• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

tooextracool

International Coach
England will put SA to the sword only if they prepare a big turning pitch IMO. If the ball swings for all five days, SA have the bowlers to exploit that even moreso than England and their batsmen seem to have a better idea of how to play it too. There's no Englishman as effective with the swinging ball as Dale Steyn at the moment.
The sad part is that the SA bowling attack is probably still bowling at about 80% of their actual best and they were still able to take 20 wickets. Maybe no one is as effective as Steyn when he is swinging the ball at 90mph, but hes the only regular bowler who can genuininely swing the leather (and Kallis). In Sid, Anderson and to an extent Flintoff(and if Jones or Hoggard play in the 3rd test they can too) England have 3 quality bowlers in those conditions.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The sad part is that the SA bowling attack is probably still bowling at about 80% of their actual best and they were still able to take 20 wickets. Maybe no one is as effective as Steyn when he is swinging the ball at 90mph, but hes the only regular bowler who can genuininely swing the leather (and Kallis). In Sid, Anderson and to an extent Flintoff(and if Jones or Hoggard play in the 3rd test they can too) England have 3 quality bowlers in those conditions.
Hmm, but playing an all-swing attack has its obvious disadvantages too. Also Ntini gets good shape on the ball when it's overcast. Minimal movement but a bouncy straightener to the left-hander is every bit as awkward as a Hoggard trademark swing-the-ball-round-a-corner ball.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pretty huge If. I can't see England consistently bowling better than SA, except Panesar. Maybe in three or four innings out of eight if they pick the right players. But not consistently, because this is a SA attack of real quality. The England attack isn't as good as the one of 2005, whether they pick the out-of-sorts veterans from then or try to replace them.
This is a decent SA bowling lineup no doubt about it but if you want to be realistic they havent even bowled significantly better than England in the last 2 tests. They were comfortably outbowled at Lords and Morkel was exceedingly poor in the 2nd test and still ended up with 7 wickets for the game. Honestly, Anderson bowled better than each and every SA bowler at Headingly and its rather a shame that they ended up with better figures almost solely due to the poor quality of the England batters and with the benefit of the conditions in the first innings.
An attack of Jones, Sid, Flintoff and Anderson in conditions conducive to swing bowling is quite likely to outbowl their SA counterparts IMO.

tooextracool

International Coach
I agree with a lot of that. But it's not relevant for this innings. People looked at his score, 13 off five and thought "hey, irresponsible KP throws his wicket away recklessly again". Really he played excellent shots off his first four deliveries then was caught behind playing a defensive stroke to a very good ball. It doesn't give us much to complain about, but it's what happened.
I dont think KP threw away his wicket in the 2nd innings. He made an error of judgement and that happens in cricket. He should have either played or left and in the end he got caught in the middle of both and ended up nicking what was essentially a straight ball. His dismissal in the first innings dismissal however was poor.

tooextracool

International Coach
I'm sure Pietersen doesn't need motivating to score runs against South Africa
Probably not, but you can quite clearly tell the difference in the way he batted against Australia in the Ashes down under in comparison to the way in which he plays against other teams.

Uppercut

This is a decent SA bowling lineup no doubt about it but if you want to be realistic they havent even bowled significantly better than England in the last 2 tests. They were comfortably outbowled at Lords and Morkel was exceedingly poor in the 2nd test and still ended up with 7 wickets for the game. Honestly, Anderson bowled better than each and every SA bowler at Headingly and its rather a shame that they ended up with better figures almost solely due to the poor quality of the England batters and with the benefit of the conditions in the first innings.
The difference was at Headingley, the South African seam attack had no weak link. They shared the wickets between them, but no one bowler stood out. Anderson bowled pretty well, fantastically so in certain spells, with not much luck. Same with Flintoff. But once they were out of the attack, the pressure was off. South Africa on the other hand, had Steyn bowling a little erratically but always very threatening, Ntini ditto, Morkel doing well to unsettle the batsmen and Kallis chipping in with some huge wickets. A full-strength England are indeed well capable of matching this attack.

But what you suggested was that England needed to consistently bowl superior to SA to have a good chance of winning the series, as they did in the 2005 Ashes. I don't see that happening because i don't believe they have superior bowlers. If their batsmen don't seriously pick up, it's going to be a tall order to salvage anything from this series.

Mr Mxyzptlk

He's the first cricketer who has represented England or South Africa in the last, say 15 years, who I have never heard of.. Couldn't tell you what county he represented or anything.. And I very much that will ever happen again as long as I follow cricket..
I knew who he was, because I'd looked him up a while before he got England notice. I keep an eye on County Cricket, and I recognized his name from Pura Cup cricket a while ago, then checked to see why he was playing for Notts as a non-overseas player. All was revealed in time. I just did not expect him to be called up at this stage, so I found it hard to associate Pattinson - the international bowler - with Pattinson, the Notts bowler. He just seemed like such a nobody. Strange, I suppose.

tooextracool

International Coach
Hmm, but playing an all-swing attack has its obvious disadvantages too. Also Ntini gets good shape on the ball when it's overcast. Minimal movement but a bouncy straightener to the left-hander is every bit as awkward as a Hoggard trademark swing-the-ball-round-a-corner ball.
Ntini is ordinary when the ball is swinging. Always has been. If theres seam movement, he usually goes all right, but Ntini simply bowls far too short to ever be able to exploit swing bowling conditions. He might go ok, but he wont be a consistent threat like his opening bowling partner or most of the England bowlers.
I think if England picked Jones, Flintoff, Sid and Anderson its not really an all swing attack (at least not conventional). Flintoff is useful in almost all conditions and Jones is a master of reverse swing. I dont see England being able to select a better bowling attack than that at the moment tbh.

Uppercut

I dont think KP threw away his wicket in the 2nd innings. He made an error of judgement and that happens in cricket. He should have either played or left and in the end he got caught in the middle of both and ended up nicking what was essentially a straight ball. His dismissal in the first innings dismissal however was poor.
Indeed. I was referring moreso to the general feeling amongst cricket journalists and some fans that he slogged and threw his wicket away, when that simply didn't happen.

His first innings dismissal was poor indeed, but weren't pretty much all the English batsmen out driving a swinging ball? It was ridiculous how often they walked into the back-to-basics SA attack plan of "pack the slips, pitch it up, let it swing, take the edge off a drive". Pietersen wasn't the only culprit.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I'm sure Pietersen doesn't need motivating to score runs against South Africa
That's probably to the advantage of South Africa though, because he will look to score those runs with authority. Needless to say, he gets himself out often enough.
Probably not, but you can quite clearly tell the difference in the way he batted against Australia in the Ashes down under in comparison to the way in which he plays against other teams.
But as Rich alluded to, South Africa is not just another team. You've got to think he will come good at least twice more before the series is out.

tooextracool

International Coach
The difference was at Headingley, the South African seam attack had no weak link. They shared the wickets between them, but no one bowler stood out. Anderson bowled pretty well, fantastically so in certain spells, with not much luck. Same with Flintoff. But once they were out of the attack, the pressure was off. South Africa on the other hand, had Steyn bowling a little erratically but always very threatening, Ntini ditto, Morkel doing well to unsettle the batsmen and Kallis chipping in with some huge wickets. A full-strength England are indeed well capable of matching this attack.

But what you suggested was that England needed to consistently bowl superior to SA to have a good chance of winning the series, as they did in the 2005 Ashes. I don't see that happening because i don't believe they have superior bowlers. If their batsmen don't seriously pick up, it's going to be a tall order to salvage anything from this series.
If Jones bowls even at 75% of what he did at the Ashes in 2005, he is likely to be far and away the best bowler on either side. However, Jones is at the moment an unknown quantity for no one truly knows how well he has actually been bowling of late. As i said earlier, I think you are vastly overrating this SA attack. I agree with you that there is no such weak link in the SA bowling attack, but I dont think any of them has been exceedingly good so far this series.
Nonetheless, the point I was trying to make is that given the right conditions, England do have better bowlers. If England were able to bowl in the same overcast conditions as SA got to bowl in on Day 1 with Sid, Anderson, Flintoff and Jones/Hoggard, I would not be very surpised if England bowled better than SA. Test matches, despite the fact that it is played over 5 days, can and are on many occasions won in 1 or 2 sessions. One could argue that ABD and Prince did that on the 2nd day.

tooextracool

International Coach
His first innings dismissal was poor indeed, but weren't pretty much all the English batsmen out driving a swinging ball? It was ridiculous how often they walked into the back-to-basics SA attack plan of "pack the slips, pitch it up, let it swing, take the edge off a drive". Pietersen wasn't the only culprit.
Yes, the rest of the England batsmen were also out driving the swinging ball. But that is exactly my point. KP is often put on a pedestal above the rest of the England batting lineup yet in recent times hes been doing no better than the rest. However, its almost always that everyone else is criticised while KP is somehow always blameless. I think the fact that some of the members on here seem to make out the Kallis ball to be some sort of devil rearing out of the pitch is just one such example.

Uppercut

If Jones bowls even at 75% of what he did at the Ashes in 2005, he is likely to be far and away the best bowler on either side. However, Jones is at the moment an unknown quantity for no one truly knows how well he has actually been bowling of late. As i said earlier, I think you are vastly overrating this SA attack. I agree with you that there is no such weak link in the SA bowling attack, but I dont think any of them has been exceedingly good so far this series.
Hmm, there hasn't been a stand-out performance, but at Headingley they all bowled at about 8/10. I'm sure Ntini will have one big performance, because he blows hot and cold, and Steyn surely will too because he's probably the best quick in the world at the moment IMO (him or Lee). I don't think it's vastly overrating the attack to say it's the equal of England's. And should England continue to bat as poorly as they are doing, that's all they'll need to be.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Hmm, there hasn't been a stand-out performance, but at Headingley they all bowled at about 8/10. I'm sure Ntini will have one big performance, because he blows hot and cold, and Steyn surely will too because he's probably the best quick in the world at the moment IMO (him or Lee). I don't think it's vastly overrating the attack to say it's the equal of England's. And should England continue to bat as poorly as they are doing, that's all they'll need to be.
I've seen a lot of both Steyn and Lee over the past year or so, and Lee is comfortably better IMO. I've seen Steyn bowl poorly and pick up wickets at the end of an innings to flatter his figures. Lee has just been more consistently excellent in general.

Uppercut

Yes, the rest of the England batsmen were also out driving the swinging ball. But that is exactly my point. KP is often put on a pedestal above the rest of the England batting lineup yet in recent times hes been doing no better than the rest. However, its almost always that everyone else is criticised while KP is somehow always blameless. I think the fact that some of the members on here seem to make out the Kallis ball to be some sort of devil rearing out of the pitch is just one such example.
I suppose it's because he's so obviously the best batsman they have at the moment. For all his faults, the thought of dropping him is utterly inconceivable, which is more than can be said for any of the others.

If we're comparing him to world batsmen, i'd put him well below the level of players like Ponting, Lara, Tendulkar, Kallis, Chanderpaul, in the same kind of class as Jawardene, Sangakarra, Sarwan, and Khan.

tooextracool

International Coach
Yeah tbh Steyn has been disappointing thus far this series. Lee from what I have seen off him over the last year or so has been comfortably the best fast bowler in the world.

Mr Mxyzptlk

If we're comparing him to world batsmen, i'd put him well below the level of players like Ponting, Lara, Tendulkar, Kallis, Chanderpaul, in the same kind of class as Jawardene, Sangakarra, Sarwan, and Khan.
Sangakkara > Khan/Jayawardene/Pietersen >>> Sarwan, IMO.

Uppercut

I've seen a lot of both Steyn and Lee over the past year or so, and Lee is comfortably better IMO. I've seen Steyn bowl poorly and pick up wickets at the end of an innings to flatter his figures. Lee has just been more consistently excellent in general.
I was thinking the same thing actually. But Steyn does have a case to be the best considering the ridiculous amount of wickets he's picked up in the past two years.