• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The difference is that NZ has a couple of guys like McCullum, Taylor and Oram who could potentially fire off a quick 50 runs whereas England only have Pietersen. The rest are very technically correct batsmen who'll hover back

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cricinfo quotes a bloke by the name of Ed:

Ed: "Just wondered how many chances Ian Bell gets ? Mathew Hoggard is dropped after just a handful of poor performances, but Bell seems to have endless selection guarantees ? Time for a change me thinks.."
That a poor decision was made dropping Hoggard does not mean another should be made doing the same to Bell.

ANOTHER BOUNDARY!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's raining riches here.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Go Broad! (Why am I supporting a young man not disturbed by the batting coach's advice about batting time)...

This pitch is so dodgy that it's not wise to just try and stay in. Because every third delivery from Vettori is unplayable and it's a matter of which ball has the batsman's name on it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wouldn't be suprised if Ambrose and Broad get a good partnership going
If so, Ambrose will owe Hair quite a bit.

Amazing that we've had the overwhelming rub of the Umpiring green so far in this game (probably about 4-1) and are still in a shocking position.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Wow, wish I could still watch this game on the telly.

Hope Ambrose doesn't do what he did at the Basin.
Echoed.
Not particularly wanting to go into Common Room as I completely riled a guy up about Vettori and wrote him off, so don't particularly want to deal with that. :oops:
Also the fact that they won't be watching it :mad:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Go Broad! (Why am I supporting a young man not disturbed by the batting coach's advice about batting time)...

This pitch is so dodgy that it's not wise to just try and stay in. Because every third delivery from Vettori is unplayable and it's a matter of which ball has the batsman's name on it.
Love to know where you've got this information about Andy Flower being responsible for the approach from. Or about it being so woefully wrong as it's being painted.

Notice how no-one - Broad included - has yet struck runs from Vettori? He's simply put a couple of rare bad deliveries from O'Brien (who has possibly been slightly disturbed by the left-hand bat) away.

chalky

International Debutant
Cricinfo quotes a bloke by the name of Ed:

Ed: "Just wondered how many chances Ian Bell gets ? Mathew Hoggard is dropped after just a handful of poor performances, but Bell seems to have endless selection guarantees ? Time for a change me thinks.."
I agree time for a spell on sidelines for Bell despite his 100 in New Zealand he has flattered to deceive for far too long now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I agree time for a spell on sidelines for Bell despite his 100 in New Zealand he has flattered to deceive for far too long now.
Collingwood should be dropped three times before Bell is. Not that now is the time for either.

I've said it before - in times of trouble, panic is usually the preferable option, and it's madness.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Ambrose was plumb, just before.

All this talk about the follow-on has largely been made irrelevant after some shocking bowling last over from O'Diren.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't expect someone to keep hitting perfect lines every single delivery. It has to go wrong eventually.

And the first change of the day sees Mills on.

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
Echoed.
Not particularly wanting to go into Common Room as I completely riled a guy up about Vettori and wrote him off, so don't particularly want to deal with that. :oops:
Also the fact that they won't be watching it :mad:
Haha, shades of my uni hostel days. Everyone at this time of night in the common room was always watching bloody soccer :@

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This last 16 overs truly has been one of the most depressing I've ever watched from an England-fan POV. Not that wickets have been gifted, because they haven't - they've been earned. But rarely has such serenity as early in this innings been followed by such chaos.
AWTA, though the contrast between Pietersen's play of spin here last summer and even in 05 with his leaden footed efforts in this innings was amazing.

His bat was miles ahead of his pad to that ball he edged, which seemed unusual from what I'd seen of him int he past.

As for Bell, well it's not the first time he's been a model of technically sound, textbook-correct-yet-soft-under bellied mediocrity, and I suspect it won't be the last.