• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Are any of the CC keepers demanding selection in both batting and keeping ? English keepers tend to be poor at either batting or keeping. WRT Ambrose, he's been playing at 8 so you can't expect him to have a great avg. (25 - 30 would suffice) and I haven't heard too many complaints about his keeping. England should look for the best keeper ATM because they simply don't have a Gilchrist in their ranks. A keeper's job is to keep, a keeper-batsman who averages >30 is a bonus but England shouldn't go looking for bonuses if they simply aren't there. Give Ambrose some time and stick with a keeper for some time, don't just add an extra horse on the keeping merry-go-round.
James Foster.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Oh, love the juicy irony of the winning runs getting knocked of KP's bowling by the 'muppet' to take SA to their first series win in England since before the English footie team won the WC.

I'm calling him Secret Agent KP until further notice.

To all of those people whining about umping decisions, SA have had a few notable roughies against England, a certain WC match & one Shakoor Rana springs to mind. Turns, roundabouts & all that.

Anyone think EA should add an Edgebaston yorker LBW cheat mode to their next cricket game?

Was just looking at a Hawkeye shot of Flintoff's LBW off Kallis, it's pretty easy to spot the problem. Those bloody blue member's chairs just stick out a bit above the window for a few centimetres. Flintoff was obviously bowling in that sweet spot, whereas guys like Morkel & Nel would be just over it, so it wouldn't be an issue off them. If t'were I imagine the England management would've called in some members to sit in them with white shirts pretty quickly.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just because Smith is a good cricketer doesn't mean he isn't a muppet :dry: (in KP's mind that is)

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
Corrected. But who knows, maybe he's rediscovered his form. Doing well for Surrey at any rate.
Talk about doing well for Surrey.. has anyone seen much of that young fast bowler Chris Jordan? they mentioned him on test match special today and i suddenly remembered, oh yeah he's quite decent?? West Indian but will get a British passport soon or something?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was just looking at a Hawkeye shot of Flintoff's LBW off Kallis, it's pretty easy to spot the problem. Those bloody blue member's chairs just stick out a bit above the window for a few centimetres. Flintoff was obviously bowling in that sweet spot, whereas guys like Morkel & Nel would be just over it, so it wouldn't be an issue off them. If t'were I imagine the England management would've called in some members to sit in them with white shirts pretty quickly.
Was all an overreaction IMO. de Villiers and Boucher had no problems, acquitting themselves as righthanders facing Flintoff.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Talk about doing well for Surrey.. has anyone seen much of that young fast bowler Chris Jordan? they mentioned him on test match special today and i suddenly remembered, oh yeah he's quite decent?? West Indian but will get a British passport soon or something?
From what I've heard and read, he's talented but hasn't decided what country he wants to play for yet. Sources suggest he was leaning toward West Indies until recently though. Sources also indicate that he's a bowling allrounder, rather than plainly a fast bowler.

I've been keeping an eye on his performances this season and he hasn't done any of great note thus far in either discipline.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haven't seen any mention of Kallis's reaction. Flintoff's got a few comments, Kallis's seemed way off as well. Naughty boys, tut tut

Mr Mxyzptlk

Hasn't he already had a couple of go's ? What makes you think he's ready now ? (Don't follow CC so don't know his stats this year so I am willing to be proven wrong here)
He last played 6 years ago, when he was 22. He has since improved a whole lot while playing for Essex.

Nasser Hussain reckons he's the best OD wicketkeeper in the world right now, or some rubbish like that. I think Test matches are more his calling.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
His name has been mentioned a fair bit in the media. I must say, most names the media start saying usually get a game or two, at least. Except Ramprakash over the last two years, of course.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hasn't he already had a couple of go's ? What makes you think he's ready now ? (Don't follow CC so don't know his stats this year so I am willing to be proven wrong here)
He last played 6 years ago, when he was 22. He has since improved a whole lot while playing for Essex.

Nasser Hussain reckons he's the best OD wicketkeeper in the world right now, or some rubbish like that. I think Test matches are more his calling.
^
What he said. It should also be added that he wasn't even dropped six years ago, got injured,. Alec Stewart came back, and he never got back in.

It's been bizarre seeing the procession of 'keepers being picked ahead of him in the last few years.

gio

U19 Cricketer
Oh, love the juicy irony of the winning runs getting knocked of KP's bowling by the 'muppet' to take SA to their first series win in England since before the English footie team won the WC.

I'm calling him Secret Agent KP until further notice.

To all of those people whining about umping decisions, SA have had a few notable roughies against England, a certain WC match & one Shakoor Rana springs to mind. Turns, roundabouts & all that.

Anyone think EA should add an Edgebaston yorker LBW cheat mode to their next cricket game?

If you'd been following this thread, it's mainly been you lot moaning about decisions.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Was all an overreaction IMO. de Villiers and Boucher had no problems, acquitting themselves as righthanders facing Flintoff.
That ABdV & Boucher didn't have a problem has no relevance on the fact that McKensie & Kallis clearly did. Both are top class test quality batsmen, they don't just lose the ball for no reason. Especially Kallis, he made it obvious there was a problem from the 1st innings, where Boucher also had the same problem.

The problem results due to the batsman's viewing perspective facing Flintoff, which explains why Prince & Smith didn't have the same issue. Their viewing angle is different. Andre Nel is a bit taller than Kallis, so he may not have had that issue, of course he'd still be hampered by the fact that he can't bat.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Fact is, the screen was the same for both teams, the fact that Flintoff is of a certain height for mine isn't really here or there. And if we had just won the series today, I wouldn't be bitter and moaning, I'd be bloody made up

Mr Mxyzptlk

That ABdV & Boucher didn't have a problem has no relevance on the fact that McKensie & Kallis clearly did. Both are top class test quality batsmen, they don't just lose the ball for no reason. Especially Kallis, he made it obvious there was a problem from the 1st innings, where Boucher also had the same problem.

The problem results due to the batsman's viewing perspective facing Flintoff, which explains why Prince & Smith didn't have the same issue. Their viewing angle is different. Andre Nel is a bit taller than Kallis, so he may not have had that issue, of course he'd still be hampered by the fact that he can't bat.
It's an overreaction because it accounted for three dismissals in the match. I don't think Kallis' first innings dismissal is entirely down to it. He got a good yorker and has been weaker against yorkers than most other balls. Presumably though the problem was present throughout the match and, more so than pitch conditions, both teams had equal opportunity to exploit it. The way some people have gone on about it, you'd think Flintoff was wearing an industrial torchlight on his head.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Meh, wouldn't have moaned about it for too long. It's just one of those things in life. As it happens it made for a stonkingly good test. I was moaning to the wife when she was taking her time in the supermarket during the middle session, couldn't wait to get back to the TV, couldn't bear to watch at the same time. Fantastic.