• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Uncanny.

It wouldn't have been England if we didn't have a wobble, but that was as close to a cake-walk as I can remember. Nice to see Colly back in something approaching form and kudos I suppose to the selectors for bringing him back. They haven't had a great series, so it's nice they get one right.

Think we've seen the end of Ambrose as a test player for now, a test average below 25 just isn't acceptable for a keeper nowadays I'm afraid &, if we're going to persist with a five-man attack, I think (sigh) Prior is probably the candidate who adds the best balance unless we call up the 65-year-old Pothas.
Yeah, the fact that Prior's just been named in the ODI squad and they've previously stated they want the same keeper in all formats looks ominous for Ambrose. It would make the batting lineup look significantly more sturdy. But on the other hand he'll probably drop Mike Hussey on 10 on his way to a double-hundred or something next summer.

James_W

U19 Vice-Captain
Interesting to see him backing him like that.

Reckon he wants him in the side long term?
Definately. He's obviously a big fan of him. To be far to Steve, he's earned his way back into the team and I think he's done well in this match, without being spectacular. Still needs to cement his palce in the side though. I heard Ian Botham on Sky today saying that Sidebottom isn't guaranteed for a place in the eleven. Thought that was a bit strange, as he's been England's best bowler over the past year.

Burgey

With Australia having 3 lefites in its top 4, you'd think Sidebottom would be a lock for a spot, injury or complete loss of form notwithstanding.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
With Australia having 3 lefites in its top 4, you'd think Sidebottom would be a lock for a spot, injury or complete loss of form notwithstanding.
yeah if he's fit he should be in, only problem is that means Anderson will probably miss out when Jones comes back which he doesn't deserve at the moment.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Interesting to see him backing him like that.

Reckon he wants him in the side long term?
Yeah I do. Exactly what the composition of the side will be I have no clue, but I think KP wanted Harmison in for this match and the year or so ahead. I also read in the paper this morning that KP has declared that we will win back the Ashes next year. ITSTL, bold.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Damn, for the 3rd year in a row I barely watched any of the Oval Test. And it always used to be my favourite.

Anyone fill me in (briefly but not too briefly) on the events of Saturday and Monday?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Damn, for the 3rd year in a row I barely watched any of the Oval Test. And it always used to be my favourite.

Anyone fill me in (briefly but not too briefly) on the events of Saturday and Monday?
Saturday - Anderson and Harmison bowled below par (especially when compared with their performances throughout the rest of the match), Broad took a wicket, it rained, hour and a half of play and a re-run of the 4th test from the 04-05 series - belter

Monday I was in work and didn't see the highlights either yet so can't help, but basically Cook & Strauss got starts, Bell didn't, neither did Pietersen, Colly steadied the ship and I posted saying Fred would win it with a six, next minute he did, gun

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I thought I saw Strauss being dropped at short-fine-leg off a seamer - can someone confirm?

Can't recall ever seeing a batsman give a catch to short-fine-leg off a seamer.

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
In regards to Harmison, he was awesome in the first innings. Bowling like that on that type of wicket will trouble any batsmen. I don't know if I like all the pressure KP has put on him though. He even asked if he would unretire from ODI's.

I have a feeling that the way Pieterson is going about things is wrong the English are just not ready for it. I don't doubt he is the best person for the job however I don't see how they can regain the Ashes with those top 6 batsmen. Australia do not need a spinner to dismiss them, Lee and Clark have been watching this whole series just sitting there working our the best lines to bowl to these guys.

Pieterson will have to average around 150 for them to stand a chance. I don't think Ponting will hand the ashes back easily, you can not underestimate the hurt he felt when he lost them in England.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
In regards to Harmison, he was awesome in the first innings. Bowling like that on that type of wicket will trouble any batsmen. I don't know if I like all the pressure KP has put on him though. He even asked if he would unretire from ODI's.

I have a feeling that the way Pieterson is going about things is wrong the English are just not ready for it. I don't doubt he is the best person for the job however I don't see how they can regain the Ashes with those top 6 batsmen. Australia do not need a spinner to dismiss them, Lee and Clark have been watching this whole series just sitting there working our the best lines to bowl to these guys.

Pieterson will have to average around 150 for them to stand a chance. I don't think Ponting will hand the ashes back easily, you can not underestimate the hurt he felt when he lost them in England.
They will have to kill him lol

Uppercut

Bit too focused on the Ashes as per usual. They're not currently good enough to beat Safrica at home, and there's three tricky series coming along before Australia get there. Need a bit of a rebuilding job.