• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, you're not, as I imagine you'd probably be Deceptively D-ire Dreadful Davis. I was talking about Steve Davis. We have two Australians, both of whom are renowned for their dubious decision-making.
Harsh. I am actually also a qualified umpire as well as being a former exceptionally quick fast bowler.

My decision making is as quick as my bowling. No waiting for the Slow Finger of Doom with me.

>>>>>>>>>>WHOOOOOOOSHHHHH>>>>>>>>>

Up goes the Trigger Finger!

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
"I've been guilty in the past of not being able to pull back and consolidate through the remainder of the innings," McCullum said yesterday. "That's probably the most pleasing aspect, getting away to a quick start, then pulling back, knocking it around to get us through. Things are going pretty good at the moment, now it's about trying to maintain it as long as I can." McCullum

LIAR!

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Aweful shot in the second to last over of the day from McCullum, he had the potential to make a really big score if he'd made it to tomorrow. We'll be really fortunate to reach close to 400 now. Much rests on this pair, especially Taylor who played extremely well.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Suprise suprise Sinclair didn't get many. :laugh:

I wonder if the ICL would like a trade Sinclair for Adams

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Very interesting day of cricket so far, it has to be said. A few pleasing aspects - How and Taylor batting well mainly. DIdn't get to see much of it though as I was in the city most of the day.

Looking forward to tomorrow. :)

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Should Taylor be shot for playing so slowly though?

Should the batsmen be lambasted for not playing their 'natural' game, should they try play as they did in the ODI's?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Should the batsmen be lambasted for not playing their 'natural' game, should they try play as they did in the ODI's?
A strike rate of 44 is perfectly acceptable on the first day of a test for mine if you're a batsman just starting your test career coming in at 5.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
But there is a train of thought that suggests if Taylor and Oram had decided to play their natural game the Blackcaps would be further along at the end of play.

Flem274*

123/5
Like what I've seen from the NZ openers this morning especially How. Has all the tools really to be a reasonably good test match batsman IMO (plays very straight, takes good strides and leaves well).

How to score a century this innings.
That's a very big call.

Though he effortlessly pulls a short delivery from Harmison for a single in the opening over. Typical Harmison so far, though a bit slower than usual - short and smashed by Bell there. Now one down leg.
Scarily close to being a brilliant call.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I haven't seen a single delivery, but here's Andrew Miller's take on Harmison's performance.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/nzveng/content/current/story/341131.html

Is he being fair?
Pretty much.

We all know Harmison is a daisy, but there is little excuse for the lack of pace.

It doesnt look like he wants to take his body to the place where you get extra pace for a lot of extra pain.

If he is going to be bowling 130 kph for the rest of his career then goodbye.

I still want to see him charging in in the future.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But there is a train of thought that suggests if Taylor and Oram had decided to play their natural game the Blackcaps would be further along at the end of play.
And there's another, more reasonable school of thought that says "Shut Up"

Taylor lambasted for playing slowly? Well, why don't you go and watch another 20:20. They really hit the ball hard at those games. But this match is a test match and the batsman should play the innings that the team requires. Ross comes in with four wickets down for not enough runs and you want him to smash the ball? Yeah, it would have been ****ing priceless if he'd been out attempting one of those patented smears through mid-wicket.

Really, I do wonder about some people. I can only hope you are taking the piss.