• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, sorry. It means "for the loss". Grammatically very poor (ditto "for the win") but basically a term used on CW to mean "I like" (FTW) or "I don't like" (FTL).

tooextracool

International Coach
Its amazing how much better a bowler Morkel looks today now that hes started to pitch the ball up a lot more. Certainly got more out of this lifeless pitch than Ntini and Nel combined.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Very slow pitch here. Why would the bowlers bowl short? Every time you bowl short, it is pretty much a god given boundary to the batsmen. England have made a solid start, except Cook looks very shaky when he recieves full balls in off stump. He seems to try to flick them to the leg side, and is always edging them to slips and occasionally leading edges to the point region.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would think that zip is used to refer to pace off the wicket rather than anything else. However, as you said, i dont think anyone truly knows the definition of the term and its often wrongly used to provide an explanation bowlers that are out of form.
Thats always been my interpretation

Zinzan

Very slow pitch here. Why would the bowlers bowl short? Every time you bowl short, it is pretty much a god given boundary to the batsmen. England have made a solid start, except Cook looks very shaky when he recieves full balls in off stump. He seems to try to flick them to the leg side, and is always edging them to slips and occasionally leading edges to the point region.
Did you manage to get the BBC commentary working ?

tooextracool

International Coach
Cook has so many technical issues that its really not funny. He plays around his front pad alot, has poor footwork and goes very hard at the ball. Its just really surprising that hes managed to not be a dismal failure despite all fo these flaws.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cook has so many technical issues that its really not funny. He plays around his front pad alot, has poor footwork and goes very hard at the ball. Its just really surprising that hes managed to not be a dismal failure despite all fo these flaws.
And hopefully, that's an indication that if he could manage to fix said faults, he could be very, very good indeed.

Zinzan

He does seem to play and miss more than most

Rubbish bowling that by Nel on such a slow wicket :wacko:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rubbish bowling that by Nel on such a slow wicket :wacko:
Nel (like Ntini) is not the best on a slow pitch. He is getting the ball to go away from the left-hander, but not getting it straight enough and the wicket's far too slow for the out-and-out Bouncer to be effective.

It is annoying how several times recently Nel has had 1 Test per series on a very slow pitch.

tooextracool

International Coach
Yeah Nel and Ntini have been rubbish so far this morning. Its not just the fact that the pitch is so slow that short balls are rarely going to trouble anyone, but both players are actually fairly good at playing the short stuff and have a few issues with the fuller ball

Zinzan

Nel (like Ntini) is not the best on a slow pitch. He is getting the ball to go away from the left-hander, but not getting it straight enough and the wicket's far too slow for the out-and-out Bouncer to be effective.

It is annoying how several times recently Nel has had 1 Test per series on a very slow pitch.
Agreed and simple advice I'd give to any batsman against Nel would be to just keep smiling at him