• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Flem274*

123/5
He is stupid enough to play for Green Island - an area of Dunedin best known for poverty-line bogans and a landslip 30 years ago. But, coming from Timaru, I guess the boganism appeals to him.
Harsh, but probably true. One of the most unfortunate names in cricket.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Holy Voltman, that's one hell of a side. What has happened to Otago sport in general? They did so much for rugby back then too. What's happened? Population control?

Flem274*

123/5
Holy Voltman, that's one hell of a side. What has happened to Otago sport in general? They did so much for rugby back then too. What's happened? Population control?
Well during their extremely close relationships with sheep their children have grown up in cotton wool....:p

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Holy Voltman, that's one hell of a side.
Not bad for just one club, is it? And that's without including me - I coulda been a contender. :laugh:

What has happened to Otago sport in general? They did so much for rugby back then too. What's happened? Population control?
Oh gawd, don't get me started. In regards to cricket, I think our side of the 1980s which enjoyed success with the likes of Stu McCullum, Warren Lees, Wayne Blair, Derek Walker, Neil Mallender et al was based on a bunch of hard-nosed buggers who hated losing. I think we're starting to slowly get back to that point with this side - the sum is greater than the parts. Cricket in Otago/Southland is always going to be behind the 8 ball - I remember several seasons where, even at senior level, we were lucky to get two Saturdays of cricket on grass pitches, rather than artificial, before the end of November, by which point domestic four-days are starting to get into full swing.

The only way for Otago players to get practice on actual turf tracks is either sneak a game or two up at Oamaru, or head to Christchurch for several warm-up games, but it's hardly ideal for a greater squad to be transported several hundred kilometres to the north (Christchurch). It's something Otago can do very little about - we're in the lap of the gods when it comes to weather allowing decent pitch preparation (and from what I remember, October is almost always crap in Dunners).

As for rugby, I lay that decline at the hands of a) professionalism and b) the lethargy of the Otago union. Obviously, talented young players can now eke out a living from age 18-19, and the likes of Hawke's Bay's Zac Guilford who - 15 years ago - would have followed the lead of Taine Randell etc and headed to Otago for university studies and a thriving rugby culture, can go straight into professional rugby and slowly work on a tertiary degree over the next 10 years inbetween their studies, all from the comfort of their own living room.

We were still getting the remnants of the university rugby culture up until the end of the 1990s, but the Otago union appeared to simply expect them to keep coming. What's worse is we had the likes of McCaw (a good Kurow boy, who boarded at Otago Boys) snaffled from under our noses by the world-wise Crusaders/Canterbury juggernaut and all we seem to have taken in return are 2-3 year journeymen who haven't quite cut it in the Canterbury system. The only recent uni recruit I can think of is James Ryan, who came south to uni in 2001 (and, from a game I saw back then, looked like an All Black at age 18). Now, sadly, the Otago union has well and truly missed the boat - their academy simply doesn't produce players and we've just lost probably our best potential coach, Jeff Wilson, who is now in - guess where - Canterbury.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
So who do you think is gonna shine this series?

I think How is gonna push on and hopefully Redmond follows suit.

Flem274*

123/5

Bowlers from both sides to be dominant. Sidebottom to be Sidebottom, Flintoff to be inconsistent in his comeback from injury but destroy us once. Strauss to suck again, Pietersen, Vaughan, Cook etc to still be inconsistent and Collingwood will drive us mad by refusing to have the decency to get out when England collapse. How to be inconsistent but ton up. Marshall to do nothing except score a lucky fifty. Vettori to average 80 with the bat as per usual.

Both batting orders to crumble spectacularly reasonably often.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Are you suggesting that we might have an opening combination that performs well enough that both openers retain their spots?

Unprecedented in recent times.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Confident of us cleaning up the Tests actually. Flintoff will do well with the ball if he plays.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
With no Fleming, Bond, Cairns around anymore NZ have lost my interest this summer unfortunately. Hopefully some of their younger players can step up in the coming years since world cricket can't afford NZ to go backwards no in this post Fleming era.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Are you suggesting that we might have an opening combination that performs well enough that both openers retain their spots?

Unprecedented in recent times.
Stranger things have happened.

Well not really.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
With no Fleming, Bond, Cairns around anymore NZ have lost my interest this summer unfortunately. Hopefully some of their younger players can step up in the coming years since world cricket can't afford NZ to go backwards no in this post Fleming era.
Keep a lookout for Ross Taylor, Tim Southee as he develops during this tour to be a genuine kick ass talisman bowler, and Daniel Flynn, whom I think is going to rock some English bowlers due to his height (lack of).

TBH, post-Fleming might mean we see more centuries. At least more centuries than half-centuries. Even if it's once in a blue moon.

If there is one thing Black Caps do well, it's the fact that they never fail to entertain. I get value for money watching them because it'll either be spectacular (underdogs) or be the subject of 3 hour long conversations with peers about why we suck.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
We'll win if somebody manages to bribe Sidebottom not to play IMO, assuming Freddy doesn't heal up quick enough. Really looking forward to this, haven't seen any cricket in yonks.

Flem274*

123/5
We'll win if somebody manages to bribe Sidebottom not to play IMO, assuming Freddy doesn't heal up quick enough. Really looking forward to this, haven't seen any cricket in yonks.
Sidebottom to England is what Fleming was to us this season.

If either side gets any injuries then they are ****ed. Neither sides batting inspires confidence and the back up seamers are either inconsistent (Anderson, Gillespie) or useless (Harmison, O'Brien *ducks Heaths punch*).

Problem is if both sides stay fully fit England will win, though a few of our guys will be thorns in the side of the poms but the Sidebottom, Flintoff, Collingwood factors will get them through and the rest of them on a good day will get them through (Pietersen and Strauss haven't convinced me they're back yet, Matt Bell even scored runs at Napier FFS)

How and Taylor to get at least 80% of the top fours runs at Lords.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Ross Taylor - is he still a LBW liability? When he returns from IPL my guesses are he will be back to his hit across the line ways... How will get most of the runs, I'm not too sure Taylor can do it consistently.

Having said that, I think that before we know it, we'll be 3 wickets down while How battles to stay in with number 5 batsman. This will hopefully be Flynn. :dry: :laugh:

So, How and Flynn to anchor the batting side for Black Caps!

I'm looking forward to us developing the bowling unit into something we can use in the ODIs. In particular Southee - We should be using the same 3 seam bowlers through both forms of the game (+ Mills and Martin.) Batting is just bonus, and I won't realistically say we can win any of the tests. Heck, we'll struggle to win the two 4-day tour matches.

Also expecting O Brien, Gillespie and Mason to be spare parts and not take any part in any of the tests or ODIs. :unsure:

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
How and Taylor will cotinue their solid form, James Marshall willl be the suprise with the bat, every other batsman will probably be dropped after the tour.

Tim Southee will be solid all series and will take 5w one. Mills and Martin will be inconsistant at times whilst Vettori will be at his usual best.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There's an interesting bit at the end of the interview with Vaughan on cricinfo where he makes it sound definite that he & Strauss will swap batting positions, as he prefers batting at 3 and Strauss prefers opening. He didn't go on to explain why that didn't happen in NZ though.

Flem274*

123/5
How and Taylor will cotinue their solid form, James Marshall willl be the suprise with the bat, every other batsman will probably be dropped after the tour.

Tim Southee will be solid all series and will take 5w one. Mills and Martin will be inconsistant at times whilst Vettori will be at his usual best.
Best poster.