• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL match discussion thread

Precambrian

Banned
The IPL TV coverage has peen pathetic even by NEO sports standards. Oh those ESPN days! Miss ya! Hardly has the last ball of the over been bowled, cut to the commercials. And unfortuantely if a wicket falls or a boundary is hit, no replays, extra commercials. The anchors have no clue on what they are talking and seems to be just intent on looking "cool". The camera angles seem to be premeditated. If hit for a six or a boundary, the immediate focus is on the cheerleaders, and the camerawork would sometimes even embarass C grade Bollywood movies. (eg - Upside down angle on cheerleaders clseup on their skirts slowly moving back and normal position, and worse repeated consecutively 3 times).

ESPN was classy, NEO was aspiring to be ESPN. This one is just atrocious. I might as well stop watching PL> I am disgusted with the quality. If need be limit myself to Warne, McG, Sachin.

biased indian

International Coach
So Irfan (and other Indian posters),

Do you really consider yourselves 'fans' of specific teams? I find it very hard to care one bit for the results of games as it is merely one random squad versus another with a thin veneer of city-based patriotism.

Mind, that might change when the Amsterdam Leafblowers snatch Kevin Pietersen and the mighty RTD and make mincemeat of all the other teams.
you answer was given in the delhi daredevils last game...i think...not single person applauded the half century by sehwag and he was little annoyed by it to ..do u need more open explanation :)

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
. The anchors have no clue on what they are talking and seems to be just intent on looking "cool".
They hired male models (and Jadeja) to do the presenting in order to pander to the women demographic.

The ads are meh, it's been like that in India for a long time I suppose and when you pay $1B for TV rights, Sony are going to milk every second for what it's worth.

Agree with you on the camera work. One of the games Yuvraj cracked a glorious drive through the covers but the camera was focussed somewhere on the leg side. To make matters worse we had Bish on commentary saying " Wow, shot of the day so far, I'm going to remember that drive and I hope you do as well " :laugh:

Laurrz

International Debutant
one of the best games so far in this tourny
so much drama... geez, action packed

Poor Symo :( I wished he hadn't bowled that last over, there is just so much that can go wrong b/w full toss and perfect yorker.. but he should've done better

that said Warney is a legend...
Awesome awesome captaincy too... to bring in Yusuf Pathan and get both Gilly and Afridi out

great scenes at the end when they all went nuts on him lol.. he's like the father of that team! Rajasthan ftw
My Deccan are struggling so ive decided to also join the Rajasthan bandwagon lol

ret

International Debutant
Missing in action

Brendon McCullum, Mike Hussey and Matthew Hayden, the stars of the IPL who have shone the brightest so far, will be missing in action soon. Players from Australia, West Indies and New Zealand won't be available to play in the IPL for the entire duration as Australia and West Indies are involved in a bilateral series while New Zealand tour England. The Australians are expected to play till the end of April before heading for a pre-series training camp in Brisbane while the New Zealand IPL players were allowed to miss the tour games in England but will nonetheless have to join the squad by May 1. Cricinfo looks at the possible impact of the event on the various IPL teams

Deccan Chargers
For VVS Laxman's Chargers, the coming weeks will see the departure of a big-ticket player in Andrew Symonds, who was priced No. 2 in the auction. Though he is yet to fire, it can be expected that he will show his class soon. While his departure, on May 1, means the Chargers will miss his allround skills, they do have Shahid Afridi and Scott Styris to fill that vacuum. Also, Herschelle Gibbs, in the bench currently, can, in theory, match up to Symonds' hitting prowess. So the next ten days could add another punch to Deccan's charge.

Kolkata Knight Riders
Sourav Ganguly's team will be the worst hit by the exodus. Ricky Ponting, McCullum and Chris Gayle, though he is yet to play due to injury, will be missing in action soon. Ponting will leave on May 1, McCullum on April 30 while the injured Gayle, even if he gets fit, will have to leave on May 15. These are big shoes to fill as Ponting is a proven commodity and McCullum became the first superstar of the IPL with a whirlwind record 158 on the opening night. They will look to the Pakistan opener Salman Butt and Zimbabwe's Tatenda Taibu to try plugging the big hole but it remains to be seen how effective they will be. Butt averages only 15.42 at a strike-rate of 81.20 in eight Twenty20 internationals and 16.62 at a strike-rate of 95 from 17 domestic Twenty20 games. Taibu averages 15.70 from 10 domestic Twenty20 matches but the runs have come at a fair clip of 122.65. Perhaps, Mohammad Hafeez will be pushed up the order. There is some good news for Kolkata, as the Pakistani seamer Umar Gul, who has joined the squad, will beef up the bowling.

Bangalore Royal Challengers
Shivnarine Chanderpaul is leaving on May 15 while Ashley Noffke and Ross Taylor leave on May 1 but the Royal Challengers won't be hit too hard. Misbah-ul-Haq, who has made Twenty20 his calling card, arrived on April 23 and Dale Steyn, who had a triumphant Test series against India, will be coming on April 27. Both are better players than Taylor and Noffke respectively but Chanderpaul will be missed as an opener. Wasim Jaffer looked out of place in the first game and Bangalore might decide to open with Praveen Kumar, who has opened in domestic cricket in the limited-overs format. The management is hopeful that the injured Bracken will get fit in time to replace Noffke. Even without him, they have a decent bowling line-up in Praveen , Zaheer Khan, Steyn and Anil Kumble, who is expected to get fit soon.

Chennai Super Kings
Hayden and Hussey leave on May 1 while Jacob Oram catches the flight on April 30 but they will be replaced by Stephen Fleming and the big-hitting South African allrounder Albie Morkel, who arrives on April 27. While Fleming, if he gets going, can make up for Hayden's absence at the top of the order, Albie can be expected to more than adequately replace Oram. But they will miss Hussey, who hit the fastest ton in the tournament - a 50-ball effort in the first game- in the middle order. However, the bowling will get better as they will have Makhaya Ntini coming in on April 27. Chennai has an inexperienced bowling attack that includes Palani Amarnath and Manpreet Goni but they have stood up to be counted. With Albie and Ntini in, it will only get better.

Delhi Daredevils
Daniel Vettori leaves on April 30 but Daredevils are going to get stronger with the inclusion of AB de Villiers, who joins the team on April 27. If the situation warrants an extra bowler or a batsman, de Villiers can don the wicketkeeping gloves as well. If they come across a wicket that aids spin, they might consider playing the legspinner Amit Mishra.

Kings XI Punjab
Brett Lee, Simon Katich and Kyle Mills will leave India on April 28. Lee's absence will really hit them hard, considering they don't have a foreign player of such class in the squad. Either VRV Singh, the Indian Test bowler, or the Under-19 bowler Ajitesh Argal will have to step up unless Tom Moody, the coach, decides to pick an Australian domestic player. Mills is yet to play in a game, and though Katich did play the first match, he is not known for big hitting and his absence won't leave a hole.

Mumbai Indians
Only Dwayne Bravo will miss out as he is leaving on May 15 to play in the home series against Australia. The allrounder Dominic Thornely, who was hit on the forehead by a Zaheer Khan bouncer and didn't play the second game against Chennai Super Kings, is expected to be fit for the third game. Mumbai will also have the services of the hard-hitting South African batsman Loots Bosman, who is set to join the squad on April 24.

Rajasthan Royals
No one is leaving and instead they will be bolstered by the arrival of Graeme Smith, Younis Khan, Sohail Tanveer and Dimitri Mascarenhas. Smith will add some much-needed solidity to the fragile top order while Younis will bolster the middle order. Mohammad Kaif has struggled at the top and Darren Lehmann has looked out of touch, so Smith and Younis could well replace them. Mascarenhas, who will be available to play in the IPL from May 12 to 26, is a perfect fit for Twenty20 - he proved his big-hitting abilities when he struck Yuvraj for five consecutive sixes in a one-day match last year. Tanveer, a niggardly left-arm seamer, can bat as well and will add an extra dimension to the squad.
appears as if the equations will change a lot for some of the teams after May 1st

I can see MI, Daredevils, Royals & KKR as better placed and the likely 4 semi-finalists

Laurrz

International Debutant
Warney' been good, but he too been no magician on Indian pitches, remember. And he had hardly much experience in International cricket as captain.
Irrelevant that he has never been an international captain imo.. everyone knew he could've easily been a fine leader in any team

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chennai will be hit the hardest when Hayden Hussey leave for Windies imo ..they are its batting lineup
Fleming will do okay and Morkel will **** the ball everywhere so all isn't lost yet. STill a downgrade but they'll still be okay with Dhoni, Raina, Badrinath and the foreigners.

Still think it's a bit much to be relying on Gony and Palani to consistently step up and I don't know how effective Makhaya has been in T20 so far. Although he will bring a wealth of experience to the team and a lot of energy as well.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Has Ntini ever really been good at the death? serious question as i cant seem to remember him bowling important spells at the end

will have to be more stump to stump i recn

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
With out ganguly kolkata knight riders wont be able to pull much people in kolkata

and read yesterday in a paper that Chennai...is the place where they are having the least viewship for the IPL and that too even when CSK is playing...so marketing wise i think ICON do benifit
It is because of CAS and the fact that Sony MAX is not on cable in most homes, including mine.. :(

With my bloody Set Top Box being sick, I am able to watch nothing. :(

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As for Mumbai, let Sachi come back from injuy, and his presence alone will ensure a packed stadium for all the next matcehs. Cannot remember the last time I saw a match that had Sachin in it and the stands were less tham 90% empty. Even a Duleep trophy match that i went to see in Chennai some 5 years back (if my memory serves me right) Mumbai Vs rest of India, the stadium pas literally packed despite the extremely bad organisation of the match and the weather.
lol... I was there... Sachin always draws huge in Chennai. As I said, the only other guy who can get that kind of cheers from such a huge audience is Rajinikant (the king of Tamil Box Office)... That is how good he is... Dhoni comes close, but no cigar. :)

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Not saying Laxman made the smart move. That doesn't absolve Symonds of his responsibility. You can't say its 10% bowlers fault - he's the one who threw down pies, not Laxman. Laxman is at fault for bad captaincy obviously, but its still your job as a bowler (and he is there as a bowler and a batsman) to not be total crap.

Again, not absolving Laxman at all - that was a dumbass thing to do.
Exactly.