• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in West Indies

Jakester1288

International Regular
I hope Johnson doesn't. He needs time to play for QLD and learn his game better like Noffke has. Johnson has had a smooth rin in the side. Glenn McGrath was dropped after each of his first 3 test matches and look where he is today. Johnson hasn't maured as a bowler yet, he needs another season or two in State cricket. For the time being, I would like to see either Bollinger or Noffke drafted into the side at Johnsons expence.

My Australian side for the third test would be:

1. Phil Jaques
2. Simon Katich
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Hussey
5. Michael Clarke
6. Andrew Symonds
7. Brad Haddin
8. Ashley Noffke
9. Beau Casson
10. Brett Lee
11. Stuart Clark

One hell of a batting line up, not a weak link in there. That is definately the best tail in world Cricket atm imo.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope Johnson doesn't. He needs time to play for QLD and learn his game better like Noffke has. Johnson has had a smooth rin in the side. Glenn McGrath was dropped after each of his first 3 test matches and look where he is today. Johnson hasn't maured as a bowler yet, he needs another season or two in State cricket. For the time being, I would like to see either Bollinger or Noffke drafted into the side at Johnsons expence.

My Australian side for the third test would be:

1. Phil Jaques
2. Simon Katich
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Hussey
5. Michael Clarke
6. Andrew Symonds
7. Brad Haddin
8. Ashley Noffke
9. Beau Casson
10. Brett Lee
11. Stuart Clark

One hell of a batting line up, not a weak link in there. That is definately the best tail in world Cricket atm imo.
Test runs > FC runs for mine; I'd suggest Casson would bat below Lee and possibly Noffke too.

Plus, a strong tail isn't anything to brag about; remember when NZ were telling the world they had the deepest batting line-up in the world? How many 500+ scores were there? :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Test runs > FC runs for mine; I'd suggest Casson would bat below Lee and possibly Noffke too.
Casson batted above Lee in the Shield final. Obviously it was at a level of cricket Casson had already played quite a bit of and indeed scored runs in, but I think it's a good indication that they'd stack up that way in the Test team as well.

Top_Cat

Casson batted above Lee in the Shield final. Obviously it was at a level of cricket Casson had already played quite a bit of and indeed scored runs in, but I think it's a good indication that they'd stack up that way in the Test team as well.
Good point, didn't realise that. I'd still bat Lee above Casson initially; too much pressure on debut to be the great white spinning hope and be expected to hold a bat.

sanga1337

U19 Captain

Plus, a strong tail isn't anything to brag about; remember when NZ were telling the world they had the deepest batting line-up in the world? How many 500+ scores were there? :p
Its kind of funny how NZ does have a good tail and lower order yet their top order batsman suck

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
I'd like Noffke but I think they'll stick with Johnson. Who by the way has a higher FC and Test Av then Lee but is still batting below him so I think they'll bat Casson below Lee too.

Jacques
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Haddin/Ronchi
Lee
Casson
Johnson
Clark

On paper even without Noffke for Johnson, a super strong batting line up. Just don't know about getting the 20 wickets as often as we used to. Although remember that only 390 overs were bowled in the last match, another 30 overs not lost to rain and I think the Windies would have been gone given the weakness of their tail.

(With his batting Johnson might even make the allrounder list, if he could actually take some wickets!)

Last edited:

Stapel

International Regular
Are you Luke Ronchi?
No, however, I'm one of the best 2000 Dutch cricketers :cool: . But that's only because there are only 2000 Dutch cricketers :dry: .

Anyway, I got married 3 weeks ago, and I persuated my wife to go to Barbados for our honeymoon. Actually, I didn't need any persuation for that. I only need to explain her why I will be in the Kensington Oval for 5 days :) .

Last edited:

Isura

U19 Captain
No, however, I'm one of the best 2000 Dutch cricketers :cool: . But that's only because there are only 2000 Dutch cricketers :dry: .

Anyway, I got married 3 weeks ago, and I persuated my wife to go to Barbados for our honeymoon. Actually, I didn't need any persuation for that. I only need to explain her why I will be in the Kensington Oval for 5 days :) .
Oh man. I spent part of my honeymoon watching a test match. Not recommended!

Mr Mxyzptlk

It's not actually in world cricket yet. Two of those players may or may not debut in the next match. Casson is looking increasingly likely though.

Debris

International 12th Man
Good point, didn't realise that. I'd still bat Lee above Casson initially; too much pressure on debut to be the great white spinning hope and be expected to hold a bat.
Umm, Casson is seriously better than Lee as a batsman. No way he should be batting after Lee, even on debut.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Debris said:
Umm, Casson is seriously better than Lee as a batsman. No way he should be batting after Lee, even on debut.
Word. Hugely surprised it's even being suggested.

Debris

International 12th Man
The other thing for Casson is that making runs with the bat may help his confidence and, in his mind, take some pressure off his bowling. I realise that runs are not really going to help his cause for selection but he will feel like he is contributing if he makes runs.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Will be disgusted if they opt for Johnson considering the options available. They probably will, though.

Casson deserves a run IMO, less credentialled players have done more on debut - note a certain M. Clarke. Should be used as a shock option so he won't be blunted and have his confidence shot. The key problem here is that people are expecting too much from whoever takes the spinner's slot - if not another Warne, then another person to perform Warne's role of simultaneous attack and containment. Those days are over.

pasag

RTDAS
On what merit does Casson deserve a run though? None that I can see. Get Noffke and Bollinger in there, both players who have earned the right to receive a baggy green and are each in the best 11 players in the sqaud.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
On what merit does Casson deserve a run though?
The sad fact that we lost a Test at home last time we played a four prong. Hard as that is on Noffke and Dougie, it's going to weigh in the selectors' judgment.

Anyway, four fast men can't really work in the modern game - one's always going to be underused because of over rates. Not convinced that we really need four fast men when the ball's 70 overs old, either.

pasag

RTDAS
The sad fact that we lost a Test at home last time we played a four prong. Hard as that is on Noffke and Dougie, it's going to weigh in the selectors' judgment.

Anyway, four fast men can't really work in the modern game - one's always going to be underused because of over rates. Not convinced that we really need four fast men when the ball's 70 overs old, either.
It's not ideal by any means and I don't like it myself (argued Hogg iirc for Perth). As a rule if you have a good fourth seamer and a spinner that's around his level you go the spinner, IMO. But here there's no indication that Casson will be anywhere near Bollinger's level and I don't want to find out in a Test match either and a live one at that! Casson's about to become the Steve Bradbury of Australian cricket...yikes!