• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Do you think it's that England pick players on how well they do in ODIs and Tests and not just Test level? If you look at the SA side, there's numerous players that are there because they are excellent Test match players and ok/terrible ODI players E.g. Amla, McKenzie, and Prince. Is that a concern?
It certainly doesn't help, but it tends to damage ODI prospects more than Tests.

Other countries are far from immune from it either BTW, though SA do seem to be dividing the two game-forms up well in selectorial minds at the current time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just saw the Flintoff/Kallis battle, and if Brett Lee or Glenn McGrath carried on like Freddie did when Kallis was given not out - there'd be an uproar. Hardly a peep on this board from what I can see (could've missed something).

Not saying I'd want him to go - it's that sort of passion that makes test cricket special. Just tremendous double standards.

Great ball to remove Kallis, though.
Fred needs to watch it tho, definite dissent from the big fella.
:p

Hes had the fortune of bowling to 2 of the worst batting lineups in recent times for a significant part of his career. To make things better, hes had the opportunity to do so in seriously swing friendly conditions. Sorry, If that isnt luck then what is? I dont think he should be dropped, but I cant honestly see how anyone can suggest that Anderson deserves to be dropped over him.
Any "luck" Sidebottom has had has been more than mitigated by him having Prior as his wicketkeeper for the majority of his career. The number of chances he shelled off the ringleted-one versus Sri Lanka was preposterous. I've seen a dozen quoted & that seems conservative to me. It can't just be coincidence that Sid's had about ten runs shaved off his average since he got a keeper who could catch.

I haven't seen this morning's play yet, but going by yesterday's I don't think he's fit. He's well down on pace (between 77-81mph where he'd been consistently up around 85 last summer and winter) and looks to be carrying a few excess pounds to me too. I'm not looking to make excuses for him, but as he's just missed a test with a bad back one can't help but put two & two together.

Meanwhile, Vaughan, eh? Is he gone? Or rather, should he be? Great catch, but not the shot the situation demanded. Smacks of a batsman trying to hit himself into form.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That can be easily disabled in two ways.

Haha, Sky commentators saying it's "breaking" news that Kent won't be invited to the Champions League. :laugh: Been known for months!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Poor bowling from Nel from about his 3rd over onwards this innings. Disappointing, very disappointing.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Now with the depth in batting, with Ambrose at 8, this gives us an extra partnership that we are witnessing now and theoretically we could set a target of 250.

chalky

International Debutant
Pietersen just milking Harris

Gower really has no respect for Harris don't think I've ever heard him be more condescending towards a player.