• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
OK, O'Dir(Bri)en on. And looks like Cook just pulled a crap ball straight to square-leg and at first I thought it was a missed catch.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IIRC Rick McCosker came back with a broken jaw in the 1977 centenary test and played a pretty crucial innings given the eventual margin of victory. Regarding Cowdrey's broken arm, am I right in thinking he didn't actually have to face a ball though?

EDIT
And didn't Malcolm Marshall bat one-handed with a broken arm against England in 1984 or 1988?
'84 it must've been, as Larry Gomes was involved, and he was gone by '88.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Shocking decision to give Cook out. If it was half an inch higher he'd have been hit on the thigh pad.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
'84 it must've been, as Larry Gomes was involved, and he was gone by '88.
Yeah, it was the 4th test in 1984. Turns out Marshall only had a double fracture of the left thumb, not his arm.

McCosker did come back with a broken jaw though in 1977.
And I gather Kirsten came back with a broken eye socket inflicted by a Shoaib bouncer in 2002 or 2003, which sounds absolute madness to me.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
BBC said:
New Zealand batsman Daniel Flynn will see a neurosurgeon as a precaution after feeling dizzy during the second day of the second Test against England.
Obvious now why he didnt come out to bat. Losing 3 Teeth on top of that, ouch! :ph34r:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For example when he bowled Martin, do that to eg:Oram, and he will smash it. But it is only Martin so it is acceptable.
It wouldn't be any more acceptable, it'd still be poor bowling. It just wouldn't be punished as it deserves to.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A Michael Vaughan cover drive is there a better shot in test cricket?
No IMO

So, been out again, another CWer to get a haircut today, what was Cook's dismissal like? From above it seems he got a shocker? I guess that makes up for the fact we only had to take 9!

pasag

RTDAS
No IMO

So, been out again, another CWer to get a haircut today, what was Cook's dismissal like? From above it seems he got a shocker? I guess that makes up for the fact we only had to take 9!
Wouldn't really call it a shocker, though it was probably a bit too high and going down leg and not out.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Is it un-purist of me to be a little frustrated by our slow-scoring of late?

I dunno, our success in Tests in 04/05 was at times built on some brisk scoring, in recent times 3 an over seems to be above average. When you've got the competition hitting at over 4 an over then you need to try and pull yourselves back in the game IMO.

Mind you, having said that the last thing we want is to find ourselves 4 down and having to rebuild. Alas, at the current rate it will take us to about day 4 to equal NZ's score

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Is it un-purist of me to be a little frustrated by our slow-scoring of late?

I dunno, our success in Tests in 04/05 was at times built on some brisk scoring, in recent times 3 an over seems to be above average. When you've got the competition hitting at over 4 an over then you need to try and pull yourselves back in the game IMO.

Mind you, having said that the last thing we want is to find ourselves 4 down and having to rebuild. Alas, at the current rate it will take us to about day 4 to equal NZ's score
It may have something to do with the guys at the crease today. Strauss is trying to rebuild his test career, and Vaughan's not exactly been a run machine.

As I type, Strauss dropped by Taylor