• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Woodster

International Captain
Harmison and Flintoff been really good this morning, and the attack looks very well balanced, but I still think currently we look a little short in the batting department.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I just find it funny that people flamed the latter two, while Broad generally just receives mild comments.
Public school education, you see. It still opens doors. :p

Nah, Broad has copped a fair bit on here from what I've seen, but I think people like what he potentially brings to the team. We haven't had a genuine number 8 since Gilo's hips went & Broad is at least good enough to bat there and maybe even a place higher.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Potentially? Seems hard to describe and/or pin-point what potential is. Plunkett and Mahmood have speed and skills, the latter being a potential weapon, that Broad doesn't have. And looking at the starts of their careers, you'd be placing your money on them two to do better for England.

As for the batting...he's picked for his bowling, that really shouldn't come into consideration.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Potentially? Seems hard to describe and/or pin-point what potential is. Plunkett and Mahmood have speed and skills, the latter being a potential weapon, that Broad doesn't have. And looking at the starts of their careers, you'd be placing your money on them two to do better for England.

As for the batting...he's picked for his bowling, that really shouldn't come into consideration.
I wasn't actually endorsing his selection, I hasten to add. What I meant is that he's potentially a bowling all-rounder (he obviously has a way to go with his supposedly stronger suit) which, given our continuing wicketkeeping travails, is useful for the balance of our team.

& I'd absolutely agree he's been picked for his batting, but would disagree it shouldn't be a factor. I have no problems in competence with the willow being a tie-breaker for a spot, but if a clearly better bowler is available (and I'd suggest we have at least three not in the team currently) it's a nonsense to select someone solely because of it.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Broad: after 8 matches 19 @ 49.36
Plunkett: after 9 matches 23 @ 39.82
Mahmood: after 8 matches 20 @ 38.10
Also,

Mahmood's career = 2 matches vs Sri Lanka, 3 vs Australia, 3 vs Pakistan

Broad's career = 1 vs Sri Lanka (figures 1-95), 2.5 vs South Africa (averaging a touch under 60) and 5 vs. a very weak New Zealand.

kingkallis

International Coach
It still is very much England's game but ABDV shows what a fine player he is!

SAF 291/7

ABDV 87*
Harris 22*

Lead by 169

Anything around 220/225 will be fun!