• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Stapel

International Regular
Reading the cricinfo commentary, Vaughan is looking really good. Is that correct?

Anyway, England's,batting line up might not be as bad as many point out. Of course, Collingwood's in terrible form and Vaughans struggles, but even then, England has still quite some batters left to make a decent innings.

Should be an interesting contest today and tomorrow!

EDIT: Once I clicked on "post" he was gone. Never mind........

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
what on earth is so poor about the balls in this series?
I'm sure if anyone knew it wouldn't have happened, but you surely can't have missed the fact that swing has been difficult to get at times this summer and loads and loads of balls have gone out of shape?

Hopefully they'll be better again next summer.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Reading the cricinfo commentary, Vaughan is looking really good. Is that correct?

Anyway, England's,batting line up might not be as bad as many point out. Of course, Collingwood's in terrible form and Vaughans struggles, but even then, England has still quite some batters left to make a decent innings.

Should be an interesting contest today and tomorrow!
You should check out some live streaming to see if he's going any good. Google "live cricket streaming" and see what results you can get.

chalky

International Debutant
Muppet dismissal #2
Wickets down 2

Trademark England.
The England bowlers must be so pissed off they have to work tooth & nail to prize out each wicket where as the South African bowlers get wickets handed to them on a plate by the English batsmen.

Nibbles

Cricket Spectator
It makes me wonder why they havnt got a new set of balls sometime during this summer, its not like it just pops up on them each game, they know they've been rubbish!

About Vaughan, could presumably say he was a bit unlucky there, excellent fielding but cant fault him for having a go. He might have saved his place for the next match or so though!

I cant help but think that KP HAS to bat properly today and not faff around as usual. If he goes and does something stupid and gets out my estimation of him will drop yet further!

tooextracool

International Coach
I'm sure if anyone knew it wouldn't have happened, but you surely can't have missed the fact that swing has been difficult to get at times this summer and loads and loads of balls have gone out of shape?

Hopefully they'll be better again next summer.
Err, thats how the balls are routinely around the world (and has been in england for every summer bar 2007). whether they are good or not in your opinion does not detract from the fact that sidebottom isnt going to be able to swing the ball consistently around the world and the fact that hes poor when its not swinging does not bode well for the future.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm sure he'll struggle to swing the ball in Australia (at least at grounds other than the WACA and the SCG) where virtually no-one has managed to in recent times, and who knows, maybe in West Indies too. But he managed to get it to go in the subcontinent, in Sri Lanka last winter, and I'm sure he can do it again. Whether he will we'll only find-out in India this winter.

tooextracool

International Coach
I'm sure he'll struggle to swing the ball in Australia (at least at grounds other than the WACA and the SCG) where virtually no-one has managed to in recent times, and who knows, maybe in West Indies too. But he managed to get it to go in the subcontinent, in Sri Lanka last winter, and I'm sure he can do it again. Whether he will we'll only find-out in India this winter.
virtually no one swings the ball conventionally in india so i doubt sidebottom is likely to do it.

tooextracool

International Coach
The England bowlers must be so pissed off they have to work tooth & nail to prize out each wicket where as the South African bowlers get wickets handed to them on a plate by the English batsmen.
couldnt agree with you more. there is no dearth in talent amongst the england batting lineup, there is just a distinct lack of application that has existed for a number of years now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
couldnt agree with you more. there is no dearth in talent amongst the england batting lineup, there is just a distinct lack of application that has existed for a number of years now.
I think virtually everyone in the country who watches cricket agrees by now. The trouble is, there's just no way we can feel confident that anyone else could do better. Nor do I feel confident in Cook, Vaughan, Bell and even Pietersen's ability to get better any time soon. I still hope it can happen, of course, but I don't feel confident at all.

Kallis getting a bit of swing now, wonder how long it'll last?

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
I think virtually everyone in the country who watches cricket agrees by now. The trouble is, there's just no way we can feel confident that anyone else could do better. Nor do I feel confident in Cook, Vaughan, Bell and even Pietersen's ability to get better any time soon. I still hope it can happen, of course, but I don't feel confident at all.

Kallis getting a bit of swing now, wonder how long it'll last?
well then we need to go around picking players based on form. the saying that 'form is temporary, class is permanent' is indeed valid, but its under the assumption that the players actually have class which is not true about the majority of our players. In such a scenario, we need to revert to the former part of the saying and pick those in their primes at the moment scoring strongly in domestic cricket (like Shah and Key), even if we know they wont be long term selections for England.