• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I have no sons by legitimate means, even in CWLand. :| Even if I had, I doubt I could play for them.

And given that myself and Richard I (ie, Richard The Lionheart) were both born on 8th September, I refuse to accept any other Richard comparisons TBH.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't watch a ball of the first test given exams mainly, but given the way McCullum batted @ Lord's NZ don't seem that boring after all, so if permitted i might actually find myself @ OT for a few days.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think Southee will be dropped for Patel. :)
Interesting call and IMO, not an completely unfounded or stupid claim. Bringing Patel in for Southee could be interesting, given how Vettori managed to go last test plus Oram's been bowling alright. Worth a shot.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting call and IMO, not an completely unfounded or stupid claim. Bringing Patel in for Southee could be interesting, given how Vettori managed to go last test plus Oram's been bowling alright. Worth a shot.
Given that the quicks have really enjoyed Old Trafford this season, I'd be surprised to see NZ play two spinners.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's the biggest myth, though, isn't it? There's been turn on all the wickets at Old Trafford in the last 3 seasons - MSP took 10 last year, 8 the year before, and Giles would've taken 4 for not many in the first-innings the year before again if Geraint hadn't missed that stumping and allowed Warne to fortuitously slog him for loads.

The only seamers who've got remotely good figures at Old Trafford in recent seasons have been the reverse-swinging Flintoff in 2005, the exceedingly fortuitous Harmison in 2006 who was merely bowling at the right time and who did not bowl remotely well for the 11-for he was gifted, and the remarkable Sammy in 2007 who bowled decently but benefited from England looking to strike quick runs.

I can't say I'd expect Patel to play as he's been woeful on this tour so far, but I'd not be surprised if we got another wicket that allowed Vettori and MSP to run riot.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sammy a pretty tall guy actually. Probably above the Test average, though there are a fair few short bowlers in the game.
You sound alarmingly Tharmi-esque... again. Yeah I wasn't saying Sammy was a midget, but 6 ft 1 in is hardly that big - it's about average Test cricketer size, really.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
No I dont think Patel will do too well if given the shot, if you want a change for Southee then bring in Mason butI think NZ should keep the same attack.

Woodster

International Captain
That's the biggest myth, though, isn't it? There's been turn on all the wickets at Old Trafford in the last 3 seasons - MSP took 10 last year, 8 the year before, and Giles would've taken 4 for not many in the first-innings the year before again if Geraint hadn't missed that stumping and allowed Warne to fortuitously slog him for loads.

The only seamers who've got remotely good figures at Old Trafford in recent seasons have been the reverse-swinging Flintoff in 2005, the exceedingly fortuitous Harmison in 2006 who was merely bowling at the right time and who did not bowl remotely well for the 11-for he was gifted, and the remarkable Sammy in 2007 who bowled decently but benefited from England looking to strike quick runs.

I can't say I'd expect Patel to play as he's been woeful on this tour so far, but I'd not be surprised if we got another wicket that allowed Vettori and MSP to run riot.
Well Lancashire's seamers appear to have flourished at O.T. in the County Championship in the two games this season (slightly different I know), they have taken 33 of the 37 wickets Lancs have taken. Also, Mark Davies, a lively seamer from Durham, recorded 7-33 in the last match there.

Spinners may well still play a part, a Kiwi spinner has had some success already at O.T. this season, Paul Wiseman took 4-87.

All in all I think seamers are the ones most likely to do the damage, spinners perhaps a threat later in the Test.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, obviously wickets do (well, sometimes anyway) change over the course of a winter. I suppose we'd probably be better-served looking at the Championship this season rather than recent Tests, TBH.

Not sure how many games Marshall has played at Old Trafford this season but he's had no success wherever he's played.

Isolator

State 12th Man
Southee should be persisted with. If it were up to me I'd play him in both tests regardless of how he does. I think most will acknowledge he has potential, but I also think it's something he can realize fairly soon (as opposed to after several years of FC cricket). I do have a long history of backing losers, though.

Woodster

International Captain
Yeah, obviously wickets do (well, sometimes anyway) change over the course of a winter. I suppose we'd probably be better-served looking at the Championship this season rather than recent Tests, TBH.

Not sure how many games Marshall has played at Old Trafford this season but he's had no success wherever he's played.
Marshall has played only one Championship match at O.T. where his match figures were 38-5-159-2. Keedy was selected in the second Championship match at O.T. and was not given a bowl due to the damage caused by Anderson and Flintoff and to a lesser extent Mahmood and Hogg.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Yup - that's what I was getting at. Of course, if the standard of county quicks (Flintoff et al) has been high and the quality of county spinners has been low, then I suppose you'd expect exactly that.

Doesn't sound like this test will last 5 days, does it. Good job, given the weather forecast.