• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in West Indies

Laurrz

International Debutant
noooooooooooooooooooo punterrrr

4/293

good knock..sounds like a great catch to get him out

a big wicket.. Windies back into it..

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nice to see Punter back in the runs. Normal service seems to have resumed.
He's baaaaccckkkk.......

Watched a lot of today and Ponting's footwork, even early,was first rate.

I'm really at a loss re. Powell though. I look at him and think "This guy could be a really good bowler - he's quick enough and gets some good shape at times, has a bit of aggression", he just doesnt seem to pick up wickets though. Can some WI supporters who watch a lot more of him tell me if I'm wrong about him, or is it likely he won't kick on to be a really good test bowler?

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ricky (h) gutted my double ton prediction didn't come true, but I'll settle with a casual 158 first up.

Top_Cat

Haha, loved Kat's knock. Reminded me of his first Test;

*WHACK!* 4 *WHACK* 4 *WHACK* 4. Commentators saying "Gee, this Katich fellow looks pretty good........ oh he's out."

Understandable nerves. Think he'll be calmer in the 2nd after getting that out of his system.

howardj

International Coach
Haha, loved Kat's knock. Reminded me of his first Test;

*WHACK!* 4 *WHACK* 4 *WHACK* 4. Commentators saying "Gee, this Katich fellow looks pretty good........ oh he's out."

Understandable nerves. Think he'll be calmer in the 2nd after getting that out of his system.
After getting out, he would have been death-riding the other lads in the knowledge that Australia may not get a second innings. Selfish, I know, but that's how cricketers think!

Top_Cat

Chappelli: Australia Better Without Gilchrist

I don't mind this sort of thing at all.

Good, robust comment - devoid of personal garbage.
Hard to argue with too - Gilly's form with the bat had dropped right off and with the gloves was starting to wane a bit. Considering, though, that he was not only the Test 'keeper but also the ODI 'keeper and opener, he was still holding together well. So many players have the luxury of giving up the OD game to prolong their Test careers but Gilly did both right to the end.

Simon

Usually think Chappelli is a complete goose but have to agree with that. Haddin will do a great job and think we might see him ton up tomorrow.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
So what happens if Hodge hits 100 here and Hayden returns for the second test. I personally woul stick with Katich. The bloke completely dominated Hodge at domestic level. Just had one bad innings batting out of position.

If Katich was the best batsman in the world what could he do to prove it?

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
So what happens if Hodge hits 100 here and Hayden returns for the second test. I personally woul stick with Katich. The bloke completely dominated Hodge at domestic level. Just had one bad innings batting out of position.

Clarke would come back in.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I put forward the same question earlier in the thread, but I forgot that Clarke would be back for the second Test. Neither of them will be playing unless Hayden doesn't recover (in which case Katich would almost certainly be retained as Hodge isn't going to open the batting).

Simon

Can't see why Hodge couldn't open the batting, has done a bit of it in OD cricket and has batted a large part of his FC career at number three, which isnt a whole lot different to opening. When Langer retired Hodge put his hand up to take the openers role, so he has a desire to do it.

That said I'd still go with Katich, but Hodge will put pressure on the selectors with a big score tomorrow.

sideshowtim

Banned
If Ponting kicks on tomorrow to 220ish he'll pass 10,000 test runs. Second fastest to do it after Lara.
Had he reached 10,000 in that innings he would've been the fastest to do it in terms of innings (which is what everyone should judge it off, not matches played). He missed out, however he'll have a chance to equal Sachin and Brian who both reached the milestone in 195 innings...It'd be quite funny to see these 3 greats all perfectly even when it comes to making their 10,000th run.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Lots of blokes have dominated at First Class level, only to be found out in Test Cricket tbh. Different game. Could be that Katich > Hodge in FC but Hodge > Katich as a Test batsman.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
He's baaaaccckkkk.......

Watched a lot of today and Ponting's footwork, even early,was first rate.

I'm really at a loss re. Powell though. I look at him and think "This guy could be a really good bowler - he's quick enough and gets some good shape at times, has a bit of aggression", he just doesnt seem to pick up wickets though. Can some WI supporters who watch a lot more of him tell me if I'm wrong about him, or is it likely he won't kick on to be a really good test bowler?
Got the goods but bowls too many bad balls.

howardj

International Coach
Disgusted Symo had a nightwatchman. It's not as though his place is in jeopardy; his position is very secure. All it does is shunt Haddin down to an acceptable place in the batting order and potentially leaves him stranded with the dregs.