• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bit surprised at Martin going around the wicket to Cook. Kinda negates some of his movement. I can see why he's doing it - perhaps less chance of losing his length and getting carved through point, but I'd prefer to see him accentuate his angle.
Martin has only ever moved it away from left-handers when I've seen (sure it's not what he's done every delivery he's ever bowled and all) so going around-the-wicket all the time makes perfect sense for my money.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Evidence that the curator has actively defied the NZ management. Bloody fools. 8-)
Seriously, there's few things in cricket that **** me this much. How bloody annoying must it be to have a groundsman who prepares whatever he feels like preparing rather than what he's asked to prepare?

Honestly, groundsmen who don't take orders and make it clear they don't take orders should be sacked on-the-spot for my money.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
NZ need Mills to bowl at Vaughan with this new-ball, as much as possible, for my money. And likewise can see Martin troubling Cook more than Mills.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And Mills just cannot get a bowl at Vaughan. Looks like we've got yet another rubbish quality cricket-ball, which still the Umpires refuse to change.

2000 Test runs for Alastair Cook.
Youngest England player ever to reach the mark.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Or the bowlers are complaining about nothing.
TBF, this ball's not done much, and it'd hardly be the first time of late.

Mind, Mills when he finally gets a bowl at Vaughan beats him 3 times in an over. Gillespie warming-up too.

Gillespie on and not a distinguished start, only just hits the cut-strip. But a pretty damn good ball at Cook off the fifth.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Been watching the football but it looks like a decent start for a wicket which Cricinfo said was a green top this morning. Where is the green grass by the way?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Been mostly taken off, apparently. Seems whoever's in charge of New Zealand's decision-making has made the mistake of deciding what to do at the toss on the day before the game, rather than the morn of the game.

In Chris Martin's last 12 games against Test-class teams, before today, he averages 28.69. Despite taking just 3 of what I'd call impressive hauls (the first, on this ground against SL, the seventh, at The Wandereres, and the most recent, at Hamilton).

50 partnership up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oram on. If anyone can extract something out of a slightly green wicket, he can.

Plenty of bounce from his opening 2 deliveries, so if he can get an edge it should carry.

PY

International Coach
Love listening to cricket at these NZ grounds, the crack of a middled shot almost sounds like I'm there. Good times. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd started to think so in recent weeks - since noticing the Psalm in your sig and since spotting your use of the No smiley directed at Tarick's "I like sin" comment.

Hadn't realised before, however.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd probably be best advised to wait to Lunch, but I'll go for it now as I'm off for a bath and some supper at Lunch so... question for Kiwis (I see John, DoG and Geg reading this thread for starters): what are you thinking of Vettori's (or whoever's - blame Bracewell if you prefer :p) decision so far?

Strikes me, as I say earlier, as hasty, based on looking at the pitch yesterday not today.