• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

JHutch

Cricket Spectator
I wouldn't imagine Strauss and Vaughan are going to be re-reversed any time soon. If they were going to take a stupid decision like batting Strauss three, they'd be unlikely to put it back to "as expected".

Hope I'll be surprised tho. Strauss at three is probably even more useless than Strauss opening. More worryingly, Vaughan opening is considerably less than Vaughan at three.

Gillespie on. Hattrick averted.
I had been under the impression that strauss and cook hadnt done that well opening together (especially in australia but then that is a bit of a harsh test) but looking back at the india series last year they seemed to do ok in that one (especially bearing in mind that strauss didnt make that many runs). I suppose that vaughan opening gives england a right-left combination that could upset the bowler's line a bit more. Vaughan is more likely to take the attack to the opposition than either cook or strauss. Also as vaughan and cook made century opening partnerships in both innings in the second test v sri lanka i think that it is a bit harsh to call it stupid:) Debatable perhaps but i think it can be justified. The problem really is where then to play strauss if you have him in the team. He isnt a number 3 IMO. As you say, the net effect of the change seems to be decrease the runs that vaughan scores so maybe a strauss/cook opening partnership would be better.:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I tend to look at openers, not opening partnerships TBH. It's too easy to miss the fact that one opener is bad if his partner is good.

As an opener the most criminal thing you can do is get 43 or so, then get out. The very worst. Yet if both openers do that there's probably a century-partnership on the board. And if one opener gets 70-odd while the other gets 40-odd, that could be 130-140.

It was exactly the same with Aakash Chopra and Virender Sehwag a few years ago. Sehwag's superlativeness meant Chopra's paucity was being talked-up as excellent performance, because their opening stands were usually big.

Vaughan as an opener has never, ever convinced me, and to put him as an opener when Strauss is in the side is just crazy, IMO. It made an element of sense if they were trying to get Shah in... but they weren't. :wacko: That too was poor.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Poor form from Strauss and Cook, running on the pitch. :nono: Can win this game without resorting to such tactics.

And I see lots of posters reading the thread, sorry for those who've already read this, but I'd ask again
BTW, reminder to anyone reading this thread who hasn't already to vote on this poll. We really want everyone who's anyone on CW to vote here.
:p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Vettori on, minor victory for us.

Let's see how much turn there is - my presumption would be not-much-to-nothing.

Cut to the cover fence 1st ball.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England batsmen looking comfortable here, NZ not even looking like getting a wicket. Only rain will prevent a tied up series for mine. In fact I'd even give England at least a 50/50chance even if they were bowled out with the current lead.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dunno about that TBH, this wicket's flattened-out (at least with the sun out) and I won't feel comfortable setting anything less than 400 (which we obviously should do from here).

If the cloud rolls back in (which apparently it is due to do again tomorrow) then things might change back again but right now batting should be easy for anyone.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
50 for Cook. Sure most England fans remember what happened last time Cook was dropped on not-many? Last 2 times in fact.

Made 81 and 118.

McCullum could be costly.

Cook manages to get his landmark just before Lunch too.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dunno about that TBH, this wicket's flattened-out (at least with the sun out) and I won't feel comfortable setting anything less than 400 (which we obviously should do from here).

If the cloud rolls back in (which apparently it is due to do again tomorrow) then things might change back again but right now batting should be easy for anyone.
I couldn't see NZ successfully chasing anything over 300 here, especially if England bowl anything like they did in the first innings and continously make the batsmen play.

JHutch

Cricket Spectator
Vaughan as an opener has never, ever convinced me, and to put him as an opener when Strauss is in the side is just crazy, IMO.QUOTE]

Never, ever? Even when he was world number one, scored over 600 runs against australia in australia (2002-3) and got 900 runs in 7 matches against india and sri lanka in the 2002 season? What more does he have to do? You must set very high standards:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, never convinced me even then. Even then I was saying I'd have preferred him at three.

In the summer of 2002 and the Adelaide Test of 2002\03 he was astoundingly lucky with dropped catches and Umpiring decisions, and while the next 3 centuries he scored (in 4 innings) were excellent, he had always got out far, far too often for 20s, 30s and 40s and this continued once more after those 3.

Whereas at three, his strokeplaying game is perfectly suited and last summer he looked better, for my money, than he ever has. So what happens? Yes, he goes straight back to the top of the order. 8-)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Heath getting more TV time as Sky show a replay of the guy falling over and spilling his beer from yesterday. Still hilarious.

Cook and Strauss look very comfortable at the moment. England might actually want to declare before the close of play, say score 100 runs this session and another 80-100 in the first 3/4 of the third to bowl a few overs at Bell and How tonight.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Heath getting more TV time as Sky show a replay of the guy falling over and spilling his beer from yesterday. Still hilarious.

Cook and Strauss look very comfortable at the moment. England might actually want to declare before the close of play, say score 100 runs this session and another 80-100 in the first 3/4 of the third to bowl a few overs at Bell and How tonight.
With so much time left i dont think theres any need to declare, lets tire the NZ's out as much as possible in the field. Ideally we'd like to bat till lunch tomorrow with a lead of 500+. That gives us 5 sessions with attacking fields, which should be enough even if the wicket has flattened out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
With so much time left i dont think theres any need to declare, lets tire the NZ's out as much as possible in the field. Ideally we'd like to bat till lunch tomorrow with a lead of 500+. That gives us 5 sessions with attacking fields, which should be enough even if the wicket has flattened out.
Agree fully with that TBH, get as many as we possibly can for mine. If you can't bowl someone out in 150 overs, no chance.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair point but I'm looking at it from the view of the New Zealand openers; personally I feel they'd be happier to see England bat out the day than declare and force them to bat for 5-6 overs tonight.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
That was my first thought, the only terribly handsome fella in the clip - and we all know he went into modelling after his career.
LOL errrr yes that :laugh:...given he said his partner was watching the cricket with him, and there was a women sitting with that man, that was my reasoning.