• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL match discussion thread

Laurrz

International Debutant
Bravo is not a dud in t20 by any means...(although Ronchi is, they should play Bosman in his place though, replacing one of the mediocre alrounders by Pinal)
Ronchi is not a dud in T20 at all.. he's been unlucky run out a few times

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Game in the balance here. Neither bloke timing the ball well but they're sticking it out, if they're in long enough to get the pace of the pitch there could be some fireworks.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
For all the criticism of the IPL, seeing Brett Lee, Shane Watson and Kumar Sangakkara blind drunk at 6 in the morning singing "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys makes it more than worth it.
That really is a great video. I know a lot of teams complain about the Indian team being in a bubble when they tour, which is completely understandable as Indian players can't go out to a restaurant or take a walk outside or they get mobbed. Hopefully sharing dressing rooms loosens a lot of the tension that builds up.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
My only problem with all these Australians doing well is I can just smell the Indian home advantage dissipating with every 20 run over....:p

JBH001

International Regular
For all the criticism of the IPL, seeing Brett Lee, Shane Watson and Kumar Sangakkara blind drunk at 6 in the morning singing "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys makes it more than worth it.
Haha, that is so awesome! Cheers for the link dude.

Sanga looks totally gone, and Binga seems a dab hand on the guitar. I dont really like the IPL, and find it dull, but one aspect I do like is seeing some of the top players in the world in the same side, competing, and looking like they are having fun on and off the pitch.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Haha, that is so awesome! Cheers for the link dude.

Sanga looks totally gone, and Binga seems a dab hand on the guitar. I dont really like the IPL, and find it dull, but one aspect I do like is seeing some of the top players in the world in the same side, competing, and looking like they are having fun on and off the pitch.
Yeah I agree. While it may only be poncy 20 over stuff for millions of dollars, I really enjoy seeing all the best players in the world (and the ones who have retired recently) getting out there in front of 50k and just having fun with each other and enjoying it. I imagine India would be one big party at the moment, I'd pay one of the clubs to let me come over and travel with them. Would be such fun, could talk to Pommie Mbangwa in the dugouts.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Aussie Media - full of it

rotf @ Hussey "leading" the Super Kings to a win.

Hate the fact that Hayden is leaving so early. I soooooo wanted to see him take strike against McGrath. Hayden V McGrath was one battle that would have been worth the wait. :(

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Australian media shows Aussie bias, Indian media shows Indian bias. Nothing to see here folks and certainly not postworthy.
to be fair though, the Indian media never says "Zaheer leads some English county to a win" when he has just taken 3 or 4 wickets and someone else has done much better. They simply report that a certain team won and a certain Indian player playing for them scored so much runs or took so many wickets. It is one thing to concentrate on the facts that will interest your target audience, quite another to twist the facts to interest your target audience.

pasag

RTDAS
I don't see why it's surprising or even that there's anything wrong with it. The casual Australian newspaper reader doesn't care what Dhoni does in an Indian domestic competition. Sure, I do, but I don't need to read the newspaper the next day to find out, so I'm not their target audience. What Australians do care about is how the Australian players are going over there, so that is what is reported on.
Spot on. Also a bit of misunderstanding on the term 'lead' here. A few players could lead a team to a win, it doesn't have to be term exclusively for the very best player. Many cricinfo headlines for example reflect this. They chose the Australian and reported about the Australian because of the reasons listed above. Absolute non-issue.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Spot on. Also a bit of misunderstanding on the term 'lead' here. A few players could lead a team to a win, it doesn't have to be term exclusively for the very best player. Many cricinfo headlines for example reflect this. They chose the Australian and reported about the Australian because of the reasons listed above. Absolute non-issue.
Yeah but it's always been a bit distasteful how the media in general (not just singling out Aussie here - they're all guilty) reports news to register with locals.

News: "358 people died in a plane crash in South America today......"
Punter: *eats his dinner*
News: "...... two of which were Australian!"
Punter: "Oh my GOD!"

Reminds me of that Family Guy ep where Peter explains the attention in the media when a cute white girl dies.

Truth is, locals only give a crap about locals. It's what our psychology is built on. It shouldn't be the case, though, and the news plays off on it to get ratings.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Bravo's only strength has been his batting, and he's only scored in bits and pieces. His bowling has still been dreadful, often match-losing, and no different from locals such as Nayar and Gaurav Dhiman- but Vikrant, Musavir and Siddharth are in a different league altogether- the make-up-the-numbers league.
really?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Ronchi is not a dud in T20 at all.. he's been unlucky run out a few times
Well the word dud won't be applicable to any player playing at this level I agree; let me put it in this way...He's in no way comparable to most of the foreign players playing in the playing 11 in this tourney...

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah but it's always been a bit distasteful how the media in general (not just singling out Aussie here - they're all guilty) reports news to register with locals.

News: "358 people died in a plane crash in South America today......"
Punter: *eats his dinner*
News: "...... two of which were Australian!"
Punter: "Oh my GOD!"

Reminds me of that Family Guy ep where Peter explains the attention in the media when a cute white girl dies.

Truth is, locals only give a crap about locals. It's what our psychology is built on. It shouldn't be the case, though, and the news plays off on it to get ratings.
Indeed, that's why you'll find the newspapers have 20 pages of Australian news before it has one or two pages of world news, often stuff a million times more serious than the article of the panda giving birth on the page before. Still, whether it's right or wrong, the media focuses on what people want to know about, that's what drives sales and ratings and here they want to know about Australian players so that's what they're given, as you pointed out. Furthermore, short reports like the one quoted that feature in the in-brief sections of newspapers don't have the space to provide complete pictures on the game and they only usually focus on one aspect, in this case the fact an Aussie did well.