• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Has to be AF IMO.

He's the best bowler and can swing the new-ball - he needs to have it emphasised to him that he should.

In any case, Morne had success without swinging so much as one ball today. There is seam in this pitch.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm actually looking forward to seeing Pattinson bowl. Never seen him but surely, insane selectors and all, he must have impressed someone at some point.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I feel so sorry for Tremlett. He's been 12th man pretty much since the India series right on the verge of selection, played fairly well in the County championship and just when the an opportunity is opening up, with England's lead bowler incapacitated, and some random journeyman with a dozen FC matches to his name gets picked instead
Tremlett's Championship form, sadly, just hasn't been quite good enough. He's bowled economically but hasn't taken many wickets.

That waste of space James Tomlinson has out-wicket-taken him. 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm actually looking forward to seeing Pattinson bowl. Never seen him but surely, insane selectors and all, he must have impressed someone at some point.
Seen stills before and could have seen him bowl if I'd watched that Pro40 crap a few days ago.

Should be ITSTL.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They're explaining it now.

Atherton says he's a swing bowler. Tremlett blatantly is not.
Angus Fraser wasn't a swing-bowler either. Martin Bicknell was. But their voices are near identical.

Point is, though, that this pitch has seamed, and the ball has swung.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Angus Fraser wasn't a swing-bowler either. Martin Bicknell is. But their voices are near identical.

Point is, though, that this pitch has seamed, and the ball has swung.
Selections aren't made in hindsight. They must have expected it to swing. But you're right, they should have taken a practice session on the pitch before choosing the team.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I didn't expect anything in particular. I didn't pick him. Yes, I know you don't been me, but the point is that I wouldn't have picked him. However, I expect they picked him because they figured they needed another swing bowler, rather than another seam bowler.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
I didn't expect anything in particular. I didn't pick him. Yes, I know you don't been me, but the point is that I wouldn't have picked him. However, I expect they picked him because they figured they needed another swing bowler, rather than another seam bowler.
Have to agree with that. They wanted a swing bowler to replace Sidebottom. Nothing wrong with that logic. Just why not have Hoggard as the swinging replacement rather than someone so untried?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In which case, pick Hoggard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Have to agree with that. They wanted a swing bowler to replace Sidebottom. Nothing wrong with that logic. Just why not have Hoggard as the swinging replacement rather than someone so untried?
As I said to Heathmeister earlier - I really hate the "like-for-like" thing with bowlers. You should pick your best bowlers. If conditions appear likely to offer both seam and swing, seamers and swingers are as likely to be effective.

So I'd pick a seamer (Tremlett) ahead of a swinger (whoever) if they appeared the better option.