• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Telling Heath to slow down would be like telling Sidebottom mullets aren't awesome.
Mullets are soooo last year. Ask Jason Eaton.

By the way, are you getting any compensation from the open cast mine staying open in Waihi, or does that "not effect" Waihi Beach?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well Richie that may be because you haven't seen him as much as us Kiwi's have.
It wouldn't be likely to be due to much else, would it? :p

FWIW, though, I did see that SL innings and it was a terrific one, absolutely superb. But it was still a pretty strokeplaying one by the standards of the first-innings here.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Mullets are soooo last year. Ask Jason Eaton.

By the way, are you getting any compensation from the open cast mine staying open in Waihi, or does that "not effect" Waihi Beach?
Well as I am currently sitting at my halls of residence in Wellington I haven't the foggiest Heathster.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hoggard possibly operating off a slightly shortened run-up, and Ambrose up to the stumps with a 14-over-old ball. VITSTL.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It wouldn't be likely to be due to much else, would it? :p

FWIW, though, I did see that SL innings and it was a terrific one, absolutely superb. But it was still a pretty strokeplaying one by the standards of the first-innings here.
Taylor gets a pretty bad rap on here, I actually rate him slighter higher than Ryder, his ethic is clearly better and that goes a long way in a game where mental attrition can be every bit if not more important than technique.

And on the note of off topic talk, it's only one of the many benefits of having the most off topic kiwi back in action.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Fleming 30 from 37.
How 11 from 43
Admittedly we don't want to lose a load of wickets and slump to another ignominious 4th day loss, but c'mon Jamie, lets try and get Flemo on strike a bit more.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Taylor gets a pretty bad rap on here, I actually rate him slighter higher than Ryder, his ethic is clearly better and that goes a long way in a game where mental attrition can be every bit if not more important than technique.
KiWi has been saying the exact same thing for at least a couple of weeks, FWIW.

Fleming has looked to be playing on a totally different surface to everyone, so far this game. Only he and McCullum have scored with real pace, but McCullum has obviously made an effort to do so. Fleming has simply looked like he's doing it without trying.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Tight bowling on a slow pitch. How's doing just fine at the moment, he shouldn't force the pace till he feels comfortable. Particularly if you consider that we have the strokeplay of Oram, Taylor and McCullum in the bank if we lose Fleming.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
KiWi has been saying the exact same thing for at least a couple of weeks, FWIW.

Fleming has looked to be playing on a totally different surface to everyone, so far this game. Only he and McCullum have scored with real pace, but McCullum has obviously made an effort to do so. Fleming has simply looked like he's doing it without trying.
He's looked like that pretty much since it was announced he wasn't the captain anymore. On the one hand, that sort of laissez faire attitude has been wonderful to watch. But on the other its seemingly made him much more vulnerable to getting out in the 30's and 40's.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Tight bowling on a slow pitch. How's doing just fine at the moment, he shouldn't force the pace till he feels comfortable. Particularly if you consider that we have the strokeplay of Oram, Taylor and McCullum in the bank if we lose Fleming.
Not talking about blazing boundaries all around the park. But just... a little nudge into the gap here and there...then again, hitting the gaps has never been How's strong point.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Does anyone know if we're scheduled to lose any play to rain the next 2 days? If not and this match was drawn, it'd be the first drawn Test without interruption I can remember for a long time. Last one I can think of that involved England would've been, what, Old Trafford 1998?
Been a few i reckon...v Pakistan at Lords in 06? Nagpur 06?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Not talking about blazing boundaries all around the park. But just... a little nudge into the gap here and there...then again, hitting the gaps has never been How's strong point.
I'd rather Jamie holds on to his wicket while the ball is still relatively new than risk his wicket at all. I just think Fleming's fantastic batting at the other end makes us forget that this pitch is 4 days old and very hard to score off.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nearly Tea. Will Harmison bowl before it?

MSP surely be into the attack sometime soon too.

Think I'll be heading to bed, TBH. Enjoy the rest of today's play, Kiwi boys. You're more likely to win this game than us.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'd rather Jamie holds on to his wicket while the ball is still relatively new than risk his wicket at all. I just think Fleming's fantastic batting at the other end makes us forget that this pitch is 4 days old and very hard to score off.
True, though he nearly threw it away there. C'mon Flem...keep it on the ground.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Nagpur you might have a point. But I'm pretty sure there was an amount of play lost at Lord's in 2006, though the game might still have been drawn without it.
can't find any mention of an interruption and there were 435odd overs bowled before the draw was declared on the fifth evening