• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Apart from Shah, who else should be ahead of Bopara in the queue for a middle order place right now?
Joyce and Ramprakash for starters.

Absolutely ridiculous that Luke Wright is now apparently ahead of Joyce in the Test queue.

Dunno where on Earth the mention of Samit Patel comes from either BTW - he's no closer than Rikki Clarke or Mark Davies (to a bowling slot, obv).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bowling, maybe. But batting, no - Clarke is a decent batsman, even though his performances for England A have been routinely shocking and his 2007 was equally so, so that he was dropped and in his impatience moved counties. He's still done as much in his career so far as Samit Patel has.

The previous post might be a tad misleading BTW - the (to a bowling slot, obv) bit referred only to Davies, not the both of them.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's the point of quoting those 2 words only and ignoring the rest of the post? :mellow:
Because those were the two words that my reply related to?

There's no point in needlessly filling up CricketWeb's database with regurgitation of a whole post when my reply only relates to a small portion.

Cripes!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But there was no need for your reply. You were pointing-out something I already knew, TBH.

Without wishing to jeapardise our newly-repaired friendship (YES, JEST USED!!!!!!!!!!!! but you know what I mean), your previous post just came across as a bit needlessly ratty.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
your previous post just came across as a bit needlessly ratty.
Which post was needlessly ratty? The one where I took the piss out of my own lack of batting ability, or the one where I expressed confusion about your observation about me only quoting two words?

I have to say Paul Ricard, that you are confusing the hell out of me here. :wacko:

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain

Absolutely ridiculous that Luke Wright is now apparently ahead of Joyce in the Test queue.

Dunno where on Earth the mention of Samit Patel comes from either BTW - he's no closer than Rikki Clarke or Mark Davies (to a bowling slot, obv).
Averaging 45+ and has had two good seasons in a row. If you can advocate Watson for similar feats, I'll do like wise for Patel.

Patel would have to be behind Joyce and Ramps in your mind then?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Easily. Both have done far more than have 2 reasonably decent seasons, which I confess I hadn't even noticed Patel had done. Show show?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Paul Ricard
That's Hamilton Ricard to you!
Which post was needlessly ratty? The one where I took the piss out of my own lack of batting ability, or the one where I expressed confusion about your observation about me only quoting two words?

I have to say that you are confusing the hell out of me here. :wacko:
The one where you said "I did say bowling only" (never mind the taking the piss out of your own batting ability, that was incidental). Point was, I knew you said bowling only, you seemed to be suggesting\implying\thinking I hadn't realised.

ANNNNNYYYYYway, never mind. :)

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Does anyone know if there is going to be any TV coverage of the match, like there was for last year's corresponding fixture against India?

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
From Cricinfo's preview of the game against the mighty English LIONS:

Player to watch: Tim Southee made an impressive start to his Test career with a five-wicket haul on debut in Napier. He has suffered some back problems in the early stages of this tour, but has now been given the all clear to resume. Barring any later reaction he is set to be part of the pace attack at Lord's and a good performance against the Lions will be a timely confidence boost.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Easily. Both have done far more than have 2 reasonably decent seasons, which I confess I hadn't even noticed Patel had done. Show show?
TBH, I was just clutching at names, Ramps will always be a talking point and Joyce seems to have fallen away ever since the World Cup (even though it was ODIs). Patel appears to be the only young player, with a decent record to be in the reckoning apart from Shah and Bopara who the original comparison was made to.

Flem274*

123/5
From Cricinfo's preview of the game against the mighty English LIONS:

Player to watch: Tim Southee made an impressive start to his Test career with a five-wicket haul on debut in Napier. He has suffered some back problems in the early stages of this tour, but has now been given the all clear to resume. Barring any later reaction he is set to be part of the pace attack at Lord's and a good performance against the Lions will be a timely confidence boost.
FFS more injuries? We're going to have to steal Australias injury prevention stuff IMO. Need to get the Secret Service onto it.

Though they may have some issues receiving the information if any more mad idiots get at their communications.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
In a sense, Ramps doesn't count. If the side was being pciked on merit, he'd be there ahead of one of Strauss, Bell & Collingwood. Failing that, he's certainly be in the development squad, or whatever it's called. As he's in neither, I'm treating him as being Officially Too Old.

As for Joyce, what's he actually averaged in recent seasons? I've always regarded him as over-rated, but maybe his FC figures will suggest I'm being unfair.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
With Vaughan going on record about Fred playing at 7 as one of four bowlers and Sidebottom being a certainty, that leaves an interesting tussle for the other two places. If the current heatwave continues, Panesar will also be a shoe-in, which leaves one from Anderson, Broad and Hoggard.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
With Vaughan going on record about Fred playing at 7 as one of four bowlers and Sidebottom being a certainty, that leaves an interesting tussle for the other two places. If the current heatwave continues, Panesar will also be a shoe-in, which leaves one from Anderson, Broad and Hoggard.
Hoggard for me, Broad second choice.