• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Steulen

International Regular
93mph inswinging Yorker what's more.

Best ball Harmison's bowled since 2004, probably. Smith wicket was a piece of rubbish, second time Smith's got out to short balls from him today. Very poor from someone normally brilliant against short stuff.
Loved Michael Holding's commentary that it wasn't a perfect ball because it should have been a bit fuller for perfection. Would have been a totally ridiculous comment coming from anyone else than Whispering Death.

Also in the discussion just now it was said (Nasser, I think) that Amla played for the outswing...I think he was jsut beaten for pace.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he was jsut beaten for pace.
Agreed. Not to say that Amla cannot handle 92.9mph but rather that it was approximately 4mph quicker than anything Harmison had bowled up till then (unless I missed something).

BTW, is the yorker underused or what?

tooextracool

International Coach
Its hard to imagine anyone playing Harmison expecting the ball to swing away. Harmison's bowling action doesnt really seem conducive for outswing, he might get the odd ball to shape away marginally at best but it might be better for him to point the seam the other way and try to get the ball to go towards the right hander.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Loved Michael Holding's commentary that it wasn't a perfect ball because it should have been a bit fuller for perfection. Would have been a totally ridiculous comment coming from anyone else than Whispering Death.

Also in the discussion just now it was said (Nasser, I think) that Amla played for the outswing...I think he was jsut beaten for pace.
Agreed. Not to say that Amla cannot handle 92.9mph but rather that it was approximately 4mph quicker than anything Harmison had bowled up till then (unless I missed something).

BTW, is the yorker underused or what?
Its hard to imagine anyone playing Harmison expecting the ball to swing away. Harmison's bowling action doesnt really seem conducive for outswing, he might get the odd ball to shape away marginally at best but it might be better for him to point the seam the other way and try to get the ball to go towards the right hander.
Harmison did get the odd little bit of outswing this game, and that Yorker to Amla certainly swung in. Look at it carefully, Amla wasn't especially late on it, quicker delivery though it was, but he did play the original line and find the ball on a different one. It was an excellent ball. Fast, inswinging Yorkers are not something very many people will keep out very often.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Still the 4th-youngest to take 100 Test wickets for England. And Smith would doubtless say the ***iest.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dead-set again, you couldn't wish for a better "one man in a class below" set of figures than this:
Code:
SJ Harmison 14 5 40 2 2.85  
JM Anderson 11 0 32 2 2.62 (2nb) 
A Flintoff   9 2 24 1 2.66  
SCJ Broad    7 2 33 0 4.71

tooextracool

International Coach
Bit surprised that someone who is 26 years of age is the youngest to take 100 wickets in England. Actually scratch that, given our history of picking players past their 28th birthday, Im not surprised.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed.

David Lloyd has mentioned that Flintoff's toe nail would be on the verge of coming off but how can it suffer so much damage if the opening in the shoe has been cut out. When I did that, all bruising on my toenail went away.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bit surprised that someone who is 26 years of age is the youngest to take 100 wickets in England. Actually scratch that, given our history of picking players past their 28th birthday, Im not surprised.
That's 4th-youngest. Botham was the youngest at 23.