• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wonder whether the cameras will pick-out a certain former Kiwi seamer, and more to the point, whether any of the coms will recognise him?
I did hear that Robert Kennedy was going. Not sure whether anyone'll care if he's recognised or not, to be honest.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Still not got that ignore-list working yet?

And PLEASE don't "to be honest" when I'm around! It's the most awful, forced sounding catchprase ever when written-out in full. "TBH" or not at all!

HeathDavisSpeed

Still not got that ignore-list working yet?
It was a threat, not a promise.

And PLEASE don't "to be honest" when I'm around! It's the most awful, forced sounding catchprase ever when written-out in full. "TBH" or not at all!
To be honest, I cannot stand pointless acronyms. Would you write anything else using forced acronyms? I hope not. The only acronyms that should be used are 'official' ones like LASER or SCUBA or ICC or BCCI or BCCI not ones that promote laziness.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It was a threat, not a promise.
Hmm, sounded like a promise to mine ears:
I shall have to seek out the ignore function and put you on it
To be honest, I cannot stand pointless acronyms. Would you write anything else using forced acronyms? I hope not. The only acronyms that should be used are 'official' ones like LASER or SCUBA or ICC or BCCI or BCCI not ones that promote laziness.
Pointless acronyms and TBH are totally different things. TBH is the most essential acronym there is (well, it's not even an acronym, merely an abbreviation, but that's by-the-by [notice - not BTB!]) and should be used at all costs. On that note, I was shocked to see that of my last 8 posts in this thread, just 2 were complete with it. My standards are slipping.

HeathDavisSpeed

Hmm, sounded like a promise to mine ears:
Pointless acronyms and TBH are totally different things.
there is (well, it's not even an acronym, merely an abbreviation, but that's by-the-by [notice - not BTB!]) and should be used at all costs. On that note, I was shocked to see that of my last 8 posts in this thread, just 2 were complete with it. My standards are slipping.
This is where you and I differ. You seem to think truncations are a sign of being a higher form of intelligence, whereas I find them to be cliquey, annoying and ultimately unsatisfying. I'm incredulous every time you come up with yet another pointless acronym (or truncation or abbreviation or whatever you want to call it) that you think its a good idea (c.f. MAMOH above, that although explained defeated the point of the abbreviation anyway). To my mind, abbreviations are to be shown using the apostrophe as in it is => it's and the acronym.

And with regards to my 'ignore' post, I was getting so incredibly frustrated with your opinions about O'Brien, who I've seen play countless times and bowl much, much better than Hoggard did at Seddon Park and found your comparison of Sidebottom to Malcolm Marshall vs O'Brien so astonishingly brusque and myopic to be unusually angry.

orpxsp

Banned
Congratulations to the Black caps on a excellent first test win.
I don't agree with the "don't change winning team" policy that some people seem to have though. The objective should be to win the series so choose the team that you think is gonna perform the best in the next test. Elliot in for sinclair.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This is where you and I differ. You seem to think truncations are a sign of being a higher form of intelligence, whereas I find them to be cliquey, annoying and ultimately unsatisfying. I'm incredulous every time you come up with yet another pointless acronym (or truncation or abbreviation or whatever you want to call it) that you think its a good idea (c.f. MAMOH above, that although explained defeated the point of the abbreviation anyway). To my mind, abbreviations are to be shown using the apostrophe as in it is => it's and the acronym.
Hmm, your "anger" has always struck me as typical-Heath fake anger (of the ilk of Geoff Allott and Phlegm) TBH. If you're actually serious about the issue... no, I don't think they're a sign of higher intelligence, but I certainly don't think they're cliquey at all, and certainly not ones like TBH and IMO which pretty much everyone I've ever seen use text in a less than 100% formal sphere tends to use. Most of the more obscure ones that are mainly constrained to me don't take THAT much working-out, but TBH I simply CBA with typing-out common catphrases ATT (no, no deliberate extended use) and using 3 or 4 capital letters is so much easier.
And with regards to my 'ignore' post, I was getting so incredibly frustrated with your opinions about O'Brien, who I've seen play countless times and bowl much, much better than Hoggard did at Seddon Park and found your comparison of Sidebottom to Malcolm Marshall vs O'Brien so astonishingly brusque and myopic to be unusually angry.
TBH I was rather surprised how angry you appeared to get. Said comparison was obviously to an extent in jest, of course, but I don't think I ever said O'Brien has never once in the countless hundreds of times he's picked-up a cricket-ball bowled as well as Hoggard did in the Seddon Park first-innings. Your defence of him does seem to me to be a trifle OTT, however, TBH. He's been nothing short of abysmal every time he's taken the Test field against a Test-class team. And that, really, is pretty much all anyone has said. No-one other than you has ever commented on his deeds in domestic cricket, from what I've seen - other than me, who once or twice has said "yeah, his domestic record is good".

Retox

State Vice-Captain
To be honest Rich, It did seem like every post you made was anti O'Brien it was abit over the top

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah I'm kinda beginning to appreciate that. TBH, if that's how it's appeared then I'm sorry - it seemed to me that to lightly deride O'Brien was fairly common work on this forum (well - it was), though obviously with a postcount like mine it's going to mean I do it more often than some. And that might come accross as me going OTT on the point.

One thing's for sure, for example - O'Brien is a substantially better bowler than I'll ever be. :|

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Yeah I'm kinda beginning to appreciate that. TBH, if that's how it's appeared then I'm sorry - it seemed to me that to lightly deride O'Brien was fairly common work on this forum (well - it was), though obviously with a postcount like mine it's going to mean I do it more often than some. And that might come accross as me going OTT on the point.

One thing's for sure, for example - O'Brien is a substantially better bowler than I'll ever be. :|
I'm sure we all do it (or will do it at some stage)

Doesn't really worry me I'm not a huge fan :laugh:

Natman20

International Debutant
I think Sinclair has a lot to offer NZ in tests. I think he should be given one more go. Elliot is not likely to perform any better IMO.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Fulton > Sinclair
Styris > Sinclair

In the case of Styris more so due to his all-round ability in the team, and in years to come I'm sure we'll have Hay/Ryder > Sinclair. Unless he scores heavy over a long period he'll get dropped like a streaker in the near vicinity of Roy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Has anyone been able to discern any alterior motives for Styris' Test retirement? Seemed exceedingly odd to me, with a relatively decent record like his, especially as he's just 32, hasn't left the game completely, and is hardly subject to the door being hammered down (witness Sinclair and Taylor, who before this last game had far-from-convincing cases, being easy selections).

Is there more Bracewell sentiment anywhere to be seen? Or someone else?

Days of Grace

International Captain
Nah, I believe it when he says that his body can't handle 5 day tests AND one-dayers. He wants to play in the 2011 world cup, so it seems logical.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Perhaps its a move to make him more available for other forms of money earning while resting himself for other forms of the game.

IPL and commentary, really hope he kicks some of the more dire guys out of the box when we tour.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Styris is good with the mic then is he?

If he thinks he can make WC2011 fair play to him, but I can't help recalling similar forlorn sentiments from the (admittedly far more skillful and far more injury-prone) Chris Cairns.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He was quite good at the Bangers vs NZ XI T20 thing believe he commentated the golden oldies vs U19 very well indeed. Also Bond is apparently gun at commentary if my readings of the ICL thread are correct, wonder if he could ever do that here?

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Meanwhile, Larsen added demand for tickets to the second test against England starting tomorrow has been phenomenal and two days of the match could be total sellouts.