• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in West Indies

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Clarke with 3 wickets an in over not going through Ponting's mind? I don't really understand this, considering its not like his bowlers will be particularly worn out with only five more overs......

Bad decision right here from him. Obviously, the draw was the massively likely event, but its just five overs....

stumpski

International Captain
I would love to know what he was saying to umpire Benson there ... certainly Ponting was doing most of the talking.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting's been pretty negative often in this series so far. Disappointing.

On another note, presuming that Chanderpaul gets out in both innings in the next Test, he needs to score 328 runs to get his average to 50. If he's not out in one of the two innings which, let's face it, is likely, he needs 278 runs. Two not outs and 228 needed. Unlikely that he'll do it, but he should have a coveted 50+ average by year end at least. Good on him.

He needs 128 to reach 8000 too. Would be great for him to do it against Australia.

Beleg

International Regular
first draw in WI vs Aus since 1995.

WI resurgance or the emergence of a new, not-so-potent Australia?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Strange that he didn't just let them bowl it out. Anyway, well played by Chanders and Sarwan.
Yea, exactly. If you're worried about overworking people, just send Lee off the field and bowl Symonds and Clarke or something. It can't really hurt, can it? He knows from experience how it can change in one over, let alone five. Obviously, 99% chance of a draw still, but there is really no harm in five overs.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
first draw in WI vs Aus since 1995.

WI resurgance or the emergence of a new, not-so-potent Australia?
WI are definitely doing well, as was evident in South Africa as well. And Australia are certainly not as potent as before - imagine Warne and McGrath instead of Johnson and Macgill today. Their batting is as strong as ever, but now teams are confident that if they can see the opening bowlers off, they can build an innings. Before, Australia could pressure you relentlessly.

I don't know how long this will last of course, as they may find a world class bowler soon, but as long as it does last, teams have a chance. However, as I mentioned, their batting is still as strong as ever (they declared twice this match), so I think you'll see more draws not losses by Australia. It's still tough as hell taking twenty Aussie wickets.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And on another note, Ramnaresh Sarwan has passed 50 in 6 of his 8 Test innings this year. Twice in that time he has scored a century. In 119 innings before this year he passed 50 on 35 occasions. Has he turned the corner and is he now mature enough to be a consistently top class batsman? Interestingly too, his batting SR is higher than it has ever been, having moved over 45 for the first time.

Beleg

International Regular
^

Augurs well for West Indian cricket. For some reason, I really like the look of both Bravo and Ramdin. I think in the next few years both of them will develop into world class players.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Strong as ever? Not sure about that. I'd take Gilchrist, Langer and Hayden before I'd take Haddin, Jaques and Katich (as an opener).
Haddin isn't worse than Gilchrist of the last two years. Langer was better as an opener, but Symonds is better than he was, and so is Clarke. Hussey is still going strong.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
:huh: Once you're hit outside the line of offstump, and you've played a shot, you're not out. It doesn't matter if the ball is going to hit the stumps. If Tiffin thought the way you're suggesting, he wouldn't be a Test match umpire.
Yea i know the law, was just saying i can understand why Tiffin gave them out given the how the ball was reversing given that a few were ridiculing his ability.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea i know the law, was just saying i can understand why Tiffin gave them out given the how the ball was reversing given that a few were ridiculing his ability.
No. It doesn't matter what he thought or how much the ball was reversing. That is irrelevant to his decision, and if he gave it out despite knowing the players were hit outside the line of off stump while playing a shot, then it's worse than mere incompetence.

Either he thought they were hit in line of off stump and he displayed his relative incompetence, or he knew they weren't and he displayed his (I don't even know what to call it).

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
For the Bridgetown test i expect the selectors to pick Noffke, picking Casson wouldn't be too wise.