• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Unusual. Ball hits the pad and is caught slip, appeal, no-one sure what for.

All's well that ends well - was no bat, was too high, n\o the decision.
Fine delivery none the less. Can't say England are having a great deal of luck this morning. Why would Broad be on? Flintoff looked useful

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is it me, or does it look like the ball's going through quicker today?
Didn't really see much yesterday, but it certainly looks a bit sharper than it did on the first day.

Love the way Atherton describes Broad as being "a little short of wickets of late". How about for all his Test career?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I know he has. Obviously I've only watched 1 of those games, but in that he bowled as woefully as he usually does and did not take so much as a single one of the 8(?) wickets in the game with good bowling.
You're being quite harsh there. Mahmood this year is an obvious improvement on when he was playing for England. So much so that I don't actually mind him being in the Lancs side any more.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Didn't really see much yesterday, but it certainly looks a bit sharper than it did on the first day.

Love the way Atherton describes Broad as being "a little short of wickets of late". How about for all his Test career?
Yeah I just wrote down the team I thought England should have and included Broad.

With Flintoff back I wouldn't even include Broad.

Collingwood and Hoggard in for Pattinson and Broad would have been gun.

Zinzan

When NZ were playing England, I was always most relaxed when Broad was bowling to be honest, clearly the least-threatening bowler for England this summer

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You're being quite harsh there. Mahmood this year is an obvious improvement on when he was playing for England. So much so that I don't actually mind him being in the Lancs side any more.
Well as I say, that's the only game I've seen this season, so he might've bowled less than pathetically in others. But he was woeful in that Sussex game, nothing short of, and impossibly fortunate to get that 8-for or whatever it was, when a 0-for would have fairly reflected his performance.

Absolute travesty that Flintoff went wicketless that game while Mahmood got such a haul.

Prince's best Test score, apparently.

pasag

RTDAS
Ashwell gets his highest Test score and the partnership is almost higher than England's first innings total.

Zinzan

Shot Prince - so compact at the crease, he reminds me of someone and I can't quite think who - annoying

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ashwell gets his highest Test score and the partnership is almost higher than England's first innings total.
BTW having not seen any of yesterday's second and third sessions (whatever there was between rain) I'm not totally sure if there were any let-offs - were there?

Zinzan

Glorious cover-drive Prince...can't help but feel for Anderson this morning, has bowled some rippers

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry, I've re-read this post about half-a-dozen times now & your meaning still eludes me. :unsure:
That when it comes to selection having something that helps you stand out from the pack or makes you unique increase the chance of selection.

Sport is all about getting noticed and appearing different to the norm and the so called average. Different national origin, accent, skin colour etc all play a role in giving the player an edge in selection. It helps them stand out. There is nothing paticularly wrong with this apart from if its not noticed.

Ive benefied and been hurt by this. I can see it happening to my benefit etc.

When abilities are close its about who stands out and what names stick in your head. How 'interesting' and unusual you are really plays a role in this.

Just look at the 90s. Aus became the number 1 team in the the World and then suddenly Anglo-Aussies got better by association in the minds of the selectors. So we saw McCague, White, Mulally, Gallian, Hollioakes etc.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year