• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Just in case anyone was wondering this would have been my XI:

Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
KP
Collingwood
Bell
Flintoff
Ambrose/Mustard/whoever
Tremlett
Anderson
Hoggard Jones

Tremlett would be ahead of Harmison just because he keeps being 12th man etc. If you're going to keep doing that you've got to then pick him when a place becomes available. Sidebottom would come straight back in for Hoggard when he's fit, almost regardless of how well Hoggard does.

Actually wait scrub that I forgot about Jones. So him in for Hoggard.
Am not really, him being a regular 12th man unfortunately doesn't make him the next best candidate at all. If ENG are going to pick 4 quicks ATM it should be Freddie/Sidebottom/Anderson/Jones with immeditate back-up from Harmison & Hoggard.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Commentators talking about Warne commenting on Panesar being incapable of taking wickets when the pitch doesn't turn. Atherton suggests that Panesar talk to Warne on how to improve his performance on such pitches. Fundamentally there are several things wrong with that suggestion.

jammay123

State 12th Man
Commentators talking about Warne commenting on Panesar being incapable of taking wickets when the pitch doesn't turn. Atherton suggests that Panesar talk to Warne on how to improve his performance on such pitches. Fundamentally there are several things wrong with that suggestion.
mainly him being nowhere near as good as warne.

stumpski

International Captain
Some of those costumes are a bit intrusive aren't they - shouldn't there be a height restriction? Wouldn't be too happy about having to sit behind the chicken or the crocodile.

New ball taken.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I hope it pisses down for 2 days and we can forget this Test ever hapened. I still want resignations.

Just to show what I think of the composition, I think the selectors should be investigated for matchfixing. I dont think they are guilty but to select a proven failed concept, have the longest tail in Test cricket and pick a nobody ahead of at least half a dozen more likely candidates means the question needs to be asked.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Painful watching Atherton and Gower talk complete arse. Almost get to a pertinent point and then miss it. Both wrong on about 50% they say. Not just on opinions but facts.

Near worthless contributions.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I hope it pisses down for 2 days and we can forget this Test ever hapened. I still want resignations.

Just to show what I think of the composition, I think the selectors should be investigated for matchfixing. I dont think they are guilty but to select a proven failed concept, have the longest tail in Test cricket and pick a nobody ahead of at least half a dozen more likely candidates means the question needs to be asked.
Never mind resignations: a couple of lynchings pour encourager les autres is what's really needed.

Beyond that, Prince once again has given our boys an object lesson in test match batting. Are they smart enough to learn from him? Are they buggery, I suspect.

As for the rain, I have mixed emotions. Part of me prefers us not to lose and would welcome it. The other part thinks our selectors & captain need to be thoroughly ground into the Headingley turf if any iof this is going to be taken on board.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The other part thinks our selectors & captain need to be thoroughly ground into the Headingley turf if any iof this is going to be taken on board.
If lessons were really learned in defeat we'd be world champions by now.

Pattinson is an awful selection, not only inasmuch as he's been rushed into our test sqaud with umseemly haste under what one must assume to be a flag of convenience as Nasser mentioned his dad saying he considered himself to be a "proud Aussie", but also as a slap in the mush to other more experience bowlers who might reasonably have considered themselves to be above him in the pecking order (Hoggard, Jones, Tremlett, Shrek, Onions, etc).

Ambrose at six is just so counter-intuitive I suspect foul deeds afoot; Tiny Tim's been set up for the drop almost. This may be bordering on conspiracy-theory territory, but one might think that by looking so out of his depth at 6 the call for another, more Sussexish keeper who is better with the bat might go out for the third test if we're to persist with a five-man attack.

jammay123

State 12th Man
dear god if you think pattinson was a bad pick you should hear who bubles talking up to have played in this game.........Bresenan:blink: