• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
It’s a walk in the park here…

South Africa’s bowlers really do need to buck their ideas up if they are to compete against the Australians. Its one thing not being penetrative but they are not even particularly accurate and unless Dale Steyn can get his inswinger going, the Aussie left handers will have a field day.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldnt have any of the batsmen under much pressure right now. I wrote a post not too long ago about the dangers of chopping and changing based on form.

Up and down form is a very real component of cricket. I think it has to be expected.

Have to pick your best guys and let them play.

Precambrian

Banned
It’s a walk in the park here…

South Africa’s bowlers really do need to buck their ideas up if they are to compete against the Australians. Its one thing not being penetrative but they are not even particularly accurate and unless Dale Steyn can get his inswinger going, the Aussie left handers will have a field day.
I thought the Saffies were 2-0 up!

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wouldnt have any of the batsmen under much pressure right now. I wrote a post not too long ago about the dangers of chopping and changing based on form.

Up and down form is a very real component of cricket. I think it has to be expected.

Have to pick your best guys and let them play.

Strauss hasn't been up and down, he's been down and down and down.

It's not form, he's trying to change his game and not doing one thing or other. He's trying to leave balls alone like a McKenzie, he pulls it off for a bit and then wafts one to a fielder.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not strictly true. I haven't seen much of this series, so I'm speaking in a broader sense. Batsmen can still be in good nick and not actual score many runs, for any number of reasons. Obviously if this happens for a reasonable length of time then the batsman's sense of form will be lost, as he won't spend enough time in the middle to say that he is in good tough. Often it can only take one innings for that form to be realised and for the batsman to make a good score, but a lack of runs doesn't always mean the batsman is in poor form.

Not sure if that made any sense, as I'm bloody tired, but I'm sure you get what I'm saying :p
Makes sense, but all I was getting at is that in simple terms, true form is scoring runs, not how pretty you look. Obviously a player who feels in good nick may come good and stop getting out early at some point, but that if a player has a prolonged run of low scores, his place should be questioned regardless.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I thought the Saffies were 2-0 up!
I don’t want to take anything away from South Africa but they are 2-0 up not because they bowled well but because their batsman batted collectively better and England’s top order ****ed up royally on good batting wickets. I would love to say Morkel, Steyn, Ntini and Harris bowled well but they haven’t.

Precambrian

Banned
I don’t want to take anything away from South Africa but they are 2-0 up not because they bowled well but because their batsman batted collectively better and England’s top order ****ed up royally on good batting wickets. I would love to say Morkel, Steyn, Ntini and Harris bowled well but they haven’t.
Well, the glass is half full!!!

Ain't it wonderful for a SA supporter to see it this way, "Look here, our bowlers weren't even 70% capacity and still we are leading 2-0 England in England"!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
100 up, can't remember the last time these two had scored 100 by lunch, if at all, good work

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If he does, irrespective of being in a dead rubber, will be right up there as one among the best when he hangs up his boots.
Haha no it won't. It's an irrelevant century in a match that doesn't matter against a team bowling exceptionally badly. I expect Cook, with the best temperament in the England team, to score many more valuable centuries over his career.