• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Won 20, lost 24 (including this-'un) apparently.

Against Bangladesh, his record reads: won 2, lost 2.

So that's won 18 lost 22 against Test-class teams (and the toss makes no difference against Bangladesh). Excluding 2005 as well it's won 15 lost 20.

chalky

International Debutant
Predictions for the 1st session:

England 80/1 Cook out to Martin caught behind the wicket.

FTR Sporting Index offering England 1st innings @ 325 - 345.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Vaughan will do very well to survive the opening session if New Zealand catch well and Mills, Gillespie and Martin bowl well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FFS, the Sky Sports themetune - Dreadlock Holiday [Classical Remix] - is the most maddening cricket theme I've ever heard. Why couldn't they have stuck to the old World Cricket Centre thing they used to use?

Paul Allott added to the commentary-team, however, which is a positive. Shame Nasser Hussain is off home.

chalky

International Debutant
I think quicker bouncier pitch will suit Vaughan more than the slow tacky wickets he has been playing on in the 1st test & Sri Lanka

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
W20 L24.

The chance of having a record like that or worse over a 44-match career is 32 %...
Beaten to it Haakon. :cool:
Won 20, lost 24 (including this-'un) apparently.

Against Bangladesh, his record reads: won 2, lost 2.

So that's won 18 lost 22 against Test-class teams (and the toss makes no difference against Bangladesh). Excluding 2005 as well it's won 15 lost 20.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think quicker bouncier pitch will suit Vaughan more than the slow tacky wickets he has been playing on in the 1st test & Sri Lanka
Seaming, bouncy pitches (and good catching) never suit strokeplaying openers, which is what Vaughan will insist on being.

Bounce is good for Vaughan; seam-movement is not.

chalky

International Debutant
FFS, the Sky Sports themetune - Dreadlock Holiday [Classical Remix] - is the most maddening cricket theme I've ever heard. Why couldn't they have stuck to the old World Cricket Centre thing they used to use?

Paul Allott added to the commentary-team, however, which is a positive. Shame Nasser Hussain is off home.
Hate Allott TBH even worse than Bob Willis for me, not quite on Ian Healy levels but still quite bad.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, but you didn't include the probability calculation. So, my post wasn't as useless as this one. :p
Was going to mention "at least you gave us the vaguely useful probability calculation". Quite glad I didn't now. :dry:

Cook off-the-mark. Martin getting some away-movement.

Evidence that the curator has actively defied the NZ management. Bloody fools. 8-)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Bit surprised at Martin going around the wicket to Cook. Kinda negates some of his movement. I can see why he's doing it - perhaps less chance of losing his length and getting carved through point, but I'd prefer to see him accentuate his angle.

Woodster

International Captain
Bit surprised at Martin going around the wicket to Cook. Kinda negates some of his movement. I can see why he's doing it - perhaps less chance of losing his length and getting carved through point, but I'd prefer to see him accentuate his angle.
Yes something Martin is very keen on doing to Cook, cramping him for room and luring him into a stroke just outside his off stump.