• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Woodster

International Captain
Actually looked closer on Hawkeye than I thought it was. Just didn't look out, always seemed to be tailing down the legside. Should have been put away to be fair, strong area normally for Amla.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good move to bring Flintoff back on too. Almost gets Prince 1st ball of the spell, as Pattinson wasn't far from getting ABdeV 1st ball of his innings.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well he'd have had a job to do worse than 3 overs for 16.

He's gone OK, but still hardly The Ritz - a single wicket with a Full-Toss that was missing leg.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, bet Prince had heart in mouth there. That was closer than the Amla one that was given. And normally Harper walks away when he's not going to give one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Everyone still bowling too short for my money. Anderson back on, will he do the same?

And on that note, I'm off to play. Hope MSP doesn't get one no-use over pre-Lunch.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Given Fred's basically been bowling from one end for the whole session it rather makes one wonder why we bothered with five bowlers. It sure as hell ain't to protect Flintoff from the rigours of a full workload.

Was Sir Les's maiden wicket a good nut? Was in the shower.

paddy11

Cricket Spectator
158/4 at lunch. Pattinson claims his first test wicket with a contentious LBW decision, tight bowling from England but South Africa will be happy with the mornings progress

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Given Fred's basically been bowling from one end for the whole session it rather makes one wonder why we bothered with five bowlers. It sure as hell ain't to protect Flintoff from the rigours of a full workload.

Was Sir Les's maiden wicket a good nut? Was in the shower.

That usually happens when you've got 4 seamers and a finger spinner tho, particularly at Headingley. England should have concentrated on picking the 4 best seamers and Colly to bowl a few negative overs here and there - but the selectors are idiots.

Panesar's continued automatic selection is just as bad as picking an unproven Australian.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
It might be a silly question, but can someone tell me where Scaly's irrational hatred of Panesar came from? Was there some Durham bowler he was picked ahead of?

Scaly piscine

It might be a silly question, but can someone tell me where Scaly's irrational hatred of Panesar came from? Was there some Durham bowler he was picked ahead of?
You should ask where everyone's irrational love of a finger spinner that contributes very little comes from. At least Giles could bat and field whilst being a non-factor with the ball most of the time.

Neither of them deserved picking nearly as much as they have been.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
You should ask where everyone's irrational love of a finger spinner that contributes very little comes from. At least Giles could bat and field whilst being a non-factor with the ball most of the time.

Neither of them deserved picking nearly as much as they have been.
Fair point Scaly, if England want to pick 5-bowlers again & maintain the varitey of 4 quicks & a spinner which would give us a very long tail. I wonder if Graeme Swann would be considered for test spot.

Scaly piscine

Just in case anyone was wondering this would have been my XI:

Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
KP
Collingwood
Bell
Flintoff
Ambrose/Mustard/whoever
Tremlett
Anderson
Hoggard Jones

Tremlett would be ahead of Harmison just because he keeps being 12th man etc. If you're going to keep doing that you've got to then pick him when a place becomes available. Sidebottom would come straight back in for Hoggard when he's fit, almost regardless of how well Hoggard does.

Actually wait scrub that I forgot about Jones. So him in for Hoggard.