• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Guptill
Papps
Flynn
Hay
Broom
Elliot
Weston (wk)
Houghton
Southee
Scott
Bennet

Nicol
Todd
Hiini
Interesting choices. Firstly, I will say that I've seen a lot less domestic cricket this year than in any other of the last 2 years. Now, out of those players, I've never actually seen Guptill or Bennet(t?) play. I've seen all the others, but I've never seen Weston keep. Frankly, I can't imagine he's better than Bevan Griggs, but unless Stu Mills comes back to cricket, there's not much to choose. The other candidate, BJ Watling hasn't impressed me that much to be honest.

Realistically, I can't see Hiini or Houghton getting in there (or Weston for that matter) when they actually come to pick the team. Houghton's too raw, and whilst I rate him (I picked him before he'd even played for Wellington as I recall), I would imagine the selectors will reserve judgement until next year. I rate Hiini too, but I can't really see much reason for having Scott, Hiini and Elliott in the squad. The rest seem pretty reasonable selections for my money; though I would be very surprised if the selectors didn't pick James Marshall and Craig Cumming. Other left-field picks ay include Todd Astle, Corey Anderson or Aaron Redmond.

bombdaddy68er

Cricket Spectator
I do despair for the NZ education system sometimes.

I am someone who played cricket in Dunedin for 11 years. I know Geoff (not well though, although I spent two hours in a car with him once), and I know he wasn't particularly loved as a coach by players.
hes got a bad reputation at otago cricket ay, gotta bit of arrogance about him, apart from that hes a good sort. b-radikal roddens a champ

bombdaddy68er

Cricket Spectator
Craig Cumming is surely a better batsman than James Marshall any day of any given week?
get a brain u cant say that. they both have theyr gud and bad days. marshal performs pretty gud at domestic level so hes got a bit on cumming. cumming has diabetes and he scored 86* inda final so hes a rockstar in his own right

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He top-edged a ball over third man's head for six, which landed just over the rope - the fielder McKay came in and if he had stayed on the rope, there was half a chance he would have caught it, and he skied another one that was missed by third man running in to the 30m circle, but I'm pretty sure he didn't get a hand on it. Pretty sure the latter one came when he was between 100 and 150 - can't remember about the former though.
Neither exactly what I'd call a chance then really, so a superlative innings.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
get a brain u cant say that. they both have theyr gud and bad days. marshal performs pretty gud at domestic level so hes got a bit on cumming. cumming has diabetes and he scored 86* inda final so hes a rockstar in his own right
Last I checked Marshall had done quite a bit less than Cumming at the domestic level, hence said comment.

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
Cumming needs to stay out the side. How has had a spell away from the national set-up and has worked on his technical faults (even if he was shown up on the faster Australian wickets - but who hasn't?) - we need guys like him. Plus he's younger and very fast in the field, he adds more to the team side of the game. Hopefully Fulton will take a look at what How has done.

Cummings seems to get out the same way and hasn't shown any progression whatsoever. Someone like Papps (dependent on form) should be in front of him.

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
Interesting choices. Firstly, I will say that I've seen a lot less domestic cricket this year than in any other of the last 2 years. Now, out of those players, I've never actually seen Guptill or Bennet(t?) play. I've seen all the others, but I've never seen Weston keep. Frankly, I can't imagine he's better than Bevan Griggs, but unless Stu Mills comes back to cricket, there's not much to choose. The other candidate, BJ Watling hasn't impressed me that much to be honest.

Realistically, I can't see Hiini or Houghton getting in there (or Weston for that matter) when they actually come to pick the team. Houghton's too raw, and whilst I rate him (I picked him before he'd even played for Wellington as I recall), I would imagine the selectors will reserve judgement until next year. I rate Hiini too, but I can't really see much reason for having Scott, Hiini and Elliott in the squad. The rest seem pretty reasonable selections for my money; though I would be very surprised if the selectors didn't pick James Marshall and Craig Cumming. Other left-field picks ay include Todd Astle, Corey Anderson or Aaron Redmond.
I've never seen Weston keep either, but if he can, he should be there - his stats are quite remarkable.

Anderson I would obviously like to see there, Redmond is getting on these days and probably missed his chance, and Todd Astle hasnt really done anything since hitting the scene.

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
Interesting side. Would prefer:

Guptill
Papps
Flynn
Hay
Broom
Elliot
Weston (wk)
Houghton
Southee
Scott
Bennet

Nicol
Todd
Hiini

Not sure on the skipper. I think Weston is a better keeper than Watling (I saw Weston keep for our school side and Taranaki and he's fairly decent (cue Heath calling me biased), not great but our current crop of keepers apart from Van Wyk don't really set the world on fire)
I could live with that team but take issue with a couple of selections.

Papps - we know what he's capable of, and I cant see him benefiting from going on an A tour at all. His problem is a case of the 'yips' at international level and any form shown on this tour wouldnt necessarily be a good indicator of him being ready to hit the international circuit again.

Houghton - To be honest I haven't seen a lot of him so its hard to comment. Ive seen more of Hira, and thats why i picked him. I think 2 years, Nic Beard will probably be better than both of them.

Nicol - God loves a spinner who can actually hold his own with the bat. I know he start off as batsman who could bowl a bit, but his bowling has kicked on so much this year he could almost be picked as a second spinner in a test lineup.

Todd - Fallen away slightly in the 2nd half of the year.

Hiini - see above.

Southee - Not sure if he will be on the A tour. From all accounts he seems destined to tour England so im not sure if it would be wise after a long tour to then send him away with the A's.

Scott - Good stats I must admit, but I have never rated him. He seems to come from a long line of journeyman who have performed, year after year, in the domestic comp but never made the step up. See Lance Hamilton. Just not quick enough, and not consistent enough to get away with it like Vaas. Will be cannonfodder.

HeathDavisSpeed

Anderson I would obviously like to see there, Redmond is getting on these days and probably missed his chance, and Todd Astle hasnt really done anything since hitting the scene.
I wasn't saying I would pick them. Knowing the selectors though, there's bound to be a couple of bolters in the squad and these guys seem the most likely suspects.

HeathDavisSpeed

Then who would you pick? Just for arguments sake.
Don't have time to go through this now, but I will later. Personally, for an A Team I think you need a good mix of young up and comers who will learn from the experience with a couple of experienced heads to impart the knowledge and to lead the team. For this, people like Cumming or Papps would be ideal.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Happy times is 'ere.

O'Brien injures his toe and Gillespie is called in as cover. Maybe there is such a thing as justice?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Doesn't make our lineup any stronger, or any weaker.
Well it might not do, but has Gillespie not currently got rather more to recommend him than O'Brien?

From a want-to-face-the-best-opposition-possible POV, I'd far rather see Gillespie than O'Brien.