• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I actually don't have a problem with Wright currently on 3 off 18, provided he doesn't get out now.
I'd agree with you if Wright was picked as a genuine batsman. It's been stated ad nausium that he's been selected to take advantage of the fielding restrictions though, and he's not even attempting to so. If Cook or Strauss was on 3 off 18 with Bell blazing away I'd be fine with it, because the role of those players is to anchor the innings early on, but Wright isn't good enough as a batsman to play like this.

If Wright is going to do what he's doing, you might as well select someone who is comfortable in that role and likely to actually see it through.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No logic in that.
Its impossible to predict an outcome such as that. If you change one thing, then there is no reason for the outcome to be the same. Actually it is highly unlikely, statistically.
So if you change the position of a piece of dust, it's likely my finger will hit a different key on this keyboard I'm typing on here?

I think not.

Sometimes a change is likely to impact. Sometimes it's not.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Oh, I just noticed James Marshall and Hopkins are both (apparently) playing in preference to Fulton.

WTF? :blink:
It's not that surprising is it?

We all know that Marshall is the best player in the world. An automatic selection. An since we don't have a decent keeper, Hopkins was also a certainty. :unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd agree with you if Wright was picked as a genuine batsman. It's been stated ad nausium that he's been selected to take advantage of the fielding restrictions though, and he's not even attempting to so. If Cook or Strauss was on 3 off 18 with Bell blazing away I'd be fine with it, because the role of those players is to anchor the innings early on, but Wright isn't good enough as a batsman to play like this.

If Wright is going to do what he's doing, you might as well select someone who is comfortable in that role and likely to actually see it through.
Nick Knight reckons it's his Dad's fault.

Anyway, Mason on now.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

Hey but Prince maybe this tactic of Wright's is so all the kids can grow up wanting to be like him rather than Vaughan/Strauss. :dry:

Natman20

International Debutant
One has to question what has Fulton really done wrong to deserve this? He gets an injury and all of a sudden hes absolutely useless?

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Apparently Vettori in the pre match interview said that Fulton is really out of nick, so they "had" to bring Hopkins in. Cairns (guest commentator) also said Fulton is so out of form he cannot be selected.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
So if you change the position of a piece of dust, it's likely my finger will hit a different key on this keyboard I'm typing on here?

I think not.

Sometimes a change is likely to impact. Sometimes it's not.
No, a change in a matter of cm at one end of the pitch, and your expecting the ball to hit exactly the same spot on the pitch, with exactly the same deviation at exactly the same speed. And to add to that your expecting the batsman to play the exact same shot.

Natman20

International Debutant
Apparently Vettori in the pre match interview said that Fulton is really out of nick, so they "had" to bring Hopkins in. Cairns (guest commentator) also said Fulton is so out of form he cannot be selected.
I recall a few good scores in first class cricket earlier this year when he got better. I would still prefer a slightly out of nick Fulton than a Marshall that has already proven to be quite poor internationally.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Excluding his first 4 games, Mason's record against ODI-class teams is 4.87-an-over at26.55.

Not bad at all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, a change in a matter of cm at one end of the pitch, and your expecting the ball to hit exactly the same spot on the pitch, with exactly the same deviation at exactly the same speed. And to add to that your expecting the batsman to play the exact same shot.
Yep, and I don't really think it's terribly unlikely an expectation.

Anyhoo...

Leslie1

U19 Captain
I recall a few good scores in first class cricket earlier this year when he got better. I would still prefer a slightly out of nick Fulton than a Marshall that has already proven to be quite poor internationally.
You won't get a disagreement out of me. I wanted Fulton in the side no matter what. He's our Fleming replacement.

I reiterate Fulton probably pissed a few people off in the higher places when he mouthed off at the selectors in the news a few months back while rehabilitating through his injury.

Athlai

Not Terrible
James Marshall is also apparently a very nice guy and a team player who is the fittest New Zealand cricketer at the moment. To bad he's not that good at anything else, yet you can understand why he's being given some chances.