• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Off to bed fellas...My prediction at stumps for what its worth..........SA all out for 440 and England 135/2

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Would love to see Pattinson do well, for his sake, after being criticised throughout the media through no fault of his own.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
It was good, yeh. Angled in to the left hander, on a line that would shave off stump and just straightened enough to take the edge. The pitch has been lively today, slightly quicker, been seaming and a hint of swing.
Correction, was a bit higher and wider than I stated.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
That when it comes to selection having something that helps you stand out from the pack or makes you unique increase the chance of selection.

Sport is all about getting noticed and appearing different to the norm and the so called average. Different national origin, accent, skin colour etc all play a role in giving the player an edge in selection. It helps them stand out. There is nothing paticularly wrong with this apart from if its not noticed.

Ive benefied and been hurt by this. I can see it happening to my benefit etc.

When abilities are close its about who stands out and what names stick in your head. How 'interesting' and unusual you are really plays a role in this.

Just look at the 90s. Aus became the number 1 team in the the World and then suddenly Anglo-Aussies got better by association in the minds of the selectors. So we saw McCague, White, Mulally, Gallian, Hollioakes etc.
Fair enough, but it's always dangerous to draw general conclusions from one's own specific experience. Of the players I named how many denied better-qualified (or even equally qualified) Englishmen a position? I guess one could make cases for Read & Foster as keepers, but both have had call-ups previously (several call-ups in the former's case).

& yeah, in the 90s we selected some ordinary Aussies (although I think White's selection by Illingworth was more to do with his Yorkshire roots than his Victorian upbringing), but the most recent of their debuts was over a decade ago, which is a heck of a long time in sport. It's unfair to blame the sins of a previous regime on our current batch.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Would love to see Pattinson do well, for his sake, after being criticised throughout the media through no fault of his own.
He's not particularly been criticised - just the selectors for picking him.

I'd hate to see him do well because if he does it makes it look to those who judge selection purely on outcome like some inspired, brilliant selection, which it simply wasn't. It was a shocker, and shockers generally look better when they fail to pay-off.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
He's not particularly been criticised - just the selectors for picking him.
Either way, it must be hard for him to have his name spread across back pages for the wrong reasons.

I'd hate to see him do well because if he does it makes it look to those who judge selection purely on outcome like some inspired, brilliant selection, which it simply wasn't. It was a shocker, and shockers generally look better when they fail to pay-off.
I think it is safe to say that the media are not changing their mind on this one.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd hate to see him do well because if he does it makes it look to those who judge selection purely on outcome like some inspired, brilliant selection, which it simply wasn't.
Well as an England supporter I wouldn't hate to see him do well, I'd be delighted.

And if his selection proves successful I frankly couldn't care less whether it was anything more rational than a hunch.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As an England supporter I'm also concerned more about long-term than short-term. If Pattinson were to do well, that'd be him in the frame for more than this game, rather than written-off as a terrible mistake as I think it'd be so much best if he were.

If we lose this game badly rather than by a small margin, I see it as a small price to pay for learning better lessons than we otherwise would.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd suggest on the evidence of the last couple of days that the Headingley crowd may not be very generous in their applause for this hundred if he gets it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Am wondering what the reaction would be should he be dismissed for 99 TBH.

Hope it doesn't happen obv - hate 99s, for any batsman. So untidy.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
As an England supporter I'm also concerned more about long-term than short-term. If Pattinson were to do well, that'd be him in the frame for more than this game, rather than written-off as a terrible mistake as I think it'd be so much best if he were.
I'm struggling to see any hint of logic in that. If he were to do well then we would have discovered a bowler capable of success at Test level. In which case I'd have no problem him being in the frame for more games.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Big applause on the balcony but boos around the ground, it's not clear why. So he briings up 100 runs from 264 balls, the slowest of his Test hundreds

How thick are Cricinfo commentators (and Atherton too it seems)?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Atherton being slightly disingenuous there "A round of boos, I'm not sure why?". Claiming grassed catches never likely to endear a player to the opposing fans is it, Michael?

Poor show from the crowd all the same, like to think we're better than that as a nation.

Bollox. Edged & just didn't carry to Cook.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I've got to admit I'm perfectly happy about ABdV getting booed. I'm disappointed that he got any runs at all in fact.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
I'm struggling to see any hint of logic in that. If he were to do well then we would have discovered a bowler capable of success at Test level. In which case I'd have no problem him being in the frame for more games.
Blah blah obvious fluke blah blah not test class blah blah Dominic Cork better blah blah first chance average