• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in West Indies

chalky

International Debutant
I feel like I ask this question far too often, but what sort of pace have each of the West Indian fast bowlers been bowling today?
Edwards has got up to 90mph but been mostly around mid high 80's,
Taylor & Powell 80-86mph
Bravo 78-84mph

pasag

RTDAS
My goodness. Batting is supposed to be our strength. Symonds head and shoulders above in this series.
I wonder how much of it was a poor gameplan that didn't pay off though, come out and attack from start. Though Ponting himself acknowledged from the start that the openers would initially have to dig in, so why they didn't do that is beyond me. Disappointing to say the least, but there aren't really many inherent issues there and Jaques looking much better is a good sign.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Just had a quick look at the forecast for the coming days and showers are expected throughout.
Fingers crossed there are just short and sweet for the Windies are currently in a very decent position considering the wicket looks to my eyes ‘good’ for batting and most of the wickets accounted for today went down to poor, reckless batting.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Just had a quick look at the forecast for the coming days and showers are expected throughout.
Fingers crossed there are just short and sweet for the Windies are currently in a very decent position considering the wicket looks to my eyes ‘good’ for batting and most of the wickets accounted for today went down to poor, reckless batting.
Yea with Gayle back too... will be looking at 300+ then put heaps amount of pressure on our batting
only rain Lee and Clark can stop Windies from here.... its a good batting track from what i heard (new ball wasn't doing much) and Aussies played rather arrogantly (surprise surprise)

they have a great oppotunity to put massive amounts of pressure on aus in the second innings when they bat again, they'll atleast draw level if they dont get a lead

im hoping the tail can wag though, but dont expect it to wag till 300...

20 wides :blink:

Last edited:

masterblaster

International Captain
It's amazing to see how many chances Symonds gets, truly amazing. No other batsman in history has probably had the amount of luck Symonds has had in the last two years. Good on him for generally converting those chances into big scores as well just to infuriate the opposition even further.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Does anyone think jaques has done the dash to his india tour.
Nope.

He actually looked the best he has all series this morning (imo at least). It's probably as confident as I've seen him at the start of an innings at test level. Shame he didn't go on, but his head was still and his balance was great (not falling over and being caught in front).

In a weird way, I thought that 30-odd was one of the more convincing innings I've seen him play at the highest level.

Still back us to get 300+. Looking forward to seeing Lee, Clark and Johnson on a deck with some bounce. Might be Johnson's chance for a bit of redemption on this tour.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
West Indies had their chance and blew it(or rather Benson blew it).If the Aussies get 300 then the Windies chances are pretty bleak on this pitch.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Karma has to catch up to Symonds eventually, and no getting spanked by Warne in the last over of an IPL 20/20 match isn't enough.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I fell asleep but how was Symonds let off twice? PLumb in front or caught behinds or one of each?

Shame about the weather forecast, would love to see how the Aussies respond if the Windies can roll them over tommorow.

Laurrz

International Debutant
I fell asleep but how was Symonds let off twice? PLumb in front or caught behinds or one of each?

Shame about the weather forecast, would love to see how the Aussies respond if the Windies can roll them over tommorow.
He was caught behind not given early on
and then was dropped on 50ish...but got out soon later

we were 5/110 when he was let off i think... so it was handy stuff :) 80 runs bonus

more interested in how Windies respond, Gayle especially :ph34r:
on a pitch thats getting quicker too

Mister Wright

It's amazing to see how many chances Symonds gets, truly amazing. No other batsman in history has probably had the amount of luck Symonds has had in the last two years. Good on him for generally converting those chances into big scores as well just to infuriate the opposition even further.
Considering he started his career with some bad luck. Having to debut against Murali (on fire) in Sri Lanka and getting out to some spectacular catches early on, I think it's only fair.

duffer

He was caught behind not given early on
and then was dropped on 50ish...but got out soon later

we were 5/110 when he was let off i think... so it was handy stuff :) 80 runs bonus

more interested in how Windies respond, Gayle especially :ph34r:
on a pitch thats getting quicker too
Ah, fair cop to him for cashing in on his luck, even if it is a bit frequent for his haters' (ie my) liking.

And, yeah Gayle is a key but I'm looking more at how Johnson and Casson go. Having a two man attack has got to cost us at some stage right?

duffer

Considering he started his career with some bad luck. Having to debut against Murali (on fire) in Sri Lanka and getting out to some spectacular catches early on, I think it's only fair.
But is that really bad luck or just excellent cricket form the opposition?

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
But is that really bad luck or just excellent cricket form the opposition?
Depends on whether the opposition were otherwise mediocre. For large parts of that 2003-04 series, Sri Lanka undeniably underperformed (i.e - their spineless, almost Calcutta-esque collapse in Galle after gaining and then wasting 160-run lead, plus their failure to ram home the advantage after bowling Australia out for 120 in Kandy). Of course, they were quite good at times, but they should've taken at least one Test, given how flaky Australia were on occasion.

Besides, Andrew Symonds had around 4-and-a-half years of relatively barren 'harvests' in the ODI format. I don't begrudge him his luck; then again, I've always been a fan (despite him coming off as an idiot in person).