• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
it will be interesting to see whether NZ would enforce the follow on. Im not so sure, I don't think they'd want to bat last.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
it will be interesting to see whether NZ would enforce the follow on. Im not so sure, I don't think they'd want to bat last.
No, you wouldn't think so, but it generally feels better to have passed the follow-on mark than to have given the option and merely seen it not accepted. Ideally, we'd get up to 182.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
10 wicket bag looming for Vets, he hasn't had one for since god knows when in tests. :D Yes, 10 wickets, I'll be surprised if he doesn't pick up at least 5 bowling last.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
and your O'Brien fanship quite outstrips that of most people's of a single player on this forum
Really? I'm not really that big a fan of him, just think that's he's incredibly hard done by. I've said before, in fact, that I don't think he's ever going to have a great international career, just that he's had much more to show than he has to date. Even though he bowled pretty much like this at the Basin Reserve against Bangladesh (however, I realise you just don't count this)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This last 16 overs truly has been one of the most depressing I've ever watched from an England-fan POV. Not that wickets have been gifted, because they haven't - they've been earned. But rarely has such serenity as early in this innings been followed by such chaos.

Days of Grace

International Captain
That may be true, but the weather forecast for the last two days is not promising. Therefore, I would be strongly thinking about enforcing the follow-on. The way England are batting, I doubt very much they would be able to muster much more than 300 in their second dig, even if they batted much better. Therefore, that leaves us only 100 to win batting last.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Really? I'm not really that big a fan of him, just think that's he's incredibly hard done by. I've said before, in fact, that I don't think he's ever going to have a great international career, just that he's had much more to show than he has to date. Even though he bowled pretty much like this at the Basin Reserve against Bangladesh (however, I realise you just don't count this)
I count it, but no more than his performances for Wellington, and neither of these count as much as Tests against Australia and South Africa. You may not be that big a fan of him, but you have plugged his case - understandibly so, as it is indeed surprising that a bowler as impressive as him at domestic level could be so woeful at international - more so than most people have plugged the case for a single player on CW.

pasag

RTDAS
Hope they do and from all I've heard about Vettori you'd think he would. Batting doesn't look all that easy at the moment either and you'd want to kick England whilst their down as well.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Take that England Fans & Media.... You will definetly feel badly for what you have said before the series started...

Fantastic work by Vettori & OBrien. NZ proving how strong they stand unitedly even without bigger stars

Leslie1

U19 Captain
I'd argue this NZ side is strong because our 'stars' are all at their peaks... and still going...

Vettori, McCullum, Oram (bowling) and Taylor.

Whereas England's 'stars' are out of form.... Vaughan, Pieterson, Hoggard, Harmison, etc... Had they arrived in NZ in form, we won't be facing a young Broad, and an inconsistent Anderson.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
To be honest, I could see NZ suffering the same way in their 2nd innings. I think the batsmen are going to be dead set scared on this pitch now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hope they do and from all I've heard about Vettori you'd think he would. Batting doesn't look all that easy at the moment either and you'd want to kick England whilst their down as well.
All the more essential that we get these remaining 15 (as of post) runs to make it irrelevant.

BTW, don't think I mentioned it - but awful shot from Bell to get out. Just seemed inevitable, though, really.

Craig

World Traveller
Cricinfo quotes a bloke by the name of Ed:

Ed: "Just wondered how many chances Ian Bell gets ? Mathew Hoggard is dropped after just a handful of poor performances, but Bell seems to have endless selection guarantees ? Time for a change me thinks.."

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Anyone heard the latest on whether Flynn will bat in the 2nd innings? At this rate its going to be sometime after lunch. :ph34r: