• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

gio

U19 Cricketer
Long tail, and disagree that it would be harsh.

It was similar to when Hussein finally got that ODI 100 after a zillion unpunished failures and did that silly pointing at the #3 on the back of his shirt thing to Bothom in the box.

It didn't suddenly make him worth his spot, and nor does it Collingwood. All it proved is that he won't fail every single time, just the vast majority.
I've been debating this for the last hour, and came to the conclusion that if Collingwood were to be dropped on the back of that battling hundred, it may do horrible things to his mental state! But maybe something so ruthless is what the whole of the England team need.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Panesar was poor today IMO.

There was an oportunity for him to earn his corn by turning in a matchwinneing perfomance on a helpful track.

He just couldnt keep the pressure on and typically dragged it down too often.

As posted above, his behaviour is also long since become tiring.

However, I dont know of a better spin option and he is a clear starter for the winter tour. I wouldnt want another spinner playing right now. Another seamer though, for this Test just finished and the next, well my opinion is different.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think if we're going to play a spinner it's going to be Monty. And let's be honest, we're not going to go to India without a spinner. Would be like going on holiday to the sun and wearing a coat.

Napier16

Banned
I've been debating this for the last hour, and came to the conclusion that if Collingwood were to be dropped on the back of that battling hundred, it may do horrible things to his mental state! But maybe something so ruthless is what the whole of the England team need.
Collingwoods mental state won't be affected he'll just get on with it like always. And apart from his best mates Giles and Vaughan, who cares about that anyway?

irfan

State Captain
Sorry, bit late on here.

What a fantastic win by South Africa, simply outplayed England over the course of 5 days. Lot of English supporters are understandably calling for wholesale changes but really that was England's best XI out on the park bar probably Vaughan & Panesar and it's seems to be more of a mental issue that causes their batting to go AWOL at times. Panesar does deserve to be dropped but I don't know if there are any capable replacements, so England may have to stick with him and hide him on the field.

South Africa played very well and look like a formidable opponent for Australia down here in summertime. I will go on out a limb and say that South Africa WON'T lose the series against Australia, provided no one in the first XI breaks down in the meantime. I just think they have a better seam attack, better wickey, but, of course Australia has the better batting lineup on paper but all of SAfrica's batsman are in prime form.IMHO, South Africa are a quality attacking spinner away from knocking Australia off top spot.

gio

U19 Cricketer
Yes, Monty was disappointing today, but he's still the best spinner England have. I agree that someone needs to have a word with him re: his behaviour, but his enthusiasm shouldn't be curbed too much. He does have a real problem with dragging the ball short at times.

But he's not the only to not have performed this summer. An honest and frank meeting featuring the whole team is necessary, I feel.

gio

U19 Cricketer
Sorry, bit late on here.

What a fantastic win by South Africa, simply outplayed England over the course of 5 days. Lot of English supporters are understandably calling for wholesale changes but really that was England's best XI out on the park bar probably Vaughan & Panesar and it's seems to be more of a mental issue that causes their batting to go AWOL at times. Panesar does deserve to be dropped but I don't know if there are any capable replacements, so England may have to stick with him and hide him on the field.
Changes aren't necessarily necessary, but the squad definitely needs be woken up. They just aren't applying themselves at the moment.

I don't agree that it is the best side England could have put out. Can't help but feel that someone could do a better job than Ambrose and perhaps Sidebottom/Anderson too (although Sidebottom purely due to injury)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Are you seriously saying we should pick him? :unsure:
I'm stirring the pot. :unsure:

But I seriously do believe he would do better in India (and most places) than Monty. Clearly Surrey's best bowler this season, with 36 wickets in 10 games and 3 5-wicket hauls. He's back fit and bowling well...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes, Monty was disappointing today, but he's still the best spinner England have. ]I agree that someone needs to have a word with him re: his behaviour, but his enthusiasm shouldn't be curbed too much. He does have a real problem with dragging the ball short at times.

But he's not the only to not have performed this summer. An honest and frank meeting featuring the whole team is necessary, I feel.
Hmmm, well this was something else I was thinking about* . Are the two things connected. Does a spin bowler need or want a surfeit of adrenaline or enthusiasm. Pushing the ball through too quick could be a by-product of it, could it not?

*(yeah I know I don't do it often, bear with me

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The fact that he has played Test Cricket for somebody else counts against him. I don't mind your Pietersens, Pattinsons and Ambroses. But playing Test Cricket for two countries is yucky.

See also, Pothas

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm stirring the pot. :unsure:

But I seriously do believe he would do better in India (and most places) than Monty. Clearly Surrey's best bowler this season, with 36 wickets in 10 games and 3 5-wicket hauls. He's back fit and bowling well...
Hey, I've thought of it, but they say they have to patch him up to get him through games, really don't think fit describes him.

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
He is one of the best off spinners in the world, and he has a damn good doosra.. but playing test cricket for two countries is just wierd

irfan

State Captain
Changes aren't necessarily necessary, but the squad definitely needs be woken up. They just aren't applying themselves at the moment.

I don't agree that it is the best side England could have put out. Can't help but feel that someone could do a better job than Ambrose and perhaps Sidebottom/Anderson too (although Sidebottom purely due to injury)
Are any of the CC keepers demanding selection in both batting and keeping ? English keepers tend to be poor at either batting or keeping. WRT Ambrose, he's been playing at 8 so you can't expect him to have a great avg. (25 - 30 would suffice) and I haven't heard too many complaints about his keeping. England should look for the best keeper ATM because they simply don't have a Gilchrist in their ranks. A keeper's job is to keep, a keeper-batsman who averages >30 is a bonus but England shouldn't go looking for bonuses if they simply aren't there. Give Ambrose some time and stick with a keeper for some time, don't just add an extra horse on the keeping merry-go-round.