even get a knock.