• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Flem274*

123/5
Taylor=100+
Oram=30 odd
Flynn=20 odd
Vettori=40 odd
Mills=15
O'Brien=7*
Martin=14 (6) :p

Someone else can add that up for me. I'll just miscalculate it. I think Martin will get a nice 2* in all reality though.

andmark

International Captain
Very gory match. Might not watch it. Because of England's short pitched bowling, which England have done for years.
It's just not cricket.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very gory match. Might not watch it. Because of England's short pitched bowling, which England have done for years.
It's just not cricket.
Haha, what? Some of the Kiwi batsmen were noticable struggling against short-pitched bowling so it makes perfect sense to continue bowling that way in order to take wickets.

Flynn's accident was just that, I highly doubt there was anything sinister in Anderson's intentions.

Craig

World Traveller
Nothing wrong with some chin music andmark. If the bowlers were overstepping the mark by a lot and bowling bouncer after bouncer with the intent to kill or throwing in some beamers then yes it would not be cricket.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's just not cricket.

Meh, Don't be a baby. I'm a NZ fan and I thoroughly enjoyed Anderson's spell of short-bowling yesterday. This is test cricket lad.

Zinzan

Flynn and Taylor for a half-century and double century respectively and New Zealand emulate India's efforts to win the 2nd test after drawing the first one. :laugh:
Latest word from the commentators is that Flynn isn't feeling so well this morning and may not bat in this innings and possibly for the match. Just hope they are wrong.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, what? Some of the Kiwi batsmen were noticable struggling against short-pitched bowling so it makes perfect sense to continue bowling that way in order to take wickets.

Flynn's accident was just that, I highly doubt there was anything sinister in Anderson's intentions.
Nothing wrong with some chin music andmark. If the bowlers were overstepping the mark by a lot and bowling bouncer after bouncer with the intent to kill or throwing in some beamers then yes it would not be cricket.
No, indeed, quite different to the situation when Anderson bounced Martin towards the end of the previous series. You can't expect to not give some short stuff to front-line batsmen - much as short bowling is usually pretty harmless. Flynn was just exceptionally unfortunate - he played the ball poorly, but normally a strike on the helmet won't do any massive damage. It was just right in the wrong spot.

I really wish Flynn had been wearing a gumshield. It's an oft-underrated part of a batsman's armoury these days.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Taylor=100+
Oram=30 odd
Flynn=20 odd
Vettori=40 odd
Mills=15
O'Brien=7*
Martin=14 (6) :p

Someone else can add that up for me. I'll just miscalculate it. I think Martin will get a nice 2* in all reality though.
Wouldn't disagree with much of that - if Taylor can carry-on his form of yesterday he's an excellent chance of getting a very good score. Oram is honestly anyone's guess; Flynn looks unlikely to bat again; and I'd be disappointed if we didn't get through O'Brien and Martin for next to nothing. Vettori and Mills are wildcards, both good lower-order batsmen, but always two people you've got a chance of running through if you bowl well.

Zinzan

No, indeed, quite different to the situation when Anderson bounced Martin towards the end of the previous series. You can't expect to not give some short stuff to front-line batsmen - much as short bowling is usually pretty harmless. Flynn was just exceptionally unfortunate - he played the ball poorly, but normally a strike on the helmet won't do any massive damage. It was just right in the wrong spot.

I really wish Flynn had been wearing a gumshield. It's an oft-underrated part of a batsman's armoury these days.
Can't say I can remember a batsmen wearing a gumshield or mouthguard tbh. Seen plenty of keepers though

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, I'd be pretty pissed off at Albion. The helmet really shouldn't be doing that.
Doing what? You expect it to be stuck rigidly on the head?

If a ball hits flush in the grille, it will be pushed back onto the face. There's no way of getting around that, save forcing batsmen to wear a helmet non-stop for 2 hours. A gum-shield is going to be invoked never for the career of most batsmen, but it's something that doesn't cause any harm to your batting chances, and if you are exceptionally unfortunate like Flynn, it'll save you needing a false-tooth for the rest of your life.

Teeth are precious things. Once they're gone, they never come back.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't say I can remember a batsmen wearing a gumshield or mouthguard tbh. Seen plenty of keepers though
They all did before helmets with grilles became commonplace IIRR, though I've not taken an extensive study of them.

I haven't seen many since grilles, if any, however.

As a wicketkeeper when you've not got a helmet on, it's madness if you don't, even standing back.

Craig

World Traveller
It has been said that Flynn will bat again. Anyway any chance soon that Jesse Ryder will stop being a dickhead and get James Marshall spot for good? Clearly he is our Sajid Mahmood, with naughty photos of Bracewell that he is threatening to release to the press.