• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Leslie1

U19 Captain
You have obviously never seen James Tredwell bowling. However, seeing as your entire cricketing outlook is based on district politics and conspiracy theories, I don't know why I'm even considering reasoned debate.
Nope. I'm being unreasonable with Vettori as usual. How bad is he? (Any English poster can respond if Neil don't want to bother)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nope. I'm being unreasonable with Vettori as usual. How bad is he? (Any English poster can respond if Neil don't want to bother)
Without wanting to stoke Tom (Spitfires_Fan)'s ire... awful.

Tredwell is a typical fingerspinner in being toothless on any non-turning surface, but this is compounded by the fact I've rarely come across a game where he's offered that much of a threat even when other spinners were.

Seems to be useful from time to time in the one-day game, but even then the thought that he's ever been anywhere near ODIs while Mark Ealham was 100% ignored for 6 years when he could and should have been playing is frightening.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Is an off-spin more advantageous skill to have than finger spin? I know it's harder to control with off-spin, but there just seems to be more variety with off spin than finger spin.

Athlai

Not Terrible
On a flat wicket, against a bowling attack like New Zealand, where it's highly likely we will be relying on teenager Southee to get us wickets like Sidebottom, you will pick him just to develop him won't you?

Martin - Can't get wickets anymore, showing signs at 34, he's past it. Whether he's ever got it, aside from the 5 wicket bag against South Africa a few seasons back.

Mills - Not quick enough to cause worries, he's there because there is no other bowler.

Southee - The only bowler picked on merit of the three.

Oram - Medium pace.

Vettori - Can't get wickets if he tried. Tredwell > Vettori as a bowler.
Vettori is our best bowler, one of the only fingerspinners in the world who will get wickets regardless of the conditions due to his use of flight and variations, yet not as effective in the turning conditions as other spinners. Mills is effective in short bursts and is still only really making his mark in the longest form, and Martin is looking like he's bowling his heart out lately, missed countess chances recently in NZ. This is an early tour match people, its not the end of the series yet, this is why we have these games.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is an off-spin more advantageous skill to have than finger spin? I know it's harder to control with off-spin, but there just seems to be more variety with off spin than finger spin.
Errr.. what?

Off spin usually is finger spin. Only in rare cases has a bowler bowled wrist-spin and been classed as an offie.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
On a flat wicket, against a bowling attack like New Zealand, where it's highly likely we will be relying on teenager Southee to get us wickets like Sidebottom, you will pick him just to develop him won't you?

Martin - Can't get wickets anymore, showing signs at 34, he's past it. Whether he's ever got it, aside from the 5 wicket bag against South Africa a few seasons back.

Mills - Not quick enough to cause worries, he's there because there is no other bowler.

Southee - The only bowler picked on merit of the three.

Oram - Medium pace.

Vettori - Can't get wickets if he tried. Tredwell > Vettori as a bowler.
Yeah, look, this one has sent me over the edge in that I will never ever take anything you post seriously ever again. Congrats. :)

Leslie1

U19 Captain
I usually add a :laugh: because I try not to post anything serious until we are playing England. But on sub-par bowling performances like that, where a County side can score 300+ for 1 wicket.... Key - yes. Tredwell? A casual spectator watching this would be wondering whether the Black Caps bowlers are of international standard?

I just heard they cap it at 100 overs so the other side can bat. Thank god for that!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I usually add a :laugh: because I try not to post anything serious until we are playing England. But on sub-par bowling performances like that, where a County side can score 300+ for 1 wicket.... Key - yes. Tredwell? A casual spectator watching this would be wondering whether the Black Caps bowlers are of international standard?
One could argue that Vettori would have got the vital breakthrough once the partnership established itself...

You can bag Mills and Vettori all you like, but they weren't playing, so they shouldn't be victim your "non-serious" knee-jerk posts this time around.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
If James Marshall and Peter Fulton do not find runs on this wicket, I blame our bowlers. :laugh:

Tredwell > Panesar.
Why would anyone entertain listening to this prat when he is so vociferous about his pro ND stance. Sure I expect some English to be sanctimonious toffs, but they no doubt have a right to be.

But to be bias because you’re from the region and to continue to whip yourself into a frenzy over it has me turning my head away embarrassed.

Try to imbue your posts with some sense of balance you peanut.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, look, this one has sent me over the edge in that I will never ever take anything you post seriously ever again. Congrats. :)
I was trying desperately to think of how to word my reply to that remarkable post...but you've done a much better job so I'll just quote it and say AWTA.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I've decided I really don't want Fulton in the side. His batting is bad enough at the moment, but he's also a complete liability in the field. Dropping Key yesterday proved to be a massive blunder, and I could easily see similar things happening in the test series. Of the two, Marshall (a good fielder by any standards) would have to get in, though it must be said I'm not exactly keen on his inclusion either.

Flem274*

123/5
I've decided I really don't want Fulton in the side. His batting is bad enough at the moment, but he's also a complete liability in the field. Dropping Key yesterday proved to be a massive blunder, and I could easily see similar things happening in the test series. Of the two, Marshall (a good fielder by any standards) would have to get in, though it must be said I'm not exactly keen on his inclusion either.
Its a shame as Fulton used to be quite a good fielders. Was a slip once too IIRC. Hopefully he can regain his catching form.

As for this stupidly huge stand, has anyone actualy seen the pitch? I'm going to wait until we bat then we might see whther its a good batting pitch or just exceptional batting.

Tbh with the likes of Grant Elliot in the team I'm not going to jump to conclusions yet.

Re Scaly: Just a shame England can't bat consistently to save their lives eh? How does it feel to have James Tredwell score more runs than Collingwood, Vaughan and co.?

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Huge partnerships without Mills in our bowling lineup = if Strauss and Bell's last partnership is anything to go by. :huh:

Flat wicket or not, if you're a bowler in form, you should not end up with a no wicket column for an entire innings of 90 overs +, unless one bowler is bowling exceptionally well and snare 5+ wickets with you in tantem, or your fielders are not backing you up. I see Redmond bowled his spins(?) in this game.

324 for one wicket from 90 overs in a day represent a great day's work for the batting side, regardless of the conditions. :cool:

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Re Scaly: Just a shame England can't bat consistently to save their lives eh? How does it feel to have James Tredwell score more runs than Collingwood, Vaughan and co.?
It's a waste of time engaging that pillock. Rest assured he'll be on here in a flash to gloat when we're down and find some ridiculous excuse when we're on top.

At any rate, this is just a tour game, I wouldn't read much into it. Our supposedly piss-poor bowling attack still took a test off a much more highly rated England during that last tour so 324/1 is an anomaly, especially considering the fact that it's hardly our test bowling lineup.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Right, that's it, Leslie. After the above message convinced me that your cricketing knowledge amounts to something just short of nought, the only people you should be criticising are the public health officials who decided it was OK to release you into the community. Oh, for the days of Cherry Farm to return...

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Right, that's it, Leslie. After the above message convinced me that your cricketing knowledge amounts to something just short of nought, the only people you should be criticising are the public health officials who decided it was OK to release you into the community. Oh, for the days of Cherry Farm to return...
I was too afraid to reply to his message fearing my eyes had stop working, unsure of my own faculties and their ability to discern between stupidity and Leslie. Thankfully I am not living in the twilight zone and others have also identified how moronic this chap is.