• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I daresay the question has been asked before, but if one of the forthcoming ODIs is reduced, through weather interuption, to 20 overs a side or thereabouts, will Richard be boycotting it? What about 30 overs, or 35?

Just wondering how many overs have to be lopped off before he considers it no longer worthy of his attention. ;)
35 overs is still just about entertaining enough, but once it gets below that I don't often take much notice.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A steak is not cricket. A Toyota Camry is not cricket. A pot plant isn't cricket. Playing cricket with your mates is cricket.

Test cricket is cricket at its purest and highest level, but that doesn't mean other forms aren't cricket.
Nah, hitting a ball with a bat with your mates isn't playing cricket. And I'll never consider it so. It's just having a bit of a knockaround.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
so if you go to the park with a cricket bat, a ball, and say 5 or 6 mates and have a 'knock about' that cannot be classed as cricket.
Nope. It's a knockabout. Simple as.
Interesting that you even consider a game in an organised league, between 22 players in whites playing 40 over stuff on a saturday afternoon not to be cricket if there is only one scorer, (like we had the other week), or even more commonly, only one umpire.
You need two Umpires for a game of cricket, and I'm truly amazed that you'd play a league game without a square-leg Umpire. One scorer you can just about get away with, but it's highly un-recommendable, obviously, as there's so much more potential for error.
Looks like I am just wasting my time on a sat afternoon then, because I obviously am not playing cricket.
Who said anything that isn't playing cricket is wasting time? I certainly didn't. I'm not playing cricket while I'm making this post, nor was I this morning. Nor was I last Monday night when I was out. I didn't consider I was wasting my time. There's much worthwhile worth doing apart from playing cricket.
Is football (soccer) football if you are down the park with your mates and using jumper for goal posts?
It's not really something I'd think about much, as I'm not really that much of a football fan these days. But no, I suppose not. Football being an infinitely simpler game than cricket, though, it'd resemble it far more.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I spent an enjoyable afternoon playing tennis, of course at it wasn't a Grand Slam event I can't really call it tennis, I shall have to find something else to call it instead of tennis, perhaps something like Rudolph.

pasag

RTDAS
Nah, hitting a ball with a bat with your mates isn't playing cricket. And I'll never consider it so. It's just having a bit of a knockaround.
There's no logic nor precedence to it though. You're basically rewriting the language and its vernacular as you please. It's one thing if you say it's not cricket at its purest form, but not calling a sport a sport just because it's not played at its highest level is idiotic; sorry to be blunt here but there's just no other way to put it.

Flem274*

123/5
I vote we change the subject before someone gets butchered.

Right so, England probably shouldn't be the favourites. We beat them with this same side at home and though it will be alot tougher in England, I think we will still win. Can't believe the British media have hyped Ryder up so much, its McCullum, How and Taylor they should be worried about.

I think Colly will find some form, ODIs are his niche. Will be interesting to see who opens for England, Bell and Cook? But the probably want Wright in there for some pointless reason so maybe not.

Sidebottom and Mills to be the main seamers. Vettori to outbowl Swann.

Marshall to continously get selected at three ahead of Fulton.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's no logic nor precedence to it though. You're basically rewriting the language and its vernacular as you please. It's one thing if you say it's not cricket at its purest form, but not calling a sport a sport just because it's not played at its highest level is idiotic; sorry to be blunt here but there's just no other way to put it.
:huh: I did nothing of the sort. I said it's not a sport if there's nothing organised about it. Hitting a cricket ball about with your mates isn't playing cricket. If I'm rewriting the language and its vernacular then, well, so be it. I don't have to accept stuff just because most people do. It really doesn't matter to me what others consider cricket, nor to others what I do. It's completely unimportant and TBH it's rather surprising what a fuss has been made of it by some.

GGG

State Captain
:laugh:

Magic.

Hopkins in for Fulton.

Southee in for Gillespie.

I think Mills must rate extremely highly in the squad judging by his poor form with the ball.
Bracewell is beyond a joke now, unless McCullum is injured he is saying Hopkins is a better batsman than Fulton. Fulton is a number 3 FFS, not a number 5,6 or where ever he decides to play him. When did Bracewell say he is leaving the job again?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Will be interesting to see who opens for England, Bell and Cook? But the probably want Wright in there for some pointless reason so maybe not.
I'll be extremely surprised if Wright doesn't open in the opening game. Could very possibly be with either Bell or Cook, and if the latter I'd expect the former to bat three.

Really hoping Swann can do well this series though - I don't blame him particularly for being smacked on the pea-sized (and sometimes misshapen) grounds in NZ, so hopefully on decent-size boundaries he can keep things in check.

pasag

RTDAS
:huh: I did nothing of the sort. I said it's not a sport if there's nothing organised about it. Hitting a cricket ball about with your mates isn't playing cricket. If I'm rewriting the language and its vernacular then, well, so be it. I don't have to accept stuff just because most people do. It really doesn't matter to me what others consider cricket, nor to others what I do. It's completely unimportant and TBH it's rather surprising what a fuss has been made of it by some.
The fuss is being made because it's absurd. If you want to make your own language up then that's up to you, but don't expect people to be happy about it.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
The colour of the sky doesn't depend on the language you speak. The colour of the sky stays the same, it's the language that's different. Blue, blu, bleu, blå, blau and azul are all fundamentally the same thing.

This kind of thing annoys me, just like when people say certain genres of music isn't music, or certain styles or types of art isn't art.
Actually, the Ancient Greeks didn't have a word for blue. They called the sky what translates as bronze.

(In other news, Richard is, obviously, wrong)

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, but, that's sorta the thing, language only works if everyone who speaks it thinks it means the same thing...

Pour example, let's say I thought that said something silly like: "The French are invading! Run, run for your life! You'll never escape!"

We wouldn't be able to communicate, and this forum won't work.

So that's why you shouldn't make up your own language with the exact same words and grammatical structure as English, but with different meanings.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
The French? Like they could invade!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, but, that's sorta the thing, language only works if everyone who speaks it thinks it means the same thing...

Pour example, let's say I thought that said something silly like: "The French are invading! Run, run for your life! You'll never escape!"

We wouldn't be able to communicate, and this forum won't work.

So that's why you shouldn't make up your own language with the exact same words and grammatical structure as English, but with different meanings.
Again - :huh: I did nothing of the sort. It really doesn't matter to anyone what someone hitting a ball about at the park is termed as. That sort of stuff isn't discussed on CW, because it's only ever relevant to those doing it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The fuss is being made because it's absurd. If you want to make your own language up then that's up to you, but don't expect people to be happy about it.
I'm hardly making-up languages. 99.99% of the time, if not more, it really doesn't matter what I consider various terms along the genre of "cricket". I've thought the way I think for a good number of years now, much longer than the time I've been a member of these forums, and it's come-up in discussion a whole 2 times.

It's a complete irrelevance.