• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your English Cricket Season: 2008

Chubb

International Regular
Norwich & Coltishall Wanderers IIs 194 a/o (J. Bunting 54*, R. Humphries 38, Chubb 27)
Thetford IIs 183-9 (R. Keiser 4-30, J. Bunting 3-9)

This was a really good match. NCWCC are a big club in the Norfolk Cricket Alliance, the senior county league. They are the kind of club that has two overseas pros (although they do not draw a salary direct from the club- instead, the club finds them work and coaching gigs etc.), alongside a bevy of county players in their ranks. The IIs overseas pro this year is Rudolph Keiser, an 19-year-old Afrikaans allrounder who has played for South Africa Universities and has been tipped for international honours. I felt I was lucky to be playing in such exalted company. Former pros at this club include Ross Taylor (who by all accounts acted like an arsehole and received a ban for excessive sledging), Gareth Hopkins and Mohammed Wasim, who I believe has played for Pakistan.

It was a really hot day and the pitch looked pretty flat so we batted first on winning the toss. Rudolph opened the batting and hit his first two deliveries for four dismissively. We all sat back and waited for him to ton up. Unfortunately, the third ball he played back to and dropped it down in front of him, whereupon it rolled back onto the stumps and dislodged a bail. He was nonplussed to say the least. We lost another two wickets quickly, and I walked out to bat at 30-3.

I batted pretty well- the ball was swinging a bit but I just batted out of the crease and played with soft hands- I got lucky a couple of times but still felt really calm and in control. It helped I was batting with Humphries, a naturalised Aussie with a typical Aussie style, if you get what I mean. We saw it through to drinks at 93-3. Unfortunately Humphries got a shocker of a decision soon after and then I stupidly lost my concentration and played a terrible shot against a leggie I was having no problems with before- I was angry with myself. I must correct this problem. Fortunately for the team Johnny, my housemate and captain of UEA IIs, batted superbly to score a fifty. He received good support from the Number 11, who made 21.

We bowled pretty well, with Rudy taking out three of the Thetford top order fairly quickly- unfortunately their 5 and 6 proved harder to dislodge, and a final rearguard from their last pair took them to a losing draw, despite Johnny taking 2 wickets with his first two deliveries.

It was a really good match and it was fantastic to play and have some measure of success at a higher standard than I usually play- I fully intend to make this experience- and any more I get during my last few weeks at uni- tell when I return to Devon.

Unfortunately the match today against Derby University was cancelled on Friday because they could not raise a team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The IIs overseas pro this year is Rudolph Keiser, an 19-year-old Afrikaans allrounder who has played for South Africa Universities and has been tipped for international honours.
He'll be a Kolpak sometime next year then.
Mohammed Wasim, who I believe has played for Pakistan.
Mohammad IIRR, but indeed he has.
It was a really hot day
You can say that again. :dry:
and the pitch looked pretty flat so we batted first on winning the toss.
D'you get 2 new-balls in your league? We don't, so it's always win-toss-field, including yesterday. Fortunately, despite a nice bouncy, and pretty even, surface it was cool enough due to being up on Dartmoor.

Chubb

International Regular
D'you get 2 new-balls in your league? We don't, so it's always win-toss-field, including yesterday. Fortunately, despite a nice bouncy, and pretty even, surface it was cool enough due to being up on Dartmoor.
Yeah, two new balls. I'm surprised that Exeter have that policy, because that's not something we do at Upottery- largely, I suspect, because we don't take enough care of the ball in the first place. We'd only bowl first if the pitch was green or damp. What division of the DCL are you guys playing in this year? Our firsts are down in the new G Division and the IIs are in D East, which is probably about right for us.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Firsts are in the Devon ECB Premier; Seconds are in the top Second Team divison, Thirds are in D Division West Second Team League; Sunday XI are in the top Sunday League (that's Devon rather than East or West Devon); Midweek XI only play friendlies against touring teams.

Obviously, First XIs play 130 overs per day (compulsory declaration at 65), so there's two new-balls there. Seconds (Thirds and Seconds are in the same League, just a fair few divisions apart) play 92 (compulsory declaration at 46) with two new-balls, Sundays play 40 per side with one new-ball.

Midweek XI varies, depending on the wishes of the touring side.

If I'm playing, EVERYONE takes AS GOOD CARE AS HUMANELY POSSIBLE of the ball! I don't appreciate being given a piece of rubbish in my 5th over that was brand-new in my 1st.

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well, talk about a baptism of fire!

Our match in the South Northants Sunday League started off badly for me. We had won the toss and elected to bat, simply to avoid fielding in the blazing heat!

I was taking my turn at umpiring, and as I was due to come in at number 10, I took the first ten over stint. In the 5th over with my side on 15-1 I got hit (very hard) on the head by the fielding side attempting a run-out. I blacked out for a couple of seconds, but thankfully came to quickly with a dash of cold water being poured on my head! A lump that mirrored the size of the object that had hit me then proceeded to develop.

Back to the cricket and we staggered through our 40 overs to 115. There were some decent batsmen in our side, but unfortunately most of us got ourselves out (including me) with some injudicious shots..

I went in when there were 3 overs to go, with the instruction of just getting quick singles to get our number 6, who was still in, back on strike. Unfortunately, after blocking out my first two deliverers, I got bat to ball on the third into the off side and was called through, but the fielding side (for the first time) managed to field cleanly and get the ball to the keeper who effected the run-out. Great.

With just two overs to go after that, I decided to 'go for it', went for a massive hoick at the off-spinner and ended up top-edging to square leg. 115 all out.

The opposition started slowly, but built a good 1st wicket partnership. They managed to keep out our very quick opening bowlers and it took the introduction of spin to make a breakthrough. We got a second wicket in the next over (the 18th), at which point they were 52-2.

I got to bowl 4 overs. The first 2, which I would have expected to be the looser ones due to rustiness, were spot on and I only conceded 2 runs. The 2nd two were somewhat less successful, with 12 runs coming from them. It would have been more if I hadn't stuck out my left hand to a full-blooded off-drive, and ended up with a swollen left thumb to add to my swollen temple! So, figures of 4-1-14-0. I suppose it could have been worse. These were my first competitive overs since 1985!

They reached the target of 116 with just the two wickets down in the 36th over.

The captain said to me afterwards, that he had been playing for 10 years and never got hit on the head and I'd managed it in the first 20 minutes! He asked me if I would ever come back!

Apart for the blow to the bonce, I had a great time. It was very satisfying playing again after so long. OK, I hardly set the world on fire, but it was a huge buzz just being out there and part of it.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Firsts are in the Devon ECB Premier; Seconds are in the top Second Team divison, Thirds are in D Division West Second Team League; Sunday XI are in the top Sunday League (that's Devon rather than East or West Devon); Midweek XI only play friendlies against touring teams.

Obviously, First XIs play 130 overs per day (compulsory declaration at 65), so there's two new-balls there. Seconds (Thirds and Seconds are in the same League, just a fair few divisions apart) play 92 (compulsory declaration at 46) with two new-balls, Sundays play 40 per side with one new-ball.

Midweek XI varies, depending on the wishes of the touring side.

If I'm playing, EVERYONE takes AS GOOD CARE AS HUMANELY POSSIBLE of the ball! I don't appreciate being given a piece of rubbish in my 5th over that was brand-new in my 1st.
Sorry, but that is spectacularly wrong.

DCL Rule 13:
(b) Normal duration of Matches:
Premier 1st XI & 2nd XI, ‘A’ 1st XI & 2nd XI: 100 six ball overs (maximum)
All other Divisions: 92 six ball overs (maximum)

(c) Normal duration of Innings (side batting first):
Premier 1st XI & 2nd XI, ‘A’ 1st XI & 2nd XI: 50 six ball overs (maximum) **
All other Divisions: 46 six ball overs (maximum) **

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm evidently out-of-date in some respects then - haven't watched a Firsts game for a few seasons TBH, but there was certainly a point where it was 130.

100 does seem rather more practical.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, talk about a baptism of fire!

Our match in the South Northants Sunday League started off badly for me. We had won the toss and elected to bat, simply to avoid fielding in the blazing heat!

I was taking my turn at umpiring, and as I was due to come in at number 10, I took the first ten over stint. In the 5th over with my side on 15-1 I got hit (very hard) on the head by the fielding side attempting a run-out. I blacked out for a couple of seconds, but thankfully came to quickly with a dash of cold water being poured on my head! A lump that mirrored the size of the object that had hit me then proceeded to develop.

Back to the cricket and we staggered through our 40 overs to 115. There were some decent batsmen in our side, but unfortunately most of us got ourselves out (including me) with some injudicious shots..

I went in when there were 3 overs to go, with the instruction of just getting quick singles to get our number 6, who was still in, back on strike. Unfortunately, after blocking out my first two deliverers, I got bat to ball on the third into the off side and was called through, but the fielding side (for the first time) managed to field cleanly and get the ball to the keeper who effected the run-out. Great.

With just two overs to go after that, I decided to 'go for it', went for a massive hoick at the off-spinner and ended up top-edging to square leg. 115 all out.

The opposition started slowly, but built a good 1st wicket partnership. They managed to keep out our very quick opening bowlers and it took the introduction of spin to make a breakthrough. We got a second wicket in the next over (the 18th), at which point they were 52-2.

I got to bowl 4 overs. The first 2, which I would have expected to be the looser ones due to rustiness, were spot on and I only conceded 2 runs. The 2nd two were somewhat less successful, with 12 runs coming from them. It would have been more if I hadn't stuck out my left hand to a full-blooded off-drive, and ended up with a swollen left thumb to add to my swollen temple! So, figures of 4-1-14-0. I suppose it could have been worse. These were my first competitive overs since 1985!

They reached the target of 116 with just the two wickets down in the 36th over.

The captain said to me afterwards, that he had been playing for 10 years and never got hit on the head and I'd managed it in the first 20 minutes! He asked me if I would ever come back!

Apart for the blow to the bonce, I had a great time. It was very satisfying playing again after so long. OK, I hardly set the world on fire, but it was a huge buzz just being out there and part of it.
Kinda frightening that your last competetive action probably finished around the time I was born!

Chubb

International Regular
UEA IIs 292-5 (D. Sargeant 115*, T. Vehvilainen 31, D. Jenkinson 27, D. Littlehales 26, Chubb 14*)
Cranfield IIs 224 a/o (J. Bunting 4-49, M. Gilbert 2-38, D. Littlehales 2-37)

This was disturbingly similar to the last Uni game, except that, for a brief while when Cranfield were 190-4 with 20 overs left, the game was in doubt. We pulled it round easily though. Sargey got another ton- this level is far too easy for him. All our batsmen got starts and I ended up coming out to bat with six overs left on 240-5. The target was three hundred, which proved beyond us, but it didn't matter. Sargeant currently has no average, but even if he gets a duck on Sunday, he will have averaged 245.

Chubb

International Regular
His dad is from Finland, but he was born and raised in Lincolnshire. He does look Finnish, though, and his name always causes comment. He is a good batsman and a fine wicketkeeper. We have a fair few unusual names at the UEA- this was a team from last year;

Budge
Wimberley
Metherell
Vehvilainen
Littlehales
Fensome
Bunting
Girling-Budd
Lawson-West
Orlando
Billings

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My school U11 B XI tomorrow will include players hailing from the following:
Greece
Dominican Republic
Brazil
USA
Czech Republic

League of Nations FTW.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I am lazy so I C&P'd the match report from the website.

Well it took three games, but it did eventually happen!

Playing at home against Menston on a fine day, BRCC U15's inspirational skipper 'Wobbly' Miller won the toss and elected to bat first.

In a change to the batting order Pete Hewitt opened with Sam Morris. This proved to be an inspired decision as both batted very sensibly, putting away the bad balls and with some great running between the wickets. Mr Morris, despite alleging he struggled to find the middle of the bat, struck some fine boundaries and continues to impress in this key position. He eventually ran himself out for (again I haven't got the score book!) for about 30 which brought in the skipper who, by this time was literally 'champing at the bit' to get involved. The two of them batted with great maturity and kept the score box rattling along at a good pace. Pete Hewitt was out for (about) 24 after batting magnificently and certainly repaying the trust and confidence his captain showed in him, let us hope that this is the start of great things for the young left hander. Robbie 'Texas' Oldham was next up the 2 R's set about the Menston attack showing no mercy, as per instructions. Young 'wobbly' Miller retired on 50 not out scoring his first, and certainly not his last, 50 for the club. On a personal note, if you'll forgive me, I have to say that this was a innings of great maturity and skill, for one so young. Mr Oldham slapped, with great panache, a rather swift 20+ off about 8 balls and brcc finished with a fantastic 139.

Nathan Procter and Tom Revell opened the bowling and were immediately rewarded for good line and length when Tom cleaned bowled Mesnton's opening batsman. Nathan, who improves week by week, bowled a great line and length at good pace chipped in with a wicket. Two young bowlers who moved up from the U13'S this year are certainly worth a mention, Ben Ravensdale picked up 2 good wickets and Kieran Mitchell also bowled very well in his first game.

Without the score book I can't give you exact scores but we won by LOADS!

Well done to the whole team and lets hope this was the start of a long winning streak and NOT a flash in the pan!!

DCC_legend

International Regular
Match report from sunday, was playing under the name of Steven McCausland...

Won the toss and chose to bat first. Good start to proceedings with Mike making a solid 26 (three 4s) opening the batting, encouraging to see everyone contributing to the average total of 90, with Chris adding 11 down the order. We can do better with the bat and hopefully some more consistency can be added to the promising talent in the team to bring up more respectable totals in future.

Bowling wise, started poorly due to myself giving away twenty seven runs in the first two overs, but picked up after a while with Chris taking 3 superb wickets, a run out and also Steven Mackers contributing with a fine spell resulting in 2 excellent wickets and plenty of quality deliveries once the mighty Northfield slope had been conquered. Holywood's umpiring was questionable at times with wides being given for balls which had gone through the batsmen's legs and very close decisions down legside, but they were unwilling to reverse an erroneous decision and the umpiring picked up when more experienced players were in charge of it.

We were good in the field and overall I feel this was a promising start to the new season and with plenty of practice once the nets are repaired (!) this team has plenty of potential for success and good team spirit.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't bowl at the moment unfortunately, have a brace on my knee as I've done something which I haven't a clue what it is to said right knee.

So my season is currently, disappointingly, on hold.

Swervy

International Captain
Well I am second in my teams batting averages this year, on 69.00 (hehehe...5* and 64, it will rapidly go down I have no doubt). Of the 69 runs I have scored I am happy to announce I have hit 2 sixes, 13 fours and 5 singles so it hasnt tired me out too much!!!

And my team (Cambing) are joint top of the second divsion having won 3 and one rained off, after promotion....its been a good start

Swervy

International Captain
I recall you to be a batsman of not-completely-inconsiderable skill, am I right?
Well my claim to fame is that I played in the St Annes 4th one year younger than Flintoff did (I was 10).

I have developed into someone who on my day can hit the ball hard, thats all..hehehe

I actually look like a decent batsman on a fastish track (a rarity in my league), because I am a good driver of the ball, and I have (in my own mind anyway) a Ponting like pull, and when in touch, I have a lovely late cut. Off my legs though, I am shocking, and just get bored too easy if I havent scored for more than 4 consecutive deliveries.

Alas, just an aging club cricketer in a fairly crappy league.

Used to be a bowler to be honest, who I think if I had dedicated myself to it all, could have been half decent.

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
We lost last night in a cup game, as well as myself wrecking by back when I was running full tilit down a slope to stop the ball, sliding and smashing into a concrete bench. Hurt like a bitch and I can't play for a few weeks :@