• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Dale Steyn has a fractured thumb but it’s on his left hand, so he should be fit for the Edgbaston test.

Last edited:

Steulen

International Regular
In good conscience, I could not call Broad an allrounder at Test level given he has never scored a FC century.

A few cameos doesnt make him an allrounder IMO right now. Certainly looks capable with the bat though.

Id like to see him score a boat load of FC runs before Ill pay too much attention to it.
Based on Broad's recent performances in the Test side I'd say he definitely is an allrounder. Consequently having both him and Flintoff in the side would appear to be a case of one too many.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Based on Broad's Test performances so far he's a batting-all-rounder.

But he's not been picked as one, and if the position wanted is bowling-all-rounder, he should not be up for consideration.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No it wasn't.. England were outperformed in pretty much every department, and although Pattinson didn't cover himself in glory, he by no means bowled poorly..
That's absollutely the case. England were outperformed pretty much from start to finish, you can't blame a ten-wicket loss with a full day still to play on picking the wrong bowler. The fact that selecting the right team would have been unlikely to make a difference doesn't take away from how disgracefully bad the selection was, though.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well it wouldn't have taken much to swing it, it was the 6th batsman between the two teams where the difference was made.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well it wouldn't have taken much to swing it, it was the 6th batsman between the two teams where the difference was made.
And South Africa's superior batting in every other position bar 4. And their superior bowling. Wasn't the highest English player's score in either innings 60? England were absolutely destroyed, and I don't say that as a SA fan or England-hater, it's just what happened. Here's hoping for a much closer match next time round.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, in all honesty I see Goughy's point about how one partnership or fifer can make a huge difference (might have been a different thread) that being said we were so toothless with the bat it would have been hard to see one batsman making a difference as they'd have probably got stranded

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year

But he's not been picked as one, and if the position wanted is bowling-all-rounder, he should not be up for consideration.
but how can you justify dropping someone who is performing well...
thats how I look at it, at this point...

Steulen

International Regular

Yep. Like I said earlier in the thread, on current evidence Broad is a batting allrounder and Flintoff a bowling allrounder.

It odesn't make sense to include both in the tea, so they should give the nod to the one most needed to maintain team balance.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And South Africa's superior batting in every other position bar 4. And their superior bowling. Wasn't the highest English player's score in either innings 60? England were absolutely destroyed, and I don't say that as a SA fan or England-hater, it's just what happened. Here's hoping for a much closer match next time round.
Not really. Two guys made a century and otherwise the rest were as bad as England, obviously to make a century at 5/6 you need someone else to stay with you and that's what happened - if one of them goes early it changes things completely. Also SA got the better of the conditions, thanks in no small part to England's quick capitulation in the first innings. It wouldn't really have taken much to have swung that game towards an even contest, that's what happens in cricket.

Anyways

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/7525319.stm

Him being 'rested' sounds suspiciously like he's going to be named in the squad tomorrow.

Marius

International Debutant
but how can you justify dropping someone who is performing well...
thats how I look at it, at this point...
He's more in the team for his bowling isn't he? And he's not doing anything with the ball, so maybe get somebody in who will. England mustn't fall into the trap of picking their bowlers on how well they can bat. Richard Illingworth vs Phil Tufnell anyone?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Dropping Broad would be similar to when Prior was dropped; yes he had been batting well but that's not what he's in the team for

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
****! Bet for Steyn most wickets just went out the window. Morkel was 4 ahead but that could have been made up.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Realised today that I am on a day's holiday next Friday meaning I have the final three days of the Test off work :cool: