• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South Africa in Bangladesh

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Amla and Harris to possibly play in their maiden ODI's, having been included in the squad, we could see Harris and Botha together in a game, be interesting.Philander returns to the squad, along with Alviro Peterson, who last played in 2006. I know Peterson's two games were against Zimbabwe, but he did decently, does anyone know why he hasn't played since? Hope he does well.

Anyway the squad now includes six players of colour, hopefully this will keep Arendse off their backs.

Squad
Graeme Smith (capt), Herschelle Gibbs, AB de Villiers (wk), JP Duminy, Alviro Petersen, Hashim Amla, Albie Mørkel, Vernon Philander, Paul Harris, Johan Botha, Morne Mørkel, Dale Steyn, Charl Langeveld, Andre Nel
Been waching some of the Lions MTN games online and aside from Jimmy Cook's son, Petersen has been their only outstanding batsman. Played a couple of fine (really attacking) knocks. Although, his tendency to go hot and cold is very alarming and having him in the top three alongside Smith and Gibbs should possibly be avoided.

My ODI XI

Smith
Gibbs
Amla
Duminy
AB
A. Mørkel
Philander
M. Mørkel
Steyn
Harris
Langeveldt

Not a lot of batting (especially in regard to experience) and I wouldn't trust Philander so high but Botha is useless and Langeveldt whilst not the same bowler he was a few years back is South Africa's only 'trusted' death bowler. Philander does it for the Cobra's so maybe he can be an option as well. I would play Albie Mørkel primarily as a batsman, shouldn't expect many overs from him but his good enough to bat comfortably in the top six.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I'll start off the proceedings here.

SA completely dominating with Smith and McKenzie still at the crease and scoring at a steady rate. Surprisingly, Botha has been dropped for Peterson, not sure whether that is due to injury or not.

Smith on 85 and McKenzie on 59.

SA-Eddie

Cricket Spectator
ND McKenzie not out 95 193 13 0
Graeme Smith not out 133 151 19 1

South Africa are 246 for 0 after 57.4 overs

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
371-0
We all know (apart from a few myopic fans) that its worthless runs against rubbish, but as someone that has held the torch for McKenzie for quite a while its great to see him get a big score next to his name.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
400 partnership up, Smith and McKenzie only 14 runs away from beating Mankand and Roy’s test record.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
405 for 0 at the close. Regardless of the opposition and flatness of the surface it has been a remarkable effort considering there has been practically only one chance offered all day.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Game plan from South Africa should be to bat another two days and score around 1300 runs (with Smith scoring in excess of 650) and then declare on fourth morning and then try and win the game by an innings and a 1000 runs.

adharcric

International Coach
Game plan from South Africa should be to bat another two days and score around 1300 runs (with Smith scoring in excess of 650) and then declare on fourth morning and then try and win the game by an innings and a 1000 runs.
:lol:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: Coud you imagine if they tried

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I'm thinking about it. Who knows how long the openers will be there for and then after that you have solid batsmen - SA might score 800 and just go for miestones.

Smith to triple.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The interesting thing is Graeme Smith's strike rate. He could very well push for Lara's record tomorrow - and unlike Lara's game, SA would still win the game from there.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Correct me if I am wrong but is this partnership the biggest (including test and first class) by two cricketers who attended the same school?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
The interesting thing is Graeme Smith's strike rate. He could very well push for Lara's record tomorrow - and unlike Lara's game, SA would still win the game from there.
Agreed, I reckon he could go all the way, just as long as he doesn't do a Jayawardene and get out a few runs short, because that would be when he would get out.

crickmate

U19 12th Man
since there is a chance I would suggest them to go ahead to bat until tea on fourth day and score somthing around 1600. This will ensure that no one will be able to break this record ever. Since BD will be exhausted fielding continuously for four days, I reckon SA will be able easily bowl them out twice on the fifth day.