• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL match discussion thread

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
India cap? Not a bad idea. A good IPL showing will have him in SL.
Gony and Sharma forming a bowling partnership for India together sounds pretty good, with the likes of Praveen Kumar and Irfan Pathan backing them up.
Haha wasn't being serious tbh. Needs a season or two of fine tuning before he gets into the India team. Like a lot of the new generation of India seamers they seem to be thrown in the deep end too soon. Then get throw back in heap once they find out their not ready. If he gets picked this Indian off season, he will mostly likely join the long list of Indian bowlers with potential but never reached it at International level.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Gony > any other Indian seamer bar Sharma IMO
Doubt it. We don't even know if he has the stamina to maintain over 130kph for more than 4 overs nor if he has the potential to sustain accuracy. Give him some time in FC cricket first. The IPL would have definately secured him a place in the Punjab FC attack though as the supporting bowler to Gagandeep and VRV.

masterblaster

International Captain
Haha wasn't being serious tbh. Needs a season or two of fine tuning before he gets into the India team. Like a lot of the new generation of India seamers they seem to be thrown in the deep end too soon. Then get throw back in heap once they find out their not ready. If he gets picked this Indian off season, he will mostly likely join the long list of Indian bowlers with potential but never reached it at International level.
Oh I agree, I was just adding fuel to the fire ;)
Gony's not ready yet but he has some ability. If you check out his player page, he has a FC bowling average of over 45. He needs to have a few big seasons in FC cricket first before he's a contender. I think Arjun was being a little premature in wanting him to play in SL.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
  • Dhaval Kulkarni - Small man, but he's bowled well against tough teams.
Worked up some good pace in the last game too, got up to 139kph.

• Rajat Bhatia - Often ignored in favour of more illustrious teammates, he's been unusually effective with slow-medium pacers.
Yes, his medium pacers have been surprisingly effective in T20. I'd like to see him bowl in FC cricket and see how he goes - he does have a good record.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I never said he would be the next Warne. Arjun you are taking that to an extreme there. He's done pretty well in my estimation due to the irregular chances that he's gotten. He never once had the support of Sourav Ganguly when he was captain, being in and out of the side constantly and only getting in if Harbhajan or Kumble were injured.

Had he had more opportunities, better fielders in the Indian lineup and more faith from his captains he would've ended up with a better average. He's one of those tricky players who are far better than their average. If you want to measure the capability of a player based on average, all well and good but I definitely think had Murali gotten as many chances as Harbhajan did he would've had a better career than Harbhajan.
That's a whole lot of what-ifs, and it's tough. Not having Ganguly's support is not an issue- he was never much good with his bowlers anyway. Not having fielding support is no excuse either- fielding is never a priority for the Indian selectors. With the same setup, Kumble and Harbhajan have performed better- a lot of Harbhajan's five-wicket hauls have come under Ganguly's captaincy. We've heard of world-class bowlers who've performed under unhelpful captains, and Windies' and Pakistan's bowlers have been world-class with a much worse fielding support.

Besides, if Kartik is a better bowler than his average suggests, we can extend that to Irfan Pathan's bowling, Praveen Kumar's batting, Sehwag's bowling and Dhoni's (and Yuvraj's) batting in Tests, can't we? As I've often said, I'm game for such a risk, but you have to get something out of it. We don't know what Kartik can provide.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh I agree, I was just adding fuel to the fire ;)
Gony's not ready yet but he has some ability. If you check out his player page, he has a FC bowling average of over 45. He needs to have a few big seasons in FC cricket first before he's a contender. I think Arjun was being a little premature in wanting him to play in SL.
I don't wish to lobby for this, but I'm game for this. The truth is, we've seen far too many pacers picked and discarded quickly without getting settled. It has happened every year. And among all those discards are some very talented, very useful bowlers. They need to get a longer lifeline, the way some other frustrating Indian players (mostly batsmen, off-form Harbhajan and Kumble) have had here.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I never said he would be the next Warne. Arjun you are taking that to an extreme there. He's done pretty well in my estimation due to the irregular chances that he's gotten. He never once had the support of Sourav Ganguly when he was captain, being in and out of the side constantly and only getting in if Harbhajan or Kumble were injured.

Had he had more opportunities, better fielders in the Indian lineup and more faith from his captains he would've ended up with a better average. He's one of those tricky players who are far better than their average. If you want to measure the capability of a player based on average, all well and good but I definitely think had Murali gotten as many chances as Harbhajan did he would've had a better career than Harbhajan.
it would have also helped had he had a real wicket keeper instead of Parthiv when he was bowling at his best...... With Dhoni or Karthik or Mongia there, he would have won quite a few matches and series for India....

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is because of CAS and the fact that Sony MAX is not on cable in most homes, including mine.. :(

With my bloody Set Top Box being sick, I am able to watch nothing. :(
Where I am, the cable operators tune it in on normal frequency for the duration of the game and switch it off afterwards. Thought that was happening all over India?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
it would have also helped had he had a real wicket keeper instead of Parthiv when he was bowling at his best...... With Dhoni or Karthik or Mongia there, he would have won quite a few matches and series for India....
Another what-if. We find that India's best wicketkeeper-batsmen are average keepers, while the best wicketkeepers in India are inadequate with the bat. They chose better batsmen.

Why Parthiv, even with Rahul Dravid as wicketkeeper, Kumble and Harbhajan have done significantly better. Even the pacers have done better than Kartik, who might become one more player in the Indian team who needs the whole team to play for him. He hasn't been among the wickets, and that's been the problem all along.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Manee said:
Yes, his medium pacers have been surprisingly effective in T20. I'd like to see him bowl in FC cricket and see how he goes - he does have a good record.
I have seen him bowl on NEO. He's really slow- bowls in the 100k range- but moves the ball quite well through the air. He doesn't give any room at all for the batsman to play freely, and in seaming conditions, he's more than a handful.

He started off as a seamer who could bat a bit, playing the role of an all-rounder for TN. He then disappeared, then returned to Delhi as a frontline batsman. In the recent past, with Delhi struggling to bowl teams out (and hence win matches), Bhatia has played as a stock seamer and the effect has shown.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The IPL TV coverage has peen pathetic even by NEO sports standards. Oh those ESPN days! Miss ya! Hardly has the last ball of the over been bowled, cut to the commercials. And unfortuantely if a wicket falls or a boundary is hit, no replays, extra commercials. The anchors have no clue on what they are talking and seems to be just intent on looking "cool". The camera angles seem to be premeditated. If hit for a six or a boundary, the immediate focus is on the cheerleaders, and the camerawork would sometimes even embarass C grade Bollywood movies. (eg - Upside down angle on cheerleaders clseup on their skirts slowly moving back and normal position, and worse repeated consecutively 3 times).

ESPN was classy, NEO was aspiring to be ESPN. This one is just atrocious. I might as well stop watching PL> I am disgusted with the quality. If need be limit myself to Warne, McG, Sachin.
Oh brother, I hate Sony MAX!!!

Athlai

Not Terrible
The random Indian chap survives, but a good way to get two of the most destructive batsman in the world in an over Jake.