• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Taylor is 23 and we are calling him our most experienced batsman. I'm going to try and stop moping about the lack of any adequate batsmen aside from the picked hopefuls on a whims. :laugh:

I BLAME SINCLAIR FOR NOT STEPPING UP. :@
No, I'm not. I'm saying Oram is our most experienced batsman. He's been a regular (when fit) in the side since 2002/03.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Vettori is a 'better' batsman than Oram, but yet he's been scoring far more runs.
While I agree that technique is important, I also believe that the two most important things in defining a good batsmen are run scoring and consistency. In that respect, Vettori has been New Zealand's best batsman, since Mark Richardson retired, and by some distance too.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oram's been a failure with the bat for the past two years in test cricket. Vettori is light years ahead of him, McCullum is making more runs (even if he's spending about the same amount of time at the crease), and Taylor is also now ahead of him in my esteem. Probably our most experienced, with Fleming and Styris gone, and that in and of itself is of a lot of value, but he's still a long way from the top.
TBF I meant over their careers, not just at he present point.

Taylor has had one very good series against England, and a shocking one against South Africa. McCullum is a poor Test batsman, feasts on Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and hasn't stepped up like most people have been expecing. Vettori, well yeah, he's scored heaps of runs against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe too from memory, and his average has been boosted quite a bit by those easy runs and lots of not outs.

Fair call on Oram's failings over the last couple of years though. To be honest, that wasn't entirely unexpected though. Just watching him at the crease is painful due to his lack of footwork, and pretty much cluelessness against spin bowling. The last decent innings he played was his 133 against South Africa back in 2006, a country he's had a fair amount of success against. I'd still say that his batting career has been better than any of our current batsmen, but I can see Taylor and How both overtaking him, not to mention some of the other younger guys coming through.

FBU

International Debutant
I was going through some old cricket magazines and one article said Vettori (20) as a batter can be very obstinate and awkward to bowl to as he gives himself room and times the ball well on the off side.

He is still the same today. :)

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Vettori, well yeah, he's scored heaps of runs against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe too from memory, and his average has been boosted quite a bit by those easy runs and lots of not outs.

Vettori has scored heaps of runs against everyone, and while his average has probably been boosted by no's, its also probably been hit by having to throw his wicket away while batting with the tail.

Flem274*

123/5
"Best batsman" is hard to decide. Vettori wins in the sheer volume of runs but really he is not a top order frontline batsman. Oram is a number 6 who has done well for an allrounder with the bat during his career but his recent drop off in form has been alarming. Good news is he has ability and a few technical tweaks and he should (hopefully) be right. Taylor and How are genuine top order batsmen with serious potential for the side however as they're finding their feet still in test cricket its too early to call them our best. McCullum is another with genuine potential who hasn't made the step up but he's showing signs this may change.

In short, we're a team of inexperienced and/or technically dodgy batsmen who all have potential but haven't bloomed as of yet and we have the worlds most annoying duo of Vettori and (when fit again) Franklin down the order.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Vettori's batting career summary (minus Bangladesh and Zimbabwe)

An average of almost 26, with 17% of his innings being not out.

Definitely not as good as Oram.
Oh please, vettori really only became a batsman about 5 or 6 years ago, to compensate for the decline in quality of his bowling after his back injury. Since the start of 2002, he averages close to 33.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru...al1=span;team=5;template=results;type=batting

Since Mark Richardson retired (the period I was actually talking about), he's averaged nearly 43.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru...al1=span;team=5;template=results;type=batting

In the same period, (although he admittedly has only played 8 tests), Oram has averaged 22. And in terms of runs per innings, Oram averages under 20, While Vettori averages in the mid 30's.

Last edited:

Leslie1

U19 Captain
In short, we're a team of inexperienced and/or technically dodgy batsmen who all have potential but haven't bloomed as of yet...
When did we ever have a batting lineup that's fully blossomed in full bloom for the last 15 seasons? (That's one career been and gone for a lot of batsmen.)

:unsure:

The last lineup that I thought was mature and decent was when Martin Crowe and Greatbatch were in the lineup. Aside from that, it's always "potential" and "technically dodgy" that sums up our batting efforts. No other country relies more on the bowlers to do the bulk of the winning of a test match than us (ie relying on the opposition to have batting collapses) in tests.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
When did we ever have a batting lineup that's fully blossomed in full bloom for the last 15 seasons? (That's one career been and gone for a lot of batsmen.)

:unsure:

The last lineup that I thought was mature and decent was when Martin Crowe and Greatbatch were in the lineup. Aside from that, it's always "potential" and "technically dodgy" that sums up our batting efforts. No other country relies more on the bowlers to do the bulk of the winning of a test match than us (ie relying on the opposition to have batting collapses) in tests.
Nah, from 2002 to 2004 we had a very good batting lineup, arguably as good as anything we had in the 1980's, with Richardson solid at the top, Fleming, Astle, McMillan, Cairns and Styris all at their peak. That lineup had, effectively, its last hurrah on our last tour to England where they generally held up very well, passing 350 four times, and only failing to make 200 once (only to be let down by some attrocious bowling).

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Nah, from 2002 to 2004 we had a very good batting lineup, arguably as good as anything we had in the 1980's, with Richardson solid at the top, Fleming, Astle, McMillan, Cairns and Styris all at their peak. That lineup had, effectively, its last hurrah on our last tour to England where they generally held up very well, passing 350 four times, and only failing to make 200 once (only to be let down by some attrocious bowling).
Agree with this post. We had a good batting line up around that time. In the last few years we've seen a fair whack of experienced batsmen retire, get mucked around by selectors and/or go to the ICL.

The batting line up that will face England this winter will be the most inexperienced for us in quite some time.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
I hope the phrase "attrocious bowling" is in part due to Vettori being part of the lineup! :laugh:

Just kidding.

Obviously we can't use history to judge the current lineup we have got over there because history can only be written by the present. And presently, our top 5 batsmen haven't played in England yet.:-O So one can only hope for the best for one D Flynn, J Marshall and T Southee. One ND fan that is lol. Any one of these ND fellas get a 40+ average in the test series and I'm a happy fan. 8-)

Note: I include Southee because I expect him coming in at 10, with Martin at 11 to smash every ball to cow corners from now on. He might end up with a decent average like Vettori by the time the series' ended. Shockingly enough, his batting style has a lot in common with Vettori - uncanny.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Note: I include Southee because I expect him coming in at 10, with Martin at 11 to smash every ball to cow corners from now on. He might end up with a decent average like Vettori by the time the series' ended. Shockingly enough, his batting style has a lot in common with Vettori - uncanny.
Worst comment. Maybe in time he'll become a useful #9, but we shouldn't be pushing him to be an all-rounder like Vettori (I'm using that term pretty loosely). Southee played an extraordinary innings, one that nobody could possibly have expected, because he's never shown anything like that before.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Worst comment. Maybe in time he'll become a useful #9, but we shouldn't be pushing him to be an all-rounder like Vettori (I'm using that term pretty loosely). Southee played an extraordinary innings, one that nobody could possibly have expected, because he's never shown anything like that before.
Well, actually he has, doing it at both U19 and FC level from time to time. But I agree, the knock was a bit of a fluke, and given how early he is in his career, he should really just be focusing on his bowling. His batting really doesn't have that much in common with Vettori. He backs away from anything remotely resembling pace every delivery, his area of strength seems to be over mid wicket and down the ground, rather than through backward point, and he has quite a bit of difficulty dealing with short stuff. I expect the coaches to have some discussions with him about his batting in years to come, as he clearly has the hand-eye coordination to be good at it, but for now, he really just needs to focus on bowling, which means we'll continue to see those types of innings only once a year or so.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Well, actually he has, doing it at both U19 and FC level from time to time. But I agree, the knock was a bit of a fluke, and given how early he is in his career, he should really just be focusing on his bowling. His batting really doesn't have that much in common with Vettori. He backs away from anything remotely resembling pace every delivery, his area of strength seems to be over mid wicket and down the ground, rather than through backward point, and he has quite a bit of difficulty dealing with short stuff. I expect the coaches to have some discussions with him about his batting in years to come, as he clearly has the hand-eye coordination to be good at it, but for now, he really just needs to focus on bowling, which means we'll continue to see those types of innings only once a year or so.
In time. His debut at bat came 1 hour after he finished his bowling spell of 5-55. I watched him bat in U19 tournament and he was much better composed facing 125 average bowling. That being said, U19s meh. Corey Anderson definitely found out even at NZ FC level he's some way off from his batting dominance he showed in that U19 semi.

I think Southee's an all rounder (like a Pollock) in waiting. The one thing you do pick up from Southee is his ability to learn really fast, even during a test match. That's what elevated him from schoolboy cricket to U19s to Black Caps in such a short time. He only needs one bad innings at bat or ball to learn what to do in his next stint at bat and ball. Star gazing a bit but I hope he is worth all the hype I've been reading in the news and that his "player of the tournament" in pitches in Malaysia that is not conducive to seam bowling is worth something to go by.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Try telling that to the Hadlee brothers. Ian Smith compared him to Lance Cairns at one point, Richardson wished he had his batting, and Dayle simply said "the next Cairns". :laugh:

Add to that list, "19 year old McGrath" (Lillee). Cricket has too much histrionics to not include a name comparison. Especially since Southee hasn't been Southee in his own right... yet. We won't know until he has done his stint whether he's a household name, or simply a poorman's version of somebody who already is a household (sur)name.