• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Nutter

U19 Debutant
Should Vaughan retire sooner than later? :ph34r:
I can see at least a couple of massive innings left in him, and unfortunately, one at our expense.

It's not like he's out of form, bowlers aren't really getting him out (save that gem of a delivery from Southee), he's just finding new ways to get himself out.

Flem274*

123/5
Just been reading the thread on our last tour of England below in the links, quite interesting to see the posters and opinions. Such different sides as well.

And geez Richard you used to be a grumpy bastard:p

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Man this tour really cannot start soon enough :dry:

Instead of squeezing meaningless tour matches maybe they should have made the test series an epic 5 tests.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just been reading the thread on our last tour of England below in the links, quite interesting to see the posters and opinions. Such different sides as well.

And geez Richard you used to be a grumpy bastard:p
Used to be?

TBF I suppose I'm a bit less so now than I once was, but even so.

My posts would all have been long before the tour started BTW - most of it was conducted while I was absent from CW.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Strauss and Ian Bell will eat our bowling for breakfast. After lunch though expect them to give their wickets away.... :laugh:

Does anyone else get this feeling that this series will be another low scoring series batting wise, and maybe england will sneak a few 400s in to win the tests?

I can't see us batting anymore than 300 runs, given the fragile batting order, and the swinging conditions. Can anyone forecast the three venues and give us a bit of history about the nature of each pitch?

Know this, Kiwis will be over the moon and it'll be official that cricket in NZ will take off if we manage to pull off a stunning upset and win 1 out of 3 tests. :)

Woodster

International Captain
Should Vaughan retire sooner than later? :ph34r:
Vaughan has plenty of runs left in him yet in Test cricket, whether that is as an opener or dropping down to number 3. Absolutely love watching his classical style and believe he should be part of this side (as captain aswell) for the foreseeable future, fitness permitting.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
(re Hoggard averaging over 40 in his last 12 tests) Nah me neither, although given much of it involved The Ashes 2006/07 I suppose it's not especially surprising.
Prior to that, Hoggard took 10 wickets @ 47 in the 4 tests at home to Pakistan. tbh he did rather better at home to SL in the series before that.

However, for all his admirability & all round worthiness, Hoggie really ain't a world class opening bowler nowadays. Still better than Anderson, obv.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Kiwis, particularly hard-core rugby fans and the media will be sulking if the Black Caps win one test. It will take away their glee of the Black Caps losing 0-3.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
As opposed to Black Caps creating the shock of the century by winning one test out of 3?

:huh: :laugh:

Man are we bored. At least I am. When is this series starting already. Good god. Let's hope our stars in IPL don't get injured playing hitlery gigglies. Otherwise there will be a backlash at home over the unavailability of say an Oram or a McCullum. Even Taylor. Man are we taking a huge risk sending these guys over there to get killed on flat trekkers?

sportychic33

State 12th Man
As opposed to Black Caps creating the shock of the century by winning one test out of 3?

:huh: :laugh:

Man are we bored. At least I am. When is this series starting already. Good god. Let's hope our stars in IPL don't get injured playing hitlery gigglies. Otherwise there will be a backlash at home over the unavailability of say an Oram or a McCullum. Even Taylor. Man are we taking a huge risk sending these guys over there to get killed on flat trekkers?
Yeah I'm bored too, even though I have plenty of University work to entertain me I am looking foward to some cricket. Am even hanging out to watch and follow the IPL which should be interesting. We are taking a huge risk with our star players going to the IPL but saying that our bowlers should be okay with only having to bowl 4 overs each game.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah I'm bored too, even though I have plenty of University work to entertain me I am looking foward to some cricket. Am even hanging out to watch and follow the IPL which should be interesting. We are taking a huge risk with our star players going to the IPL but saying that our bowlers should be okay with only having to bowl 4 overs each game.
Where do you go to Uni?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm guessing Palmy North as the location has recently changed from Naenae to PN. I was wondering why anyone would move to PN, but University's one reason why the otherwise sane would relocate.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
I'm guessing Palmy North as the location has recently changed from Naenae to PN. I was wondering why anyone would move to PN, but University's one reason why the otherwise sane would relocate.
Indeed that answer is correct. Could have gone to Vic or Massey in Wgtn but wanted a change and freedom from parents.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Indeed that answer is correct. Could have gone to Vic or Massey in Wgtn but wanted a change and freedom from parents.
I'd assumed you'd already been there, done that in respect to university, I have to say. Still, what's campus life like in PN? Can't imagine its that exciting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Prior to that, Hoggard took 10 wickets @ 47 in the 4 tests at home to Pakistan. tbh he did rather better at home to SL in the series before that.

However, for all his admirability & all round worthiness, Hoggie really ain't a world class opening bowler nowadays. Still better than Anderson, obv.
Never has been, really, ITBT. He's never looked like being as good as Angus Fraser, for example, or even Darren Gough. Has had his moments, and I don't doubt that had he played, say, 1993-2000 rather than 2001/02-2007/08 he'd have done much better with a ball that swung more. But can still see him having been something of a DeFreitas, though DeFreitas would never have managed Nagpur 2005/06 or Adelaide 2006/07, or possibly even Kandy 2007/08.

Hoggard has always been someone who could be very useful indeed as a second opening bowler in more swing(-and-seam)-friendly times, not an attack-leader. He doesn't and never has had the class for that, though full credit to him for ending-up far better than I'd reckoned he was ever going to be in January 2004. And, as you say, considerably better than the Harmisons and Andersons of his time.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
I'd assumed you'd already been there, done that in respect to university, I have to say. Still, what's campus life like in PN? Can't imagine its that exciting.
Am going to guess that the assumption was based on the 33 in my username? Am just a young'un. Campus life in Palmy is great, am really enjoying it to be honest apart from the fact that there is no bar on campus and you have to fight for the remote if you want to watch cricket.